• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rio 2016 Olympic Road Race and Time Trial courses

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Arredondo said:
I mean that little bump at the end, Miburo. I did read some information about that short climb some time ago. However, i don't know on which site anymore. The search continues! ;)

Rioroadprofile.jpg
You have that profile finishing in Parc Flamengo, the little bump there is the Av Princesa Isabel, however, good part of the "climb" is actually a tunnel.

And that tunnel was one of the reasons they moved the start finish from Flamengo to Copacabana.

http://www.uci.ch/mm/Document/News/NewsGeneral/16/89/80/RoadCycling_MenRace_Neutral.pdf

Now the finish is closer to the end of the descent (12.2Km).
BTW, the total distance is now 241.5 Km

Grumari is 4 laps not 3, and Vista Chinesa is 3 laps, not 4.

4 riders for french team. I assume it will be for Alaphilippe, Pinot, Bardet and Gallopin, and Pinot and Gallopin will do the ITT. What about Coppel ? Third at the last ITT world championships but he can't get a result at the road race so... Maybe Barguil also. The Tour de France should provide a response.

Re:

manolo57 said:
4 riders for french team. I assume it will be for Alaphilippe, Pinot, Bardet and Gallopin, and Pinot and Gallopin will do the ITT. What about Coppel ? Third at the last ITT world championships but he can't get a result at the road race so... Maybe Barguil also. The Tour de France should provide a response.

I don't think Gallopin should be concerned with the ITT. Can they pull the old trick of entering a track or BMX rider who dismounts after about 300 metres?

slosada said:
Arredondo said:
I mean that little bump at the end, Miburo. I did read some information about that short climb some time ago. However, i don't know on which site anymore. The search continues! ;)

Rioroadprofile.jpg
You have that profile finishing in Parc Flamengo, the little bump there is the Av Princesa Isabel, however, good part of the "climb" is actually a tunnel.

And that tunnel was one of the reasons they moved the start finish from Flamengo to Copacabana.

http://www.uci.ch/mm/Document/News/NewsGeneral/16/89/80/RoadCycling_MenRace_Neutral.pdf

Now the finish is closer to the end of the descent (12.2Km).
BTW, the total distance is now 241.5 Km

Grumari is 4 laps not 3, and Vista Chinesa is 3 laps, not 4.
Thanks a lot. A shame there's only 12km of flat in the end and that it's only 3 times they do the climb (not to mention the shorter distance). I think the race is more likely to be won by the first rider crossing the last climb than before.

TMP402 said:
manolo57 said:

I don't think Gallopin should be concerned with the ITT. Can they pull the old trick of entering a track or BMX rider who dismounts after about 300 metres?
Might as well bring Coppel instead of Pinot. He's got more chance of sneaking third in the TT, than Pinot has of finishing top three, or significantly contributing to a top 3 finish in the RR.

Jun 22, 2015
Visit site
Lol gesink gets the message that he wont go to the olympics on his birthday, just like the german soccer coach telling reus on his birthday yesterday that he wont go to the european championships

DFA123 said:
TMP402 said:
manolo57 said:

Might as well bring Coppel instead of Pinot. He's got more chance of sneaking third in the TT, than Pinot has of finishing top three, or significantly contributing to a top 3 finish in the RR.

We have two spots for the TT : Pinot is likely to be part of it. I believe French Nats TT will be important for the last spot.

For the road race : Pinot, Alaphilippe, Bardet, Barguil. Or Gallopin. I don't believe in Vuillermoz's chances, neither in Coppel's (unfortunately).

Alexandre B. said:
DFA123 said:
TMP402 said:
manolo57 said:

We have two spots for the TT : Pinot is likely to be part of it. I believe French Nats TT will be important for the last spot.

For the road race : Pinot, Alaphilippe, Bardet, Barguil. Or Gallopin. I don't believe in Vuillermoz's chances, neither in Coppel's (unfortunately).

Yeah, I think they will pick Pinot as well, but if their main focus is to get a medal out of the two events, then I'm not sure they should. I can't see any way that Pinot is realistically going to get a medal from either race, or significantly help Alaphilippe or Gallopin to get one.

Coppel is also unlikely to get a medal in either - but he has more chance than Pinot imo.

Mr.White said:
I really can't see Landa as a serious candidate, he would need a dream TDF for Minguez to call him. Valverde and Contador are certain choice IMO. Purito is 95% sure, only a really bad Tour could stop him. Remaining two spots are however uncertain. Lots of riders could fill in. A lot depends on the ITT, don't know if Contador would ride it. If not, than you need 2 good TT-ist, like Ion, Luisle or Castro. If Contador rides the ITT, then you need only one, and that opens the door for other riders like Samu, or Dani Moreno, Erviti, Plaza, etc.
I think Alberto is certain for the TT, he said both the TT and the RR are a goal for him, so expect him to be 1 of Spain's two TTers.
Either Ion or Luis Leon could be the 2nd TTer, but I think Luisle has a better shot at a medal. Casto is an option too, but I doubt he will be fully recovered and in good shape, and anyway Luisle or Ion will be more useful in the RR than Castro.
If Minguez selects for example Sammy and Landa, or Dani Moreno (I still think Purito, Valverde and Contador are certain), then Bala could ride the TT as well, but I think the best option is to select Luisle and Contador for the TT, both have a chance to get a medal on this course if they are in top shape.

DFA123 said:
Alexandre B. said:
DFA123 said:
TMP402 said:
manolo57 said:

Yeah, I think they will pick Pinot as well, but if their main focus is to get a medal out of the two events, then I'm not sure they should. I can't see any way that Pinot is realistically going to get a medal from either race, or significantly help Alaphilippe or Gallopin to get one.

Coppel is also unlikely to get a medal in either - but he has more chance than Pinot imo.

Considering the third place of Pinot at the last lombardia and the similarities between the two races, I don't see why he couldn't get a result. Barguil and Bardet are good riders but none of them have made a podium in a monument, Pinot did. And he will be important for the ITT, Coppel and him are the best french riders in the discipline right now. Tibopino is clearly the best french rider this season, for me he deserves to be part of the olympic french team.

manolo57 said:
Considering the third place of Pinot at the last lombardia and the similarities between the two races, I don't see why he couldn't get a result. Barguil and Bardet are good riders but none of them have made a podium in a monument, Pinot did. And he will be important for the ITT, Coppel and him are the best french riders in the discipline right now. Tibopino is clearly the best french rider this season, for me he deserves to be part of the olympic french team.
Agree that he deserves to be part of the French team, but not sure that he maximises their chances of getting a medal. This course is way easier and much less selective than last year's Lombardia, so it's difficult to see how Pinot could place well.

Alaphilippe will surely be their leader - if he can get to the line in a small bunch sprint, he's probably second favourite only to Valverde (God forbid Gerrans has made it as well!). Bardet could go solo either on the climb or the descent and get in a small group, which he could potentially win a sprint from. And Gallopin has a small chance if its a fairly cagey race and he can use his explosivity to go clear in the run in to the line.

I just can't envisage a scenario where Pinot does well, or even where he can be much of an asset to Alaphilippe or Bardet. Whereas Coppel would have an outside shot in the TT of bronze.

First time I look at the Olympics road race parcour, and the first names that came up to my mind were Kwiatkowski, Brambilla & Valverde- Trentin & Ulissi too :p even G can do great, given the chance. Nibs can do good, but I don't know if he can finish it off if he's with a group after the climb.
Tricky Parcour because of that lengthy flat section after the climb is what's going to make the race not entirely favored to the pure climbers, even if there is a lot of climbing involved.

TRENDING THREADS