• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Ritchey Breakaway bike bag -- oversize airline baggage?

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
I am considering getting the Ritchey Breakaway. Has anyone had experience travelling with it? The carry bag has a combined linear measurement of 66", whereas most airlines have a check-in baggage limit of 62". So we are oversize by just a little.

Do airlines catch this slight difference? Do you get through without oversize charges more than you don't?

Also, it seems like a soft-ish case. Anyone experience damage to the bike?

Thanks.

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
Ritchey Breakaway bike - oversize baggage charge?

I am considering getting the Ritchey Breakaway. Has anyone had experience travelling with it? The carry bag has a combined linear measurement of 66", whereas most airlines have a check-in baggage limit of 62". So we are oversize by just a little.

Do airlines catch this slight difference? Do you get through without oversize charges more than you don't?

I also posted this in the gear forum, but I thought it might also be appropriate here.

Thanks.

sappie said:

Thanks.

Last I traveled with one they checked like a suitcase, didn't even ask what was in it. Really depends on the carrier and also the people there, whether or not they are interested in finding these things out. Non US carriers seem to care the least.

Pack well and use some foam tubes around the bike, BUT it is protected well.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
sappie said:

I also posted this in the gear forum, but I thought it might also be appropriate here.

Thanks.

Yes, It is oversized and yes it can cause challenges. I have a buddy who gets it past a most times, but gets charged others.

I have an S&S bike and have never been charged. Depending on your frame size you can fit a Richey in an S&S case, what size are you?

May 3, 2009
www.glorycycles.com
I have made some trips Italy from the USA and to Africa with my breakaway and never been charged extra.

Also I always put my cycling clothing in plastic bags and use it to pad the frame, never had anything broken and I have taken some very long multi stop trips with it.

TRENDING THREADS