• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Roadie getting a mountain bike, lots of questions

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
BroDeal said:
I would get a hardtail if it was the year 2000. It is not so I would not.

Based on what Bro sez here, I would say his opinion is based on style, appearance, and opinion only. Therefore - do what works best for you - and don't worry about silly opinions about style. [Anything year based is likely styling. Sure, some tech advancements interim, but no worries, old tech is not automatically bad - just different.]

hiero2 said:
Based on what Bro sez here, I would say his opinion is based on style, appearance, and opinion only. Therefore - do what works best for you - and don't worry about silly opinions about style. [Anything year based is likely styling. Sure, some tech advancements interim, but no worries, old tech is not automatically bad - just different.]

Some tech advancements? Telling someone who wants to get into MTBing to get a hardtail is like telling someone to buy a model T to commute to work. You might as well recommend V brakes instead of discs. The hardtail ship sailed, was hit by an iceberg, and sank at sea years ago. Unless you are a granola type with skillz--you know, the same types who probably also owns a single speed, which may be fully rigid--then you want full suspension. This is especially true if local trails are littered with these hard, lumpy things that are sometimes referred to as rocks. Don't be the sorry bastrd with a hardtail that tries to ride with friends who all have dual boingers.

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Some tech advancements? Telling someone who wants to get into MTBing to get a hardtail is like telling someone to buy a model T to commute to work. You might as well recommend V brakes instead of discs. The hardtail ship sailed, was hit by an iceberg, and sank at sea years ago. Unless you are a granola type with skillz--you know, the same types who probably also owns a single speed, which may be fully rigid--then you want full suspension. This is especially true if local trails are littered with these hard, lumpy things that are sometimes referred to as rocks. Don't be the sorry bastrd with a hardtail that tries to ride with friends who all have dual boingers.

Good reply, Bro! But I stand by what I said. Don't worry, I won't try to keep up with you on my hardtail, going over the rocks! That way you won't have to keep up with me goin' down the road when it's smooth! Or going uphill with less weight? No problem, Bro, you're not partial - and you do have a sense of humor - doesn't he, dear reader? :D

Edit - I really DO think Bro's response is good, lest anybody think I'm being unduly harsh on him. And he has a point - FS is heavier, but generally speaking I think most ppl will cover a course faster on an FS than a hardtail - but it does depend on the course, too. So, I still ride a hardtail, and I recognize that, really, having fun and being comfortable is the most important thing.

TRENDING THREADS