Robert Enke

Robert Enke, 1977-2009. May he rest in peace.

For those who don't know him, he was one of the goalkeepers for the German national football team.

He had been suffering severe depression since 2003. It was compounded when his two-year-old daughter died of congenital heart problems three years ago. Since then he has been plagued by injuries and illnesses, which added to his depression. He had been in psychiatric handling for years, but his teams never knew.

He was unable to cope any longer and commited suicide last night.

One of his reasons was fear of reaction if the news of his depression became public.

That is three suicides by European athletes in the last few days. This is hard to take.

Susan
 
Aug 13, 2009
12,855
0
0
Susan Westemeyer said:
Robert Enke, 1977-2009. May he rest in peace.

For those who don't know him, he was one of the goalkeepers for the German national football team.

He had been suffering severe depression since 2003. It was compounded when his two-year-old daughter died of congenital heart problems three years ago. Since then he has been plagued by injuries and illnesses, which added to his depression. He had been in psychiatric handling for years, but his teams never knew.

He was unable to cope any longer and commited suicide last night.

One of his reasons was fear of reaction if the news of his depression became public.

That is three suicides by European athletes in the last few days. This is hard to take.

Susan
Very sad, he jumped in front of a train.

It has been confirmed as a suicide? Last I read it was still in question.
 
Yes, his wife and psychiatrist gave a press conference today.

He was afraid to disclose his illness because he thought no one in football would understand, and that his adopted child would be taken away because of it.

Two days ago his psychiatrist suggested he check into a clinic for treatment. He declined and took this way out.

By the way, the German national team has cancelled its friendly match with Chile scheduled for Saturday. The team management gave a press conference and manager Oliver Bierhof broke down in tears and couldn't continue.

Susan
 
Mar 18, 2009
4,186
0
0
And I thought Deisler's depression was severe....now this. Sad.

He played here for a few years. He was pretty good.
 
May 6, 2009
8,524
1
0
issoisso said:
And I thought Deisler's depression was severe....now this. Sad.

He played here for a few years. He was pretty good.
Deisler said it started for him when he chose to leave Hertha Berlin for Bayern Munich and he was more or less run out of town after that. RIP to Enke, so sad, and so young as well.

Playing Football Manager 2010 is going to be to weird seeing Enke in the Hannover 96 team.
 
Mar 11, 2009
3,274
1
0
craig1985 said:
Deisler said it started for him when he chose to leave Hertha Berlin for Bayern Munich and he was more or less run out of town after that. RIP to Enke, so sad, and so young as well.

Playing Football Manager 2010 is going to be to weird seeing Enke in the Hannover 96 team.
Really, i played a cycling manager game yesterday and there was a breakaway with Nolf and Vandenbroucke in it. Very sad.
 
German television broadcast his funeral live from the Hannover stadium. As his teammates carried his coffin out of the stadium, the following song played:

Some say love it is a river
that drowns the tender reed
some say love it is a razor
that leaves your soul to bleed

Some say love it is a hunger
an endless aching need
I say love it is a flower
and you its only seed

It's the heart afraid of breaking
that never learns to dance
it's the dream afraid of waking
that never takes the chance

It's the one who won't be taken
who can not seem to give
and the soul afraid of dying
that never learns to live

When the night has been too lonely
and the road has been too long
and you think that love is only
for the lucky and the strong

Just remember in the winter
far beneath the bitter snow
lies the seed that with the sun's love
in the spring becomes the rose

Susan
 
Jul 7, 2009
583
0
0
Susan,
Thank you for taking the time to post about Enke. In days gone by, I used to keep up with the German national team. I wasn't aware he was one of their goal keepers. It's a tragic thing, suicide is.
Also thanks for taking the time to post the lyrics. It's very touching.
Wally
 
Susan Westemeyer said:
Robert Enke, 1977-2009. May he rest in peace.

For those who don't know him, he was one of the goalkeepers for the German national football team.

He had been suffering severe depression since 2003. It was compounded when his two-year-old daughter died of congenital heart problems three years ago. Since then he has been plagued by injuries and illnesses, which added to his depression. He had been in psychiatric handling for years, but his teams never knew.

He was unable to cope any longer and commited suicide last night.

One of his reasons was fear of reaction if the news of his depression became public.

That is three suicides by European athletes in the last few days. This is hard to take.

Susan
Hard to believe it has been five years.

And what has changed in professional sport in regard to such illnesses? Nothing....
 
Mar 25, 2013
5,389
0
0
Susan Westemeyer said:
Hard to believe it has been five years.

And what has changed in professional sport in regard to such illnesses? Nothing....
Thanks for bringing up this thread to highlight this important issue. Got me thinking and I bought a copy of "A Life Too Short" on the back of it which arrived today. A friend of mine recommended it to me a while back saying it gives a detailed account of his battle with depression and anxiety where you can get a better understanding of it all.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY