• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rock denied

A

Anonymous

Just when id lost faith in the UCI, they do something right...

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Wow. Floyd really should have made sure that the team he was going to had the license before he quit his old team. Still--I wonder if Floyd's being on the team had an impact on the UCI's rejection of the application. It probably would have been better if Floyd and Rock had kept their mouths shut until after the decision.

Wallace said:
Wow. Floyd really should have made sure that the team he was going to had the license before he quit his old team. Still--I wonder if Floyd's being on the team had an impact on the UCI's rejection of the application. It probably would have been better if Floyd and Rock had kept their mouths shut until after the decision.
Sure, Landis is the only controversial rider at Rock Racing :D

A

Anonymous

good news! rock racing is a bunch of bozos...I think with sevilla there and various other misfits...and now landis, of course they denied them. Glad to see it...Ball can focus on selling 10 buck jeans for 200 bucks at the mall across america...good riddance.

A

Anonymous

But hey...good luck to Floyd in all those local calif. criteriums...perhaps he can get a gig teaching spinning classes at planet fitness...this IS the outcome numbnuts...

Cash05458 said:
But hey...good luck to Floyd in all those local calif. criteriums...perhaps he can get a gig teaching spinning classes at planet fitness...this IS the outcome numbnuts...

Ha ha ha this means I'll get to race against Roid a few times this year no doubt.

But seriously I think this is great news for Pro Cycling. Rock just had a really bad image IMHO, it was like they were blatantly trying to turn Pro Cycling into a WWF style atmosphere with their ridiculous uniforms, their sad attempt at a "bad boy image" and their insatiable desire to sign up every ex-doper around! They're like the Oakland Raiders of Pro Cycling. Or should I say, they were! :D

Finally a good decision by the UCI. A team like Rock is just not what Pro Cycling is about.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Really???

OK so a sponsor wants to spend a lot of money in the sport and you are going to pick and choose if you like him or not?

I can not get over the holier than thou attitude on this board.

We have all never done anything that was or wasn't exactly legal... right?

How can you cheer for Amore & Vita, but a brash sponsor comes around and you thumb your arrogant noses at him.

I am not all for Rock Racing, and think he has made some sketchy choices, but how is it Basso is welcomed back, yet the riders at Rock are called thugs? Is it any different?

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
FFWally said:
Really???

OK so a sponsor wants to spend a lot of money in the sport and you are going to pick and choose if you like him or not?

I don't think that anyone has a problem with Rock's money. They do have a problem with Rock hiring a bunch of dopers, not honoring rider contracts, being insanely mismanaged, protecting doping riders and screwing over team staff

Apr 9, 2009
Visit site
FFWally said:
Really???

We have all never done anything that was or wasn't exactly legal... right?

How can you cheer for Amore & Vita, but a brash sponsor comes around and you thumb your arrogant noses at him.

I am not all for Rock Racing, and think he has made some sketchy choices, but how is it Basso is welcomed back, yet the riders at Rock are called thugs? Is it any different?

Yeah, it's different. Rock has had two riders popped for doping in the last two years. The fiasco with Andreu's hiring then abrupt departure revealed that upper management (meaning Ball) actively concealed doping when Leogrande admitted to it. Driving around in Escalades with the adolescent "rebel" bull****, and with Ball acting like a cheeseball clubber from the '80s doesn't help matters.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Hey I was a cheeseball clubber in the 80's...

OK so I get it, he's a punk. So why does UCI give him ANY place in the sport. Continental vs Pro Continental. Does Rock still have a lic?

May 7, 2009
Visit site
Cash05458 said:
good news! rock racing is a bunch of bozos...I think with sevilla there and various other misfits...and now landis, of course they denied them. Glad to see it...Ball can focus on selling 10 buck jeans for 200 bucks at the mall across america...good riddance.

+1, very well said

DAOTEC

BANNED
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Twisted Spoke

“I have a heart, and I cry, Babe we lost our Pro Conti appeal so what"!

Michael Bell is now between a rock and a hard place. And that’s a sad thing because the sport needs Michael Ball more than it needs another dull Italian team, especially one sponsored by a toy manufacturer. A team coming off the embarrassing suspension of its top rider Davide Rebellin for doping. Fashion models may do drugs but that’s part of their job and they don’t race bikes, right?

Cycling needs Ball’s flamboyance, his rock n roll mentality, his brash pontification and sexy girls. Just ask Giro impresario Angelo Zomegnan about creating spectacle and passion. You can bet Crazy Z wants Rock Racing at his race. He puts on a show, Cirque de Soleil on wheels.

Sure, Ball tends to play loose with the payroll but that’s the fashion world, baby. It’s a rolling party and everybody gets what they need in the end plus a closet of designer jeans and free passes to every disco on the globe.

Meanwhile, the strange Basque outfit, Placebo Galicia, was also approved. Last year, the UCI used this squad to test the difference in fan reaction between a real pro cycling team and a fake one with no active ingredients. Having previously announced the test was over, the inclusion of the Placebo team was a major surprise.

Twisted Spoke is listening to Michael Ball’s favorite music by Band of Skulls and thinking about the final line we saw on the Rock & Republic web site: “Nothing is held back.” Yeah, except a license to race.

The home page of Michael Ball’s Rock & Republic jeans begins with that bold declaration, followed by another slick statement of youth and stylish anarchy,
“go big or go home, and that' s still on, we will now eye for PT status"

DAOTEC said:

Michael Bell is now between a rock and a hard place. And that’s a sad thing because the sport needs Michael Ball more than it needs another dull Italian team, especially one sponsored by a toy manufacturer. A team coming off the embarrassing suspension of its top rider Davide Rebellin for doping. Fashion models may do drugs but that’s part of their job and they don’t race bikes, right?

Cycling needs Ball’s flamboyance, his rock n roll mentality, his brash pontification and sexy girls. Just ask Giro impresario Angelo Zomegnan about creating spectacle and passion. You can bet Crazy Z wants Rock Racing at his race. He puts on a show, Cirque de Soleil on wheels.

Sure, Ball tends to play loose with the payroll but that’s the fashion world, baby. It’s a rolling party and everybody gets what they need in the end plus a closet of designer jeans and free passes to every disco on the globe.

Meanwhile, the strange Basque outfit, Placebo Galicia, was also approved. Last year, the UCI used this squad to test the difference in fan reaction between a real pro cycling team and a fake one with no active ingredients. Having previously announced the test was over, the inclusion of the Placebo team was a major surprise.

Twisted Spoke is listening to Michael Ball’s favorite music by Band of Skulls and thinking about the final line we saw on the Rock & Republic web site: “Nothing is held back.” Yeah, except a license to race.

The home page of Michael Ball’s Rock & Republic jeans begins with that bold declaration, followed by another slick statement of youth and stylish anarchy,

Um, no no and no. Also: No.

A

Anonymous

FFWally said:

Uh, yea. We are fans and consumers, that is what we do. Mr Ball and his metrosexual faux rebel lifestyle and image are a venereal disease to mankind, not to mention cycling. I don't like him or his team of merry dopers.

A

Anonymous

DAOTEC said:

....see what I mean. There is nothing rebellious or "rock and roll" about being a douchebag.

TRENDING THREADS