• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rigoberto Uran discussion thread.

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
If Rigo go finally to Omega, the polish guy could be a problem as well, but they can aim diferent targets. OPQS could have a strong team for the Tour to help both Urán and Cav, but... are going people as Chavanel or Tony Martin put everything in helping? Anyway, Uran 7th and 2nd in Giro was quite alone. In both cases he had to work, so just to be alone and no work is good for him.

Verona could be a good domestique before he get a top class.

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Kwiatek should rather focus on stage races and classics, so it shouldn't be a big problem.

Tony Martin is used to helping in GT's, he can win the TT's easily anyway even with the work.

Cav has the most lucrative deal here, so I do expect OPQS to be focused on Cav more than on Uran when it comes to Tour though, we'll have to see.

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Omega can send a very good team for both Cav and Uran.Uran doesn't need much help.Kwiatkowski,P.Velits(if he will stay) and Chavanel are perfect for him.For Cavendish probably T.Martin,Keisse,Steegmans because Kwiatkowski,Velits and Chava will also help in flat stages because are very good rouleurs.The last one will be probably or a rider like Pate/Bak or a new leadout for Cav(maybe Renshaw?).

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
As other posters have said, Uran seems to cope pretty well without support. At OPQS he's practically guaranteed a head start in any race with a team time trial.

Very interesting that of the handful of people Uran follows on twitter (which includes 0 cyclists) there is the current President of Colombia, the previous president of Colombia, the current governor of Antioquia, the previous governor of Antiouqia, several current affairs newspapers and an economics newspaper

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone mentioned the suitability of Lotto? OPQS seems like a terrible place for him. Lotto has JVDB and Jelle Vanendert for mountain domestiques, assuming they can be convinced....

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Dazed and Confused said:
Dunno, Lotto is very much pro home grown. As long as JVDB is up there in the Tour (top 5), I think the team will continue to bank on him.

Katusha so long as they have money. Strong support team, loads of other spanish speakers, and only one other GC rider to share GTs with, seems a reasonable fit.
I'd probably throw in Cannondale, AG2R, as possibles. All the others don't seem to have a team for support or already have too many leaders.
Lotto and JVDB did great for Evans in 2009, so I wouldn't expect much there and OPQS is death for any GC rider.
Would like to see him at Greenedge, but can't think for a single reason why he would.

karlboss said:
Katusha so long as they have money. Strong support team, loads of other spanish speakers, and only one other GC rider to share GTs with, seems a reasonable fit.
I'd probably throw in Cannondale, AG2R, as possibles. All the others don't seem to have a team for support or already have too many leaders.
Lotto and JVDB did great for Evans in 2009, so I wouldn't expect much there and OPQS is death for any GC rider.
Would like to see him at Greenedge, but can't think for a single reason why he would.
Cannondale was a team that I thought would be a good fit. Basso is really on the way out.

hrotha said:
Urán said Henao and him "aren't like Froome" and that they'd respect the team hierarchy and work for Wiggins as long as he was in contention.

I wonder if we're talking to this Germán Ospina. :D

Sorry, forgot my username and password.
Yes, you are correct, that is what I meant about the "Aren't like Froome" comments. They will work for the team. Both Henao and Uran have both been recently quoted as saying that most likely they will be working with Wiggins for the 2013 Vuelta since they feel he will try to save his season. Once again, both were promised co-leads for the Vuelta and once again they are both being sidelined. Don't get me wrong, Wiggins & Froome are both at a different level and are legit leaders. Uran sees that and knows that there are too many chiefs and he will not get a chance at Sky. Order is going to be Froome 1, Wiggins 2 (unless there is long TTs, then this flips) 3 Porte, 4 Henao. Henao is fine with this as one health problem or one crash and he is pushed to leader. 3 Grand Tours, 4 GC riders. Uran would have made it 5.

Sorry for the letdown guys. Not the same Ospina. Also not related to Carlos Ospina, current colombian TT champ or Argiro Ospina, with Movistar. Just a fan. :)

Escarabajo said:
Cannondale was a team that I thought would be a good fit. Basso is really on the way out.

are you serious? I quite find the opposite, considering the entire team will revolve entirely around Sagan while developing Moser, Agostini etc. Overall what bothers me the most about Cannondale is their approach to the racing calender & how they wrongly force riders to go to races they won't have business to do- Just look at what they've done to Sarmiento-a promising talent turned into an statistic, because the team only wants him where they "think" he has to ride-not where & "when" he needs to be riding & aiming for results.....

hfer07 said:
are you serious? I quite find the opposite, considering the entire team will revolve entirely around Sagan while developing Moser, Agostini etc. Overall what bothers me the most about Cannondale is their approach to the racing calender & how they wrongly force riders to go to races they won't have business to do- Just look at what they've done to Sarmiento-a promising talent turned into an statistic, because the team only wants him where they "think" he has to ride-not where & "when" he needs to be riding & aiming for results.....
You are probably right. Awful to see what is happening to Sarmiento. Carrying bottles is his main target for races. Depressing really.

Escarabajo said:
You are probably right. Awful to see what is happening to Sarmiento. Carrying bottles is his main target for races. Depressing really.

Maybe there wasn't so much talent there to start with? Just because one's a promising colombian cyclist doesn't mean he has to fulfill that initial promise, does he?

Anyway, Cannondale BADLY needs a decent GC rider. Surely Caruso doesn't look so bad after the rushed preparation for this Giro, as he delivered some nice performances, but really after Sagan there's a total void in Cannondale...

Pippo_San said:
Maybe there wasn't so much talent there to start with? Just because one's a promising colombian cyclist doesn't mean he has to fulfill that initial promise, does he?

Anyway, Cannondale BADLY needs a decent GC rider. Surely Caruso doesn't look so bad after the rushed preparation for this Giro, as he delivered some nice performances, but really after Sagan there's a total void in Cannondale...

Better look for some more support for Sagan..

We can only hope that more stars, like Uran, will ride for bleeding edge teams like Trek, Huffy and Cannondale... moves the sport forward.

Commercial interests aren't considered.

"Let my love open the door..."

Previous stars were obviously riding substandard equipment?

Uran should be on a marquee team? and so should Sagan.

But they're too caught in.

Top dollar teams are de riguer.

UCI prices are steep, but profitable.

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
Pippo_San said:

Boivin won a stage at the Tour de Beauce...

The void is filled :D

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Pentacycle said:
Lefevere is talking about a Giro-Vuelta season for Uran. He wants to go all in with Cav for the Tour. I doubt Uran is happy with this.

I expect Uran will be very p*ssed if Lefevere makes him do Giro-Vuelta. And rightly so, the whole point of him signing with OPQS was so he could be GC leader for the Tour.

TRENDING THREADS