• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rigoberto Uran discussion thread.

Page 15 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
In normal conditions, De Gendt, Poels and Brambilla are supposed to work for Rigo's GC. Can't see other way. Certainly they can fight for some races during the season, but Giro d'Italia won´t be one of them IMO. Brambilla had his opportunity last year; De Gendt and Poels, as they had an team upgrade, had a team status downgrade. Rigo and Kwiatkowski are GT leaders, Bakelants is Ardennes leader, IMO.

In terms of a TTT, a team like Rigo, De Gendt, Poels, Trentin, Petacchi, Brambilla, Cav, Golas, Pauwels, would be an OK team. something like 20s to 1st.

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
uran is also obviously ardennes leader. wtf has bakenlandts ever prooved there?

Bakelants is usually cooked after 200kms, look at his lousy showing in Firenze. Just a few hundred meters on the front and he was done for. Problem with Uran will be that his peak lies in May. OPQS better have a good cobbles campaign, because they aren't likely to score in the Ardennes or AGR.

Pentacycle said:
Problem with Uran will be that his peak lies in May. OPQS better have a good cobbles campaign, because they aren't likely to score in the Ardennes or AGR.
Kwiatkowski wasn't that bath last year in Amstel and Fleche Wallonie.
And this year he wont ride the cobbles races. Just focus on the Ardennes.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
MagnusMagnussen said:
Kwiatkowski wasn't that bath last year in Amstel and Fleche Wallonie.
And this year he wont ride the cobbles races. Just focus on the Ardennes.

kwiatkowski is very strong and he's also incredibly fast despite what some users here thought. lol

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
With Kwiat and Uran, they have got some strong men for the classics. I can see Kwiat win AGR already this year, with a little bit of luck.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Arredondo said:
With Kwiat and Uran, they have got some strong men for the classics. I can see Kwiat win AGR already this year, with a little bit of luck.

Yeah,I truly believe that this can be a real breakout year for him.However,I would like him to ride a bit riskier.Then he Can win these races:cool:

edit:Kwiat

Looks like habits are hard to break :)

BgxKHPnCcAELzCH.jpg

TomasC said:
Excellent interview with Rigo, in Spanish (from last August):
http://www.eltiempo.com/deportes/ciclismo/ARTICULO-WEB-NEW_NOTA_INTERIOR-12969149.html
Found it through Cycling Inquisition.
Wow!
I did not know how many times he had fallen off the bike.

He maybe should eat better during the off season. The age will catch up with him at some point if he does not stop partying and eating like crazy in November and December.

I am not sure if he knows exactly how good he is.

A bit of partying in the off-season is a good thing, especially if he wants to be at the top of his game for multiple years. Look at Wiggins, that amount of dedication is not sustainable in the long run. Better take it a bit more easy.

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Gloin22 said:
So basically same as last season then so far :D

I know... That's why I was expecting better. In 2012 and 2011 he did show something at Catalunya.

Escarabajo said:
He did not show much before the Giro last year. The expectations were higher for Henano by this time. I think he has learned how to train and prepare for the bigger objectives. so I hope.

Hope you are right and after another podium at Il Giro, I'll be satisfied. :D

Taxus4a said:
He did today one of his best ITT ever, acording the few time he lost with Tony Martin and Froome, and the time he put on Nibali. The ITT of the Giro is similar, but longer.

He is ready for the Giro. He could have been podium in Romandia, but he was working for his team mate Kiatkowski, a mistake of the team IMO.

indeed. The TTing test indicates he's sharp to battle for honors in Italy. I wasn't worried at all on his last performances, because he's been clear since the beginning of the year about building his form gradually towards Il Giro.
I dare to say he's the one who's going to worry Quitana the most

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Good to see Uran will be in form at the Giro. Rather see a good Uran fighting with the best, because of course he's got more chance to compete against the big two than guys like Basso, Scarponi and even Evans.

Arredondo said:
Good to see Uran will be in form at the Giro. Rather see a good Uran fighting with the best, because of course he's got more chance to compete against the big two than guys like Basso, Scarponi and even Evans.
I'd say he's closer to Purito than Purito is to Quintana (based on how their preparations have been so far), so I don't get your "the big two".