• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Roger Clemens to be indicted for perjury

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AtvJWK9n4ofgNBpmq7gWzoU5nYcB?slug=jp-clemensindicted081910

"On page 10 is the statement most horrifying to Clemens, the rubbing alcohol in his gaping wound: “The Committee did not issue CLEMENS a subpoena, and CLEMENS was under no obligation to testify. CLEMENS retained his right under the Fifth Amendment to the United States Constitution to refuse to answer any questions that might tend to incriminate him.”
"He could’ve taken the Mark McGwire tack, treating the Fifth like his best friend. He could’ve done what so many other accused steroid users did: not say a thing and let the allegations fade into the ether, a black mark, sure, but not one that torpedoes a life. He could’ve done what his friend Andy Pettitte(notes) did: admit use, apologize for it and move on."

Be sure that Lance is considering this.

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:
completely off topic but just noticed you are from aachen. Weve were there on holiday two weeks ago :D

What a coincidence :)

The city of der Kaiser. On Holiday and watched the Domschatzkammer or the girls ?
Its an european metropolis ;) with many international students, right next to Holland, Belgium and a it is beautiful cyclingregion. Very international spot here.

There are also some American friends from the NATO Airbase around the corner. Some of them really look like "Maverick" and know how to barbecue.

May 9, 2009
Visit site
That these cases only end up with perjury charges is just ridiculous. "Sir, what you've actually done is not serious enough to warrant any sort of punishment whatsoever, but the fact that you lied about this not-very-serious thing is serious and therefore you are going to jail." Huh? I mean, come on. Either the act is a big enough deal on it's own, or it's not.

None of these guys should have ever answered a single question. I suspect that's the strategy Lance and all other future "suspects" will take. Nothing good can come of it, and certainly an individual shouldn't be under any obligation to assist the authorities in "proving" he has done something they don't fancy.

Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
Will Lance be practising what to say from now on? :D

And will he be able to keep it together under rigorous cross examination when others/insiders who know (the facts) do not all corroborate but contradict his points under threat of perjury themselves?

Nothing like a couple of perjury charges to concentrate the mind.

Lying has been a great strategy all round up until now. Maybe not going forward....

May 9, 2009
Visit site
He could avoid all that by not saying a word. There would be no cross examination. He can just keep hammering the "witch hunt" thing in the press and his attorneys can cross examine all the witnesses and all the evidence the prosecution enters.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
eleven said:
Well you certainly can't allow perjury to go unchallenged but Clemens should have never been hauled in front of congress in the first place. It was just a congressional ****show.

And of course, as a visitor you don't have to pay for this crap:D

Clemens volunteered to testify. He was not under subpeona.

I too hope Palmeiro is next. He was an arrogant jackass who lied straight to everyone, then it was revealed he was on roids and failed a test. Add Bonds as well to the chain gang. And Conte should have spent years in prison. At least Greg Anderson did. These people should all do some time, be fined a huge amount of their earnings, and spend a few years of weekends picking up garbage on the side of the freeway.

I'm sure Lance will answer a lot of questions with the 5th, plus a lot of "I don't remember" and "I don't recall" answers.

Andy Pettite's wise decision to humbly confess is not an option Lance really has. It's not in his character, and the opposite of what he built himself upon.

Alan Lim, JB (if called) Weisel, Och, Stapleton and some of the medical staff are in similar positions.

Hincapie, Zabriskie, Hamilton and many others however could take the Pettite route, and walk away looking like the average guy that made a serious mistake and move on okay. I'd even say this applies to Levi. But not to Lance.

So far however it looks like several people will try to take what I'm calling the "5th and amnesia" route, and hope they don't go down with the ship. But we'll see.

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Clemens made the error of not asking if it was going to be a Witch Hunt before testifying.

Rookie mistake.

So, does anyone know what Clemens said that is alleged to be perjurious?

buckwheat

BANNED
Sep 24, 2009
Visit site
eleven said:
I suspect Clemens and Bonds are actually worth more than Armstrong, but that's neither here nor there. All 3 can afford damn good representation .... though it doesn't appear the first two go damn good advice.

There's also an important distinction here: Bonds and Clemens are being indicted for perjury. I suspect the good representation hired by Armstrong will dissuade him from perjuring himself at all costs. As we now know, perjury is Novitsky's bread and butter (and rightfully so).

Why would Pharmstrong perjure himself. He has nothing to hide. Just tell the truth.;)

buckwheat

BANNED
Sep 24, 2009
Visit site
stephens said:
He could avoid all that by not saying a word. There would be no cross examination. He can just keep hammering the "witch hunt" thing in the press and his attorneys can cross examine all the witnesses and all the evidence the prosecution enters.

How can he 'not say a word?'

He has to proclaim his innocense for his fanboys.

buckwheat

BANNED
Sep 24, 2009
Visit site
stephens said:
That these cases only end up with perjury charges is just ridiculous. "Sir, what you've actually done is not serious enough to warrant any sort of punishment whatsoever, but the fact that you lied about this not-very-serious thing is serious and therefore you are going to jail." Huh? I mean, come on. Either the act is a big enough deal on it's own, or it's not.

None of these guys should have ever answered a single question. I suspect that's the strategy Lance and all other future "suspects" will take. Nothing good can come of it, and certainly an individual shouldn't be under any obligation to assist the authorities in "proving" he has done something they don't fancy.

But they haven't done anything. They've nothing to hide. I know if I was innocent I'd be proclaiming it from the mountaintops.

You're different apparently.:confused:

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Cobblestoned said:
Not yet really, but I am thinking about some Botox or a beauty operation for my laugh lines. :D

I think an Armstrong-clinic subforum would be great, with all posts and threads referring Armstrongdoping/fraud moved to that.
Just to be satisfactory to the other clinic´s inmates. They are suffering and disadvantaged because of Lord Lance.

This thread is the best example that it just takes a few posts till........ I have to :D and congratulate.

Your dialougue is....stoned. You been drinkin' before posting?

If LA gets called to a Grand Jury it won't be an instance of cross-examination. That's not how they work. As we discussed several times in other threads, he would be facing prosecutors, and a jury. No judge is there, nor are his attorneys who have to wait outside. In such a situation he couldn't say nothing. He could however simply invoke his 5th amendment rights time and again, until the prosecution got done making him look like a paranoid man with something serious to hide, but he wouldn't be perjuring himself, no.

Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
How are Public Strategies finding the the CN Pharmyard :D (and the Clemens precedent)?

10cm0lx.jpg

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
frizzlefry said:
Clemens volunteered to testify. He was not under subpeona.

Good point - but his options were pretty damn limited. It was either appear and defend yourself or don't appear and let your trainer throw you ten feet under the bus sans rebuttal.

And in either case, it was still a pointless congressional ****show that served no purpose but to inflate the egos of the politicians.

Cobblestoned said:
Another Lance Armstrong thread. :D

Great !

The agenda never sleeps. A baseball player worthy of his own thread on a cycling forum. Someone once told me a little context of discovery mixed with a little context of justification eaten by some slightly unstable individuals makes a great sh-t sandwich. Enjoy!

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Because I love my kids -

Clemens is now saying he "played the game" the way he did, not b/c he was in it for the money or is interested in the Hall of Fame. He simply played professional baseball so he "could take of my family, and provide for my family".

This is a nice attempt, but he really needs to talk to another Texan currently under investigation. "I did it to fight cancer, so you won't have to" soundes sooo much better. :eek:

TRENDING THREADS