• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

RIP Antoine Demoitié

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: Re:

thehog said:
Jancouver said:
RIP and condolences to the family ...

Dear UCI please lower the number of motorbikes and cars ... people are getting hurt and dying. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE wake up and do something about it.

This is where the problem lies. The motorbikes are for press, promoting the races for media outlets. There are also cars following with corporate sponsors and clients. The UCI doesn't want to limit the amount of vehicles for this reason, it will go against promoting the sport.

The UCI said they would do something last September. Since then, silence. Which is not unusual for the current admistrators. I'm sure we'll get a Sagan selfie tomorrow and not a "serious" response to this issue.
What better promotion is there when riders die in a race?

Spot on Hog.

A very sad day for cycling as a whole.

Re: Antoine Demoitié in Critical Condition

Gloin22 said:
That's the thing though, throughout our society, we don't learn .We await the most dramatic event to change something..

It took Andrei Kivilev's death to make the UCI and riders agree on helmets. I guess we could see something similar being done here. Even if the moto wasn't fully to blame, from reports it seems it was very unlucky event.
While this is undoubtedly true, Antoine was still in the hospital and still with us when the picture "of Kuznetsov" where you couldn't actually see him was making the rounds and riders were saying "too many motos". So we await the most dramatic event, and now it's happened.

This may well have been an unlucky incident rather than anything reckless or endangering. But we have a race where the number of motos is high enough that people are already commenting on it, in heavy windy conditions (remember, those aren't ideal for handling motorbikes either, especially ones with cameramen mounted on the back giving them a larger side area) and where a man has died... there's enough into the public sphere that they simply have to recognize that change is needed. If the response is to say "as this one wasn't the moto's fault and was just unfortunate timing and unavoidable" and continue as is, somebody else has to die before anything will be done, and nobody wants that.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Its very sad.
When you think about it without the skill of the riders and the moto riders and the car drivers we could have had more terrible accidents.
I don't think we should have a knee jerk reaction. You can only try and learn from any tragic event.
A great shame.

Re:

ray j willings said:
Its very sad.
When you think about it without the skill of the riders and the moto riders and the car drivers we could have had more terrible accidents.
I don't think we should have a knee jerk reaction. You can only try and learn from any tragic event.
A great shame.
Spot on!

Fearless Greg Lemond said:
thehog said:
Jancouver said:

Dear UCI please lower the number of motorbikes and cars ... people are getting hurt and dying. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE wake up and do something about it.

This is where the problem lies. The motorbikes are for press, promoting the races for media outlets. There are also cars following with corporate sponsors and clients. The UCI doesn't want to limit the amount of vehicles for this reason, it will go against promoting the sport.

The UCI said they would do something last September. Since then, silence. Which is not unusual for the current admistrators. I'm sure we'll get a Sagan selfie tomorrow and not a "serious" response to this issue.

Spot on Hog.

It's a sad for cycling as all the signs have been there for months. Rider after rider had been in a collision with a moto. The UCI put promotion over safety and did nothing. This could have been prevented. We await what the UCI will say on this one, or what action they will take. Or whether they are culpable in the matter.

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Imagine your brother, your lover, your son, your friend going to a cycling race in the morning only to never return home again. At age 25. Such terrible news, you will be missed Antoine.

thehog said:
thehog said:
Jancouver said:

Spot on Hog.

It's a sad for cycling as all the signs have been there for months. Rider after rider had been in a collision with a moto. The UCI put promotion over safety and did nothing. This could have been prevented. We await what the UCI will say on this one, or what action they will take. Or whether they are culpable in the matter.

According to a police reconstruction there was nothing that the Moto driver could of done.

MatParker117 said:
thehog said:
thehog said:
Jancouver said:

Spot on Hog.

According to a police reconstruction there was nothing that the Moto driver could of done.

That is not the point. The point is there is no code, no rules or control of the amounts of motos in a given race. That is the issue. The more motos, the more chance there is of such an incident.

I agree with LS. It was only a matter of time before disaster struck and it has to be dealt with immediately. I really hope this is what turns things around with the sheer number of motos, it's gotten ridiculous.

I heard the guy donated his organs and it ended up saving three lives. That's a stand up guy, class act. RIP.

Horrible. My condelences for Demoitie's friends and family first and foremost but also the moto driver and the other people involved in the crash.

We have to reduce the number of motos. I don't think this was the drivers fault, rather really really unlucky accident, but there are too many.

MatParker117 said:
thehog said:
thehog said:
Jancouver said:

Spot on Hog.

Except that, if the moto was not on the road behind the crash, Antoine would be alive today !

Too often people blame 'bad luck', for things that were clearly going to happen. There are threads years old on this site where we've been warning that this day would happen :mad:

TRENDING THREADS