• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Riis autobiography...

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 26, 2010
Visit site
JPM London said:
But that's exactly my point. There are a lot of people from the past still making a good living in the sport - many of whom have never been made responsible for what they did and now it's too late.

Despite that Riis chooses to bare all - now it's obviously clear you don't believe him or any of his statements, but I actually believe he's been part of changing the sport for the better since he retired.

To me he's far from silver. Just as far as Danish riders go I'm not even sure he'd get a silver there - in my book Rolf Sorensen would take gold no doubt (sorry, must be a mistake "determination" was his doping apart from that he was of course clean). Internationally you can start with the 22 "amateurs" from Conconi's list - how many of those are technically still "clean" athletes?
If you firmly believe he was a donkey turned into a champion by dope, then I can get your point, but I don't believe that. I'm far from sure his achievements would be impossible in a clean field - of course you're free to disagree - but in the end, here's someone who's open about what he did - and I know you're a staunch opposer of omerta - then why not listen to what is basically a run through of what the nineties was about? Why do you need to kill the messenger 15 years on? And why not kill all the un-messengers instead? I know, because it's easy to shoot at what you can see it saves you from having to make an effort...

It is never too late. This is a line i would expect straight from Armstrong's PR "the past is the past we are fighting cancer now" or similar words to the same effect.

I imagine the same lines for acquiring the PEDS are still open as their have been very few convictions, that i know of. Ferrari never got done for his involvement. Fuentes never got done so the same supply lines are open and available to riders. If Riis, who obviously has not told the supply side of his use, why? his riders are probably using the same source.

Riis doesn't get my sympathy or understanding he gets my contempt.

buckwheat

BANNED
Sep 24, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
It is never too late. This is a line i would expect straight from Armstrong's PR "the past is the past we are fighting cancer now" or similar words to the same effect.

I imagine the same lines for acquiring the PEDS are still open as their have been very few convictions, that i know of. Ferrari never got done for his involvement. Fuentes never got done so the same supply lines are open and available to riders. If Riis, who obviously has not told the supply side of his use, why? his riders are probably using the same source.

Riis doesn't get my sympathy or understanding he gets my contempt.

"It's not over until we say it's over...was it over when????"

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
May 26, 2010
Visit site
JPM London said:
But that's exactly my point. There are a lot of people from the past still making a good living in the sport - many of whom have never been made responsible for what they did and now it's too late.

Despite that Riis chooses to bare all - now it's obviously clear you don't believe him or any of his statements, but I actually believe he's been part of changing the sport for the better since he retired.

To me he's far from silver. Just as far as Danish riders go I'm not even sure he'd get a silver there - in my book Rolf Sorensen would take gold no doubt (sorry, must be a mistake "determination" was his doping apart from that he was of course clean). Internationally you can start with the 22 "amateurs" from Conconi's list - how many of those are technically still "clean" athletes?
If you firmly believe he was a donkey turned into a champion by dope, then I can get your point, but I don't believe that. I'm far from sure his achievements would be impossible in a clean field - of course you're free to disagree - but in the end, here's someone who's open about what he did - and I know you're a staunch opposer of omerta - then why not listen to what is basically a run through of what the nineties was about? Why do you need to kill the messenger 15 years on? And why not kill all the un-messengers instead? I know, because it's easy to shoot at what you can see it saves you from having to make an effort...

I hardly call Riis a messenger. he aint telling us something we don't know or have already guessed without him telling us in an autobiography. All this has done has been to confirm what most of us have put 2 and 2 together to come up with four. If Riss doesn't want to get shot, then dont stand up and make yourself the single target. Put other targets in the firing line along as well. But then maybe he wouldn't sell so many books and it would detract from his book if the media went looking for those he named?

make an effort? from what we already know Riis rode for doping teams which have been shot down in the clinic on a regular basis. The comments are about how pathetic it is for a guy like Riis to talk about cycling being in a better position than when was racing. I dont think so. No winner of the TdF was caught for a positive during his 13 years of racing but their have been 2 in the last 5 years. More BS to make us go away smiling what a clean sport it is now, thanks Bjarne. Nah he's got to do better than that to pull the wool over those in the clinic whose eyes can see.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Magnus said:
The funny part is that the source of the story, danish newspaper 'Politiken' doesn't have a story about Riis using 1 million dkk (134 000 eur) on drugs. They do however have a story about Riis using 1 million EUR on anti-doping...

is that anti-doping or avoiding positives????

Can I still be a Riis fan even though he spent all that money on dope? I really liked his style on the bike and was impressed when he won Amstel-Gold using the SRM powermeter, while wearing the Danish National Champion jersey to boot.

I found him even more impressive as a team owner after watching the documentary "Overcoming".

Because the only doper I really hate and would love to see torn down is having his friends chased all over the place by the Feds, and I think that's really funny.

Aug 11, 2009
Visit site
Berzin said:
Can I still be a Riis fan even though he spent all that money on dope? I really liked his style on the bike and was impressed when he won Amstel-Gold using the SRM powermeter, while wearing the Danish National Champion jersey to boot.

Yes, you can still be a Riis fan. There's no need for people to be quite so black & white about those who have doped--especially those who doped in the '90's.

Riis was a doper and he's an excellent, well-organized, and motivational director. In this sense, I'm not using "motivational" with anything but its ordinary meaning.

Lance Armstrong is a doper and an awesome competitor. He's also a huge douchebag--and that's why I hope to see him go down.

Erik Zabel seems like both a doper and a very, very compassionate and respectable guy.

The list goes on and on...

...but Ricco is still utterly loathesome.

ergmonkey said:
Erik Zabel seems like both a doper and a very, very compassionate and respectable guy.

You could also say that he sounds a bit like a cry-baby when he claims he won 6 green jerseys by "trying EPO once" and shed a few tears. Don't know if I believe that part...

Though, I do agree, he does seem both compassionate and repectable - and if he's not lying about the EPO, he's actually almost not a doper...

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Magnus said:
Don't you think introducing the bio-passport is anti-doping?

nope it is anti positives. What it said to riders is here is the level at which you can dope, try and not go over it or it will cost you in $$$$ to the uci or a ban.

we know that lots of blood values for the last week of the 2009 tour were not reading what was expected of blood values for a 3 week GT. some values were too high and higher than the first week yet no bans. go figure. also go and try now to find those bio passport values.

Brad Wigans said, after some people questioned his 4th place from 2009 TdF, that he was gonna post his blood values to prove he was on the level. i dont think he did.

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
Brad Wigans said, after some people questioned his 4th place from 2009 TdF, that he was gonna post his blood values to prove he was on the level. i dont think he did.

Is any one realy suprised he hasnt?..from admiring this guy I`ve slipped to douptfull and rapidly moving towards downright contempt.
He comes out with so much "smart ***" comment he must have cary a toilet roll to wipe the xxxx coming out his mouth.
He `s in danger of becoming a parody of himself.

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
nope it is anti positives. What it said to riders is here is the level at which you can dope, try and not go over it or it will cost you in $$$$ to the uci or a ban.

So you honestly believe that introducing the bio passport has led to fewer positives?

Don't you think that riders has tested them self all along?

It could be argued that if anything it's made them more cautious, just like the old 50% rule!

As for Wiggo he did publish his values, and they had the same "problem" as LA's...subsequent to that, he tweeted "have faith people, I'm not Vino" or something like that.

webvan said:
It could be argued that if anything it's made them more cautious, just like the old 50% rule!

As for Wiggo he did publish his values, and they had the same "problem" as LA's...subsequent to that, he tweeted "have faith people, I'm not Vino" or something like that.

Wiggins Blood Values

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest/385285/bradley-wiggins-tour-de-france-blood-values.html

"The Garmin rider promised during the event that he would make his records public, in order to quash speculation about his stunning performance at the Tour, where he was fourth overall. He also included data from the first half of 2009, and the first half of 2008."

Thanks for digging that up, the TDF2009 graph looks "Odd", just like LA's, I'm pretty sure he tweeted the "Have faith" after that got published :

wiggins-blood-tdf09.jpg_e_a6880f2bba48e3fefbdf5c4c3cdad39c.jpg

So I am just finishing reading this book.

It really annoys me the way he only admits half the story. Maybe Hamilton is a liar, but I bet Riis is.

And the non-clinic stuff is cringeworthy. I don't dislike him for trading his wife in for a younger model. But he is clearly lying about the timings. If he is going to lie about something, just don't put it in the book.

And he seems to have had a very unconventional upbringing, which goes a long way to explaining his motivations and actions in later life. I think it is difficult to grow up to be a rounded individual with such inconsistent parental support.

barmaher said:
And he seems to have had a very unconventional upbringing, which goes a long way to explaining his motivations and actions in later life. I think it is difficult to grow up to be a rounded individual with such inconsistent parental support.

Oh wow, of course, yes, it's obvious, all you have to do is look at the parenting. Look at all the other riders with similar backgrounds and look at what became of them too. Damn! All that money wasted on anti-doping when you could have just looked at their upbringing.

Shoot me now, please, someone shoot me now.