• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Robbie McEwen: A worse climber?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Boardslide said:
What total BS as when Cav gets dropped he usually ends up with a race motto for company or in this case a commasiares car as he was the back of the race. A bit of mud slinging always help get rid of the opposition.
It must be very coordinated mud slinging if three riders have said the same thing...

Hitchey said:
I thought he did a very good job taking 2nd in stage 6 of this year's giro as it looked like a tough climb at the end. There's no telling how hard Cav tried on the finish to that stage but he was 171st and 13 min down.

I was fortunate to have had a long uninterrupted chat one day last fall with Petacchi at a function and I was very pleased to have met a very nice and humble guy. It was interesting to hear him describe to me the changes in pack tactics over the years and the aggressiveness that he sees during finishes. His opinion, after I asked, regarding the stage finish when Cav and Haussler crashed in Tour de Suisse was very diplomatic and pretty much without blame. Just too much **** and vinegar going around and that's just what happens in a sprint.

One thing I found particularly interesting was how he pointed out to me that he just does not want to fall off his bike anymore. It was good to know that I had company in not prematurely having grown weary of pushing around in sprints.

One of my friends who works as a rep spoke to Petachhi and a few other itialian riders about 2-3 years ago and was very surprised at how friendly he was especially as he spoke to him in an unofficial capacity ( even invited my mate to a party ).

Every since every always like him.

Boardslide said:
What total BS as when Cav gets dropped he usually ends up with a race motto for company or in this case a commasiares car as he was the back of the race. A bit of mud slinging always help get rid of the opposition.

Were you there? This account coming from two riders who were witnessing the act. Who should we believe you or them?:rolleyes:

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Boardslide said:
The independant commissares who were there

bullsh*t this only happens in the tour de france ih other races there are never enough commisareses. so riders do indeed do that and it should be punished severely

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
bullsh*t this only happens in the tour de france ih other races there are never enough commisareses. so riders do indeed do that and it should be punished severely

Can you tell us how many commissaires are in the Giro???

Todays stage i witnessed at least 8 commissaires cars following after the teams cars, never mind what they have on motorbikes.

The images from Etna show Cav finishing and a Commissaires motorbike just behind him.

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
So you want to punish a guy for something that no race officials witnessed?

Quaranta and Kirsipuu are definetly the two of the worst climbers of all time (at least my time that is) but there are definetly a lot of other sprinters a lot worse than McEwan even in his present semi-over-the hill-form. Generally a lot of the italian sprinters used to be very bad like Minali, Leoni etc. and McEwan used to be climbing pretty decently.

At the moment Guardini is definetly a candaite for the title but I think Alex Rasmussen (though sadly not sprinting much at the moment) might be even worse.