• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Question Road e-Bikes; are they worth the high £.price people pay for them?

Feb 10, 2023
Visit site
Many people changing their road cycling bike to electric assist road bikes, ie, E-road bikes, in the UK they are limited to 15.5 MPH and a Battery Range of 30; to 60 miles max. Do you think they are worth the high cost, ? I'll be 75, this year and been considering buying one? as some of our cycling club members have already gone over to E-road bikes. I'm not sure I'm ready yet to make the leap to an e,Road Bike.
Anyone else thinking of getting an e-Road Bike? if so; what are your thoughts on them?
Thanks

Reactions: jmdirt
Considering your age, it might be a good idea. Do you feel you can't keep up? Do you (or your physician) think it might be best for your health?Are you thinking of getting a new bike regardless? If you're spending money on a new bike anyway, this might be the time to think about it. Because you need to think about next year, and the year after that. But if you are not in need of a new bike, and you are feeling fit, i'd say consult your doctor.

My father is 84 and still rides every day - without a motor. His advantage is he rode division 1 in the 50s. and took up masters racing around 1995 and didn't stop until maybe he was 80. So I guess he still has the legs and heart from his earlier years to not rely on a motor now? But I do see how E-bikes are great for older people who don't have a cycling background.

I also agree that any older person who doesn't have an active lifestyle should see their doctor. The most alarming thing I read lately is the fad of "HIIT" Every such story should come with a disclaimer for people who have led a sedentary lifestyle for years and are attracted to a "quick fix" which could kill them.

I mostly agree with logic. I only disagree with "considering your age", because that is mostly irrelevant.

I would suggest borrowing/renting an ebike for several days before you make any decisions.

Anecdotal example of 1: My brother in-law lives near the top of a hill so the end of every ride is a difficult climb. He started driving to a parking lot near the bottom (which he hated doing). Then other climbs in his various loops got harder so his loops got more limited. He bought an ebike and he could ride all of his loops AND make the climb back to his house. Better mentally and physically for him. FYI, he got a hardtail mountain bike and put slicks on it because he needed the more upright position due to neck/shoulder/back issues.

Keep us posted!

The best way to get exercise is to do all the work yourself, but if some part of your body that is needed to pedal a bike no longer works well, then an E-bike may be your ticket to riding longer. If you don't have any major issues don't waste your money, going faster doesn't mean a darn thing, we age we slow down, plain and simple, but buying an e-bike just means the same amount of effort we would put in a regular bike we can go faster with an e-bike, but so what? Are we in a hurry to get someplace? NO! So don't waste money if you don't have to, just keep riding a regular bike.

There is a hidden expense with E-bikes that isn't talked about when you purchase one, and that's the battery. Those batteries are only good for about 2 to 4 years, but they cost around $700 to replace and more if the battery has a longer run time. That's almost as much as a new bicycle! And you have to spend that money on average every 3 years? Spending money like that just for a battery is a huge waste of money, I won't do it as long as I can pedal a regular bike, and I'm 70 now, and have no desire to get an e-bike, I don't care how slow I go! But you have to decide that on your own, I personally don't see the logic. If God forbid, I have a knee issue someday where I can't put full stress on the knee or if I do, I could blow the knee, then maybe an e-bike would be something for me to check into.

To keep those batteries lasting as long as you can, do not fully drain them, at the most drain them to 30%, it's best to use shallow discharges and recharges. Do not charge them when the battery is hot from use, wait an hour after a ride to charge, and the same is true when you go to use the battery, do not charge it then immediately use it, wait an hour. Avoid using high-power mode as much as possible, high-power mode will make the battery run hotter and heat is an enemy to these batteries. Never store the battery in someplace hot like the trunk of a car, or inside the car, and never expose it to cold temps either. Find the lowest rolling resistance tire on the market for your size. Last I checked Schwalbe Amotion was that tire, but that was a couple of years ago, another tire might have beaten it but I couldn't find one today that has. Make sure you use the correct tire pressure and check it before each ride; make sure the brakes are not dragging; and the chain is clean and lubed; this is all about reducing friction which will make the battery work harder.

The Schwalbe Amotion tire is a great tire, highly flat-resistant, I use it on my touring bike because it's relatively lightweight for a touring capable long mileage tire, but it also has the lowest rolling resistance which makes it easier for me to pedal a load around, which means I don't have to work as much, which is the same reason you want to use it on an e-bike so it won't work as much.

By the way, I did install a pair of RhinoDillos flat liners, these have a soft edge on one end so as not to wear a hole into the tube. But the reason I put those inside my tire even though it is a very robust tire is because for one they are tubeless and a huge pain to put on, so I'm hoping I won't have to remove a bead until the tire wears out; but also because of the rear tire having the racks, panniers, fenders, and mechanicals back there so I won't have to deal with it on the road. With that same reasoning, a flat on the rear of an E-bike could also be a pain depending on where the motor is located, and depending if it's using tubeless tires. Just further thoughts.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS