• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

    In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

    Thanks!

Rogers quits Tour de Suisse to head to altitude

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 31, 2009
56
0
0
Visit site
Question, when a rider trains at altitude (or sleeps in one of the altitude tents), what altitude are we talking here? Have there been studies on what would be the best altitude? Apparently the highest you can get in the Sierra Nevada's is about 11,500 feet, and you probably aren't sleeping anywhere near that altitude (highest city in Spain is listed as being at just 5553 feet). Alternately you could go to La Paz in Bolivia and live comfortably at 13,500 feet and train a few minutes down the road at 9000 feet. So at what altitude does the benefit plateau?
 
Jan 30, 2010
166
0
0
Visit site
DonTickles said:
Question, when a rider trains at altitude (or sleeps in one of the altitude tents), what altitude are we talking here? Have there been studies on what would be the best altitude? Apparently the highest you can get in the Sierra Nevada's is about 11,500 feet, and you probably aren't sleeping anywhere near that altitude (highest city in Spain is listed as being at just 5553 feet). Alternately you could go to La Paz in Bolivia and live comfortably at 13,500 feet and train a few minutes down the road at 9000 feet. So at what altitude does the benefit plateau?

I've read the minimum height to achieve statistically significant benefit of living at altitude as 5000 feet.. cbf finding reference
 
May 26, 2010
28,143
5
0
Visit site
where's Vino based, his winter training is in tenerife.

" the Teide, on Tenerife, to 3,718 meters. Teide, a dormant volcano, is the highest peak of Spain and the third largest volcano in the world from its base."

altitude training???
 
Aug 16, 2009
52
0
0
Visit site
:
Benotti69 said:
where's Vino based, his winter training is in tenerife.

" the Teide, on Tenerife, to 3,718 meters. Teide, a dormant volcano, is the highest peak of Spain and the third largest volcano in the world from its base."

altitude training???



3718m = 12198 feet
 
auscyclefan94 said:
didn't the tds go near fribourg the other stage. strange, as michael only rode two days of the tds and pulled out. he was already doing altitude training before at sierra nevada. so why go to switzerland and then go back there after a few days to do some more. Something does not add up.

1) Switzerland does have high mountains, but several of the TDS stages did not go particularly high.
2) Weather was awful in switzerland last week.
3) It could not have been predicted that the weather would be this bad - indeed it is worse than usual for the season.
4) Pulling out to go train in some nice dry and warm mountains would make sense.
 
May 20, 2010
175
0
0
Visit site
Even doped to the eyeballs rogers doesn't have a hope of a podium. there are just too many other better dopers out there. he needs some canberra fireworks strapped to his seat for the steeper climbs.
 
Jun 16, 2009
19,654
2
0
Visit site
hmronnow said:
1) Switzerland does have high mountains, but several of the TDS stages did not go particularly high.
2) Weather was awful in switzerland last week.
3) It could not have been predicted that the weather would be this bad - indeed it is worse than usual for the season.
4) Pulling out to go train in some nice dry and warm mountains would make sense.

1) Quite a few were over 2000m
2/3/4) Well that would help him aclimatise for the tour which will probably be rainy. A weather forecast would of tolr you rain in europe for that week. Training in those tough conditions is good prep as riders will need to be ready for tough conditions.