• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rigoberto Uran discussion thread.

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jelantik said:
Hm, you are right. It was Froome that has signed until 2014. Even if Wiggins hasn't signed with sky, do you think that Wiggins will sign with other team? I don't think so. He needs his coaches and sky training regime fits him. Besides, he knows that he got a strong team to carry him around the mountain. He would be no body if he goes to other team.

Leaving the Sky and British cycling setup is obviously a major issue but if he wants a crack at winning a second Tour next year then he'll probably have to join another team.

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
...and yes Henao is going too

from the article - "Speaking to L’Équipe at the Giro, the Colombian’s agent, Giuseppe Acquadro, said Urán is likely to leave the British team. “Unlike [Sergio] Henao, who is in the same situation, Urán won’t be staying with Sky because he wants to ride the Tour next year as a team leader, and Sky already have Froome, Wiggins and Porte, so there are too many ambitious riders and not enough space to accommodate them.”

Uran's agent seems to be saying Henao is staying at Sky, unless I am misreading that?

Bernie's eyesore said:
Uran thinks he will ride as team leader at Quick Step? He may be in for a shock.

And even if he gets leadership (or freedom at least): what does he think he can do in the Tour? He would probably grind himself to a 12th place or something.

What about Cavendish - I know OPQS have no GC man, but their entire setup is built around pulling in the flat stages for Cav to get a sprint ;).

With Cav being so dominant they don't get much help from other teams, so if they were to have Uran at the Tour in 2014 going for GC wouldn't they run into the same issues as Wiggo/Cav (Sky) in 2012 ?

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
element said:
from the article - "Speaking to L’Équipe at the Giro, the Colombian’s agent, Giuseppe Acquadro, said Urán is likely to leave the British team. “Unlike [Sergio] Henao, who is in the same situation, Urán won’t be staying with Sky because he wants to ride the Tour next year as a team leader, and Sky already have Froome, Wiggins and Porte, so there are too many ambitious riders and not enough space to accommodate them.”

Uran's agent seems to be saying Henao is staying at Sky, unless I am misreading that?

Sky chased Henao for 3 years to sign him. Brailsford was scouting Henao before the team was even founded..

So I don't think they will want to relinquish such a talent just yet, unless it becomes totally unviable. I still doubt whether Uran has the potential to win a GT, but Henao has untapped potential certainly.

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Froomador said:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/uran-linked-to-omega-pharma-quickstep

Ah finally, three weeks after I confirmed this, the cat appears from the bag

...and yes Henao is going too

Can you read English? It's says in article ''Unlike Henao" :rolleyes:

And anyway, Ryo and even myself said in winter Uran would leave so not a big surprise... and not out of nothing...

Although we have our difference over if Henao leaves or not :cool:

Pulpstar said:
What about Cavendish - I know OPQS have no GC man, but their entire setup is built around pulling in the flat stages for Cav to get a sprint ;).

With Cav being so dominant they don't get much help from other teams, so if they were to have Uran at the Tour in 2014 going for GC wouldn't they run into the same issues as Wiggo/Cav (Sky) in 2012 ?

Logically yes, but OPQS wouldn't be building the same sort of SKYtrain. Uran would have 1-2 dedicated helpers only and would be expected to fend for himself much more.

It would of course be very important he doesn't get a race lead too early.

It is perfectly normal to have a sprinter and a GC guy on a team.

As Catwhoorg says, Uran could get 2 helpers, and then 5 guys either pulling for Cav or leading him out.

I am sure Uran would accept that if he was offered it. And Cav can't really expect to have the whole of such a big-budget team pulling for him in the biggest race of the year.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Nooooo.. not Quick Step!! He has to split the team with cav. And Cav won't be happy with less man for the train. Uran just goes from one problem (GC vs sprint at sky) to another problem. Same sprinter just different GC rider. De ja vu. Can he go to some other team? Uran deserves a good team to back him up 100% if he wants to contest 2014 TDF.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Jelantik said:
Nooooo.. not Quick Step!! He has to split the team with cav. And Cav won't be happy with less man for the train. Uran just goes from one problem (GC vs sprint at sky) to another problem. Same sprinter just different GC rider. De ja vu. Can he go to some other team? Uran deserves a good team to back him up 100% if he wants to contest 2014 TDF.

Dazed and Confused said:
A Uranium powered train for Cav.

brilleaben said:
Urán is good sprinter himself, having won reduced group sprints. He's gonna fit in nicely in the train.

Do you even follow cycling?:eek:Uran doesnt need a team of ***ing idiots who will drag him atop of mountains like SBW.All he needs is a team with money,TT,and one guy to protect him,thats all

ILovecycling said:
one guy to protect him,thats all

Would Kwiat be happy to be that "one guy" you think? or would they have to go and buy another rider in as well to do that job (can't see anyone else in the team being good enough :p), and if so who?

It would be a bit of a shame I feel if that was Kwiat's fate in life for the next couple of years anyway. I was hoping to see him in a GT, riding for himself, sooner rather than later.

ILovecycling said:
Do you even follow cycling?:eek:Uran doesnt need a team of ***ing idiots who will drag him atop of mountains like SBW.All he needs is a team with money,TT,and one guy to protect him,thats all

Actually I do agree with you on that observation-However- I'm not quite sure what OPQS can offer to him as a GT team (apart of course the load of cash for his services :D) to have full commitment towards Rigoberto for his Tour bid-specially when Cavendish appears in the picture & begins to ask for more men power to challenge Sagan.... ... So Yes- Rigo is very versatile & can ride among the best without a train-but he needs companions to take him as far as the can in the climbs to protect him- and sadly I don't see those kind of riders in OPQS to fulfill that task...

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
As fans we see what we think a rider needs to reach his full potential. As an athlete with a very short period of maximum $ earned. For which he will need to live on for his remaining lifetime. He sees his financial future also. He can think he will earn more based on wins. But cycling has no guarantee of that. He has to balance both options and make his best choice?

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
ILovecycling said:

It depends on what one aims. If we talk about a Tour podium, no rider would reject help from 'idiots'.

If Uran had showed so much potential like Wiggins in 09 and 11, believe he would have found a team in which he could've been the only Tour leader. Anti Wiggins blindness is irrelevant here.

thehook said:
As fans we see what we think a rider needs to reach his full potential. As an athlete with a very short period of maximum $ earned. For which he will need to live on for his remaining lifetime. He sees his financial future also. He can think he will earn more based on wins. But cycling has no guarantee of that. He has to balance both options and make his best choice?

this idea of retired pro riders doing nothing for the rest of their lives, where does that come from?

Plenty of earnings power left in a 40 yo, especially if they have a bit of brains and some cash to start with.

TRENDING THREADS