• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Riding on snow & ice

Apr 3, 2009
Visit site
Wifey is getting me the Specialized Crux (aluminum frame/ carbon fork) for Christmas. I won't be competing in any cross events, just using it to ride outside in the winter on the weekends. I live on dirt road, which is fine for a road bike in the spring/summer/fall seasons. However once the snow falls a road bike would not be able to traverse our road. So given that I only have to ride maybe less than a quarter mile to get out onto a paved road, what tips/ advice could you more experienced cross riders provide me? I am not going to get studded tires because they'd just get worn down on the pavement. Some other useful information:

-the road is plowed and dirt spread by our town's highway dept during and after storms.
-our 2003 & 2009 toyota corolla's navigate the road fine so 4 wheel drive is not neccessary.
-while not neccessarily icey, the roads become packed snow mixed with the aforementioned dirt that is spread around.

And apologies if this ought to have been in another forum folder.

-chris

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Chris, no substitute for experience. Enjoy the new ride! A word on tyres, from your description of your road, stick to a file tread. No need for knobblies and the rest of your road commute will be more enjoyable.

Apr 3, 2009
Visit site
JayKosta said:
I recommend getting some fenders - winter road grit & slop is a real pain.
Without them you'll have full front & rear 'racing stripes'.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

I've never quite had a problem with racing stripes. For whatever reason the roads in New England once cleared dry out fairly quickly and whatever wet spots remain are quite small. That being said, I have gotten them before, just never epic Paris-Roubaix style ones.

As for tires, the ones that were on the Crux I demo'd were not too knobby and it seemed like I was going along at quite a nice pace. Another interesting tidbit is, back in late July I demo'd a Tarmac and this Crux seemed to accelerate better.

May 11, 2009
Visit site
Make sure your new bike has standover height that suits you. I built up a cross bike for the same purpose as you; problem was the frame I bought was to high (higher BB, more wheel clearance, and higher tires). I had to sell the frame and buy a smaller one.

I ride Conti cyclocross speed tires (low rolling resistance but good grip on hard packed dirt and grass). Not had to ride them on snow/ice yet.