• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Robert Gesink: "I've learnt how to walk again".

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
He didn't really answer when they asked him if he preferred vuelta win or podium in the tour.

Come on man, you want to win a GT right? tss...

Miburo said:
He didn't really answer when they asked him if he preferred vuelta win or podium in the tour.

Come on man, you want to win a GT right? tss...

Silly indeed. I'd much rather have him win the Vuelta then finish 2nd or 3rd in the TdF.
Both are not very likely to happen imo, unless something changes next year which is still possible.

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Kwibus said:
Silly indeed. I'd much rather have him win the Vuelta then finish 2nd or 3rd in the TdF.
Both are not very likely to happen imo, unless something changes next year which is still possible.

It was worse in a interview with Fränk Schleck last spring

He said ¿Can I skip that question?

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
rantanplan said:
Robert Gesink: "I've learnt how to walk again". Interviewing the Dutch rider, sixth in last Vuelta and one of the main goals from this country to get top-three in the Tour de France.

Great that he's feeling good again, that being said he really needs to wake up and forgot about the tour. Go after a gt that he has a chance of winning.
GT win>>>>tour podium

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
rantanplan said:
It was worse in a interview with Fränk Schleck last spring

He said ¿Can I skip that question?

Andy Schleck's comment tops everything though. "I would ride the tour even if I end last"

Wtf is that? Something champions would never say.

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
He really needs to race to win.
I hate the mentality that Rabobank needs to be in the TdF with every single GC guy there is.
They are obviously not good enough, for now, so why not race to win other tours?
I can see Gesink win a Giro or Vuelta if he focuses on it.
A Giro or Vuelta win is better than a TdF podium/top10, because it's a win.

May 28, 2012
Visit site
If there would have been a flat time trial instead of a hilly one, it would have been better for me.

He's finally realized that he's a tempo rider, not a true climber. Reading between the lines it's also clear that he's put peaking for the classics out of his head,
that lucky 3rd place in AGR has chased him for too long.

Giro/Vuelta and all WT stage races in the spring/June are what he's suited for. People will forget about random top 10 spots in the Tour...

Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
I thought I read somewhere he might consider skipping the tour next year.

LOL, no. Van Houwelingen, who is not the biggest Gesink fan, basically said that he didn't rule it out ...that it should be considered. but that was never going to happen anyway. It's not what your boy wants. He'll continue to focus on the Tour for the next couple years. Mark my words.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
18-Valve. (pithy) said:
LOL, no. Van Houwelingen, who is not the biggest Gesink fan, basically said that he didn't rule it out ...that it should be considered. but that was never going to happen anyway. It's not what your boy wants. He'll continue to focus on the Tour for the next couple years. Mark my words.

I don't doubt it, would be a waste I agree.

Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
I don't doubt it, would be a waste I agree.
Michiel Elijzen, their new DS, mentioned as a concrete goal for next year "a podium in the Tour with a Dutch rider". So there you go.

Van Houwelingen not being Gesink's biggest fan is nonsense, BTW. He has once been a little critical, everything else has been lovey-dovey.

TRENDING THREADS