• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rigoberto Uran discussion thread.

Page 22 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 9, 2009
Visit site
I think Rigo can podium on any GT. He's entering his prime and looks better than last year. True, Froome, Contador, Quintana and Nibali seem to be a notch above him but that means he's top 5 in any GT and if two of those don't show then he's in the podium. He's also younger than all of them except Nairo so things are looking up.

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
SergeDeM said:
I think Rigo can podium on any GT. He's entering his prime and looks better than last year. True, Froome, Contador, Quintana and Nibali seem to be a notch above him but that means he's top 5 in any GT and if two of those don't show then he's in the podium. He's also younger than all of them except Nairo so things are looking up.

This is an excellent summary of my own views.

Who would honestly say Uran isn't a guy who is capable of doing the podium in any GT? Any other talk is nonsense talk,yes,a conservative rider,not the typical flyweight Colombian mountain goat but so consistent.

Telling comments from Lefevere after Stelvio debacle,Vegni paid me £60,000 to come here but i had several millions worth of talent out there (Uran).Does a guy like Lefevere give someone a million dollar contract because he's a wildcard second rate rider? I think not.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I think Rigo should aim Tour podium.His flat itt is only worse than Froome and better than anyone else of gc conteders,he is good for punchers stages etc
These Tour climbs looks more suitable for him,better for pacing himself,on the other hand low altitude - thats true.He is mature and rides inteligent so imo he is good enough.
If he will be 100% I think he has a decent chance for podium next year!

If only there werent cav and kwia(no real gt prospect):rolleyes:

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
Congrats Rigo. Better than expected, Uran lost only 15" to TM... He's a real TT beast with supreme climbing skills. I'm waiting for his TdF performance next year.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
it's good to see that urans original power as a junior the timetrial and insane steering and descending is back. he always was in colombia that type of rider who had to try and reduce losses in climbs and take it all back in timetrials and descends

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
it's good to see that urans original power as a junior the timetrial and insane steering and descending is back. he always was in colombia that type of rider who had to try and reduce losses in climbs and take it all back in timetrials and descends

yep,hopefuly he has some climbing potential left too.
vamos rigo:)

trevim said:
His climbing in the Giro was a bit disappointing to me. I wonder if he improved....

Reminds me of Evans a little. When his TT riding improved a lot his climbing was not as good as previous. Evans tended to get around it by riding conservatively in the mountains and riding smart most of the time. No doubt that Uran is up there with the best GT time triallists now. Evans seemed to add more bulk as well, not sure if Uran has changed much physically, maybe a little.

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
For Uran to win a GT he is going to need there to be a lot of time trialing kilometers and a field without the best climbers in the world. His best chance of getting that will probably come at the Giro. It will be interesting to see what he can do in the mountains this year. I don't think he has ever gone toe to toe with the big names in the mountains. At this year's Giro, I think Quintana could have put a lot more time in him if he really went for it.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Netserk said:
He will ride the WCITT for Colombia, right?

I guess he'll also be a part of the TTT. (Martin, Uran, Kwiat, Boonen, Terpstra & Stybar?)

I wouldn't expoect any of that. uran isn't or at leats wasn't a fan of it. he doesn't like to ride them like on a wc. I think they may send anacona and perhaps quintana to do the itt and also pedro herrera who is pan american champion and gets auto invite I think

Ryo Hazuki said:
I wouldn't expoect any of that. uran isn't or at leats wasn't a fan of it. he doesn't like to ride them like on a wc. I think they may send anacona and perhaps quintana to do the itt and also pedro herrera who is pan american champion and gets auto invite I think

Why not?

To focus on RR instead, or?

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Uran is not a pure time trialist, so in the worlds he knows he hasn't got much chance of a podium. He's much better in GT time trials where recovery is important, same goes for guys like Evans, Contador, Samu. Also Menchov in the old days.

Pentacycle said:
Uran is not a pure time trialist, so in the worlds he knows he hasn't got much chance of a podium. He's much better in GT time trials where recovery is important, same goes for guys like Evans, Contador, Samu. Also Menchov in the old days.
The TT yesterday was in the first half of the race and just after a rest day, so recovery wasn't that important (compared to most other GT TTs). If Wiggo isn't up to it, I can't see why Uran shouldn't have a good chance to podium the WCITT. It's not like it's a course like last year's.

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
SeriousSam said:
Froome isn't a pure time triallist

He's pure alien instead. This time he's just missing his spaceship or something...:cool:

Froome)Alien.png

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Netserk said:
Why not?

To focus on RR instead, or?

well he used to not like timetrialing at all. so when asked by fed he always refused when he was a pro. maybe it now changes because he improved in it. I hope so

TRENDING THREADS