• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Riding Against both Father and Son

So, I got curious and did a bit of snooping around. There are a bunch of riders in the pro peloton who have been riding against both a father and his son. Here are a few examples:

Mauri and Wim Vansevenant (any riders who turned pro in 2008 or earlier)
Rick and Erik Zabel (same as above)
Pavel and Alexei (2005 or earlier)

Anyone who can think of others (doesn't have to involve currently active riders)?

So, I got curious and did a bit of snooping around. There are a bunch of riders in the pro peloton who have been riding against both a father and his son. Here are a few examples:

Mauri and Wim Vansevenant (any riders who turned pro in 2008 or earlier)
Rick and Erik Zabel (same as above)
Pavel and Alexei (2005 or earlier)

Anyone who can think of others (doesn't have to involve currently active riders)?

Rebellin needs to be in a race with Mauri Vansevenant and Pavel Sivakov to race with both dads and sons of that three pairs.

If Rebellin starts in a race with Mathieu van der Poel, he also races with both son and dad, as he did some races with Adrie van der Poel in the beginning of the 90s.

Valverde, although active at the same time, didn't take part in any race with Aleksey Sivakov, but he could have done the same.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Rebellin needs to be in a race with Mauri Vansevenant and Pavel Sivakov to race with both dads and sons of that three pairs.

If Rebellin starts in a race with Mathieu van der Poel, he also races with both son and dad, as he did some races with Adrie van der Poel in the beginning of the 90s.

Valverde, although active at the same time, didn't take part in any race with Aleksey Sivakov, but he could have done the same.

Okay, I wasn't being that literal. Not necessarily "in the same race as" but simply "raced at the same time". Just thought "Career Overlapping With both Father and Son" would make too clunky a title.

Okay, I wasn't being that literal. Not necessarily "in the same race as" but simply "raced at the same time". Just thought "Career Overlapping With both Father and Son" would make too clunky a title.

I understood.

I was trying to go to another level. :p

Just to show Rebellin's longevity. He probably is trying to wait until he can race with Vino's childs or something like that.

What about the Van Poppels? Or the Roches?
I suspect the Martinellis would be a stretch, since Giuseppe stopped way back in 1985, and Davide only turned pro in 2012.

I think he only rode against Adrie VDP on the road, but Sven Nys did cross against Adrie, Mathieu and David.

And now I'm pretty sure Mathieu and David has been doing cross against Thibau - or at least will at some point.

Reactions: Bonimenier
I suspect the Martinellis would be a stretch, since Giuseppe stopped way back in 1985, and Davide only turned pro in 2012.

And now I'm pretty sure Mathieu and David has been doing cross against Thibau - or at least will at some point.

Danny and Boy van Poppel are brothers, not father and son. Embarrassing mistake.

Armstrong won Stephen Roche's last race, the 1993 WC and Nico rode the 2009 TdeF with Armstrong.

Armstrong won Stephen Roche's last race, the 1993 WC and Nico rode the 2009 TdeF with Armstrong.

Yeah, a few more guys would have raced against Roche Snr and Jnr as well, Rebellin of course, Cipollini, Jose Luis Arrieta, Laurent Brochard, Giuseppe Guerini and more I would say. Whether they actually raced directly against them I don't know, but their careers crossed.

I am sure there were a few who raced against Gilbert Duclos-Lassalle and Herve as well.

Also about Rebellin (the omnipresent grand dad of world cycling), he raced against both Nicola Minali and Riccardo Minali.

Valverde did the same, as he raced Milano - Sanremo in 2002 against Nicola and Abu Dhabi Tour 2018 and Vuelta a Burgos 2020 against Riccardo.

Federico Moreira is Uruguay's best ever cyclist. He won the Vuelta del Uruguay 6 times, and although he stopped international racing in the early 2000s he continued to race in his home Tours until 2006, retiring at the age of 45. Agustín and Mauricio, his sons, started racing in the Vuelta del Uruguay and the Rutas de América in 2016, before relocating to Spain where Mauri turned pro with Caja Rural. As a result, a number of veterans of the Rioplatense scene will have faced both Fede and his sons, such as Richard Mascarañas, Néstor Pias, Matías Medici, Héctor Águilar. Fabricio Ferrari even raced againist Federico in his formative years and then teamed with Mauricio at Caja Rural.

TRENDING THREADS