• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rigoberto Uran discussion thread.

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Richeypen said:
Uran and Henao arnt going to win the Giro, Wiggins might. Sky are way past hoping for a good GC placing in GTs, they want to win or bust. Personally I think that that attitude should be commended (better than Radioshack stacking the top 20 at any rate).

the goal is commendable (compared to the Shack placement game), but with an aggressive race tactic it is possible to aim very high with a Uran/Henao combo as an alternatively to Wiggins. We are only in week 1 and if Wiggins doesn't deliver in the TT, the alternative just took a hit today, unnecessarily.

Dazed and Confused said:
the goal is commendable (compared to the Shack placement game), but with an aggressive race tactic it is possible to aim very high with a Uran/Henao combo as an alternatively to Wiggins. We are only in week 1 and if Wiggins doesn't deliver in the TT, the alternative just took a hit today, unnecessarily.

We dont know how much time Wiggins would have lost without them though. If they hadnt waited Sky's victory bit could have ended today. Chances are that both of the Colombians will lose 3mins tomorrow and they will be out of it anyway. If Wiggins goes tits up then they can throw everything at a stage win (personally I rate that above a 5-10 finish)

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
cineteq said:
Wiggins obviously is to blame, but Brailsford as well for not making a decision to have Uran or Henao ahead with the main group. Uran would've been in pink. But the funny thing is that Henao looks in better shape than Uran. Sky = a-holes :(

I don't how is Wiggins is to blame. This was a DS/Brailsford decision. Brailsford said more or less in an interview afterwards on Sky that they came here to support a single leader with no back up plan.

Maybe if there was more Sky riders around they could have left one of Uran or Henao up front at the time. Wiggins always needed the help of two riders to limit his losses as much as possible and it would have been a lot more difficult if they only decided to drop one back. The TT was still in the mind when this decision was made as they knew by keeping the time loss at a minimum Wiggins could be still in pink tomorrow. If this was still to arise, the judgement call will look to be made correct so I think we maybe a bit too hasty in criticising this for the moment. Also Wiggins's form might improve as the days go on after the TT which is something I wouldn't rule out just yet. Even if Wiggins was in good form today I always thought this was one of the stages where he could get exposed as they were not long steady climbs where you can power away at a steady pace with your team controlling it along. Today was always going to have that unpredictable element about it where each team would find it hard to assert their authority over others on it.

Nevertheless, Brailsford can dress it up all he likes, for example like saying today that this teamwork brings unity to the team but Uran is no doubt livid inside at the decision as it's not everyday you get the chance to wear a leader's jersey in a GT.

Richeypen said:
We dont know how much time Wiggins would have lost without them though. If they hadnt waited Sky's victory bit could have ended today. Chances are that both of the Colombians will lose 3mins tomorrow and they will be out of it anyway. If Wiggins goes tits up then they can throw everything at a stage win (personally I rate that above a 5-10 finish)

One of the top 10 (GC) Sky riders should have stayed with the leader group. Don't know enough about the setup to know which one, but that should have been the plan from the start. The other should have stayed with Wiggins. Recall how little was left of the race when the favorites started to attack. No need to have multiple bodies to bring Wiggo back.

Anyway I hope Wiggins can recover and stay competitive and put up a fight. Its too early to pull out.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Dazed and Confused said:
OPQS (riding on your favorite brand of bikes) is a crap team for anybody with GC ambition. Its all about Cav and cobbles. Worse destination than Sky.

Not if they want to change, they do have Tour GC dreams, for quite a while Contador is on their targeted list:D

Richeypen said:
out of it from what? the win? Yes. But not the Podium. Uran was close to the Podium last year and this year him and Henao look in better shape. Besides they were going to be 3 minutes out of Wiggins, not the other contenders who are not as good as Wiggins in the TT anyway.

I understand orders are orders but let's not try to minimize the Colombians chances please. And I agree that Wiggins had the best chances but if he is in bad shape and suffering why not have a plan "B".

Escarabajo said:
out of it from what? the win? Yes. But not the Podium. Uran was close to the Podium last year and this year him and Henao look in better shape. Besides they were going to be 3 minutes out of Wiggins, not the other contenders who are not as good as Wiggins in the TT anyway.

I understand orders are orders but let's not try to minimize the Colombians chances please. And I agree that Wiggins had the best chances but if he is in bad shape and suffering why not have a plan "B".

My point being that Sky dont care about the podium, its win or nothing. They have one rider who can possibly win it and are doing everything to back him. I dont have a problem with that. They have no plan B because they dont have another rider there who can win.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
profff said:
both the colombians stop pedaling at the end and lost 5-6second to wiggins group.
they looked very demotivated.
i think they were disappointed by team decision but they accepted it because they are pro rider and being loyal to the team leader and dt order is part of their job.
there are rules in pro cycling and if you do not accept this rules especially in a team like sky you are not very clever.
especially if you are a colombian.

this hits it right on. although they should not have listened. but you are right they are professionals

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
profff said:
both the colombians stop pedaling at the end and lost 5-6second to wiggins group.
they looked very demotivated.
i think they were disappointed by team decision but they accepted it because they are pro rider and being loyal to the team leader and dt order is part of their job.
there are rules in pro cycling and if you do not accept this rules especially in a team like sky you are not very clever.
especially if you are a colombian.

Especially before the stage, Uran said that he wanted the pink after stage 7. Now not only his pink dreams are gone, his chances of podium will be gone for sure. I'm sure he's a bit disappointed with his team leader. I wonder if sky will force him to ride TDF. He has already said that he wanted to ride la vuelta and targeted the world. He said that if he rides TDF, his target the world would be dashed. I hope he and henao go to other team next year.

Escarabajo said:
I don't know but I have the gut feeling that Uran is feeling a lot better than last year. Maybe he planned his peak for the Giro and that is the reason why he has taken it a bit easier than last year in the first quarter. Maybe wrong but That what I am seeing with his pedaling in this Giro.
Congratualtions Rigo, you really look fit during this Giro.

I hope you have the consistency for three weeks.

Got to love any country where the number 1 newspaper in the country considers a rider winning a stage at the giro the number 1 story,:)

Uran_zps1c6d3196.png

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I'm sure the president will be calling too tonight. I remember when quintana and henao podiumed pais vasco. it was all over the newspapers and news. today again with a 1-2 sweep :)

the hitch said:
got to love any country where the number 1 newspaper in the country considers a rider winning a stage at the giro the number 1 story,:)

+ 100000000000

.....and about the photo's foot note: Wiggins & I are OK, we'll see what the Team decides". Great professionalism since day one & will remain loyal to Bradley until the end -- what Rigo & Henao only want for pay off is to have Wiggo delivered what he said he would... that's all :)

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Got to love any country where the number 1 newspaper in the country considers a rider winning a stage at the giro the number 1 story,:)

Indeed, that's always great to see.

Uran showed himself to be very deserving of being given leadership today, or at the very least a free role on the team. I hope they start to ride more in support of him now.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2013...igginsfroome-fiasco-of-last-years-tour_286701

Uran says Giro will not see repeat of Wiggins/Froome fiasco of last year’s Tour

I don’t know what will happen, but [Sergio] Henao and I are different than Froome. We always work for the team and we’ve never had any problems with the team,” Urán said. “We are not like Froome. I came here with the idea of helping the squad, whatever the goals may be. We shall see. We have to take it day by day.”

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
Surprisingly critical of Froome.

I hope Wiggins rides for Rigoberto now, he seems like a very nice and professional guy. He was happy to let Wiggins do his thing in the TT and then protect him in the mountains but the fact is that Wiggins has failed and should give someone else a go.

As for Rigoberto having to wait - in fact, I don't think this has actually made much difference at all. If he had been closer in the GC, Nibali would not have let him go. So it has evened itself out.

TRENDING THREADS