• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Roma Maxima - Giro del Lazio 03.03.2013

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Just finished watching Eurosport's coverage. Unlucky for Pozzato, just lost track of what was going on, he'll be feeling gutted after believing he had the win. But a good solo ride from Kadri for the win

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Well done to Kadri, as a loyal domestique over the past number of years with very little personal opportunities I think he realy deserves this win. He has been very loyal to Roche and co in the mountains during Grand Tours sacrificing himself and he deserves his win today.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
rhubroma said:
I saw the race live in 95 at the finish, when it was still the Giro di Lazio. It finished before the nearby Arch of Constantine. Not bad either.

arch-of-constantine-1.JPG

More like the Arch of every Roman Emperor Constantine could steal off. :D

always sad when the riders haven't enough info and they made themselves look foolish like pippo today. just put yourself in their place. you won the race and then when you want to high five with your soigneur he's hiding because he's embarassed. that's not exciting

but yes i was very wrong about kadri. it was a magnificent ride. basically nibali,reda & co couldn't close in 30 + km a gap of 1'30'' which says to me that kadri wasn't today only the strongest rider from breakaway but probably one of the strongest from the whole peloton. absolutely deserved

gorgeous place for a bike race, it was a win to have this back

May 28, 2012
Visit site
jens_attacks said:
always sad when the riders haven't enough info and they made themselves look foolish like pippo today. just put yourself in their place. you won the race and then when you want to high five with your soigneur he's hiding because he's embarassed. that's not exciting

but yes i was very wrong about kadri. it was a magnificent ride. basically nibali,reda & co couldn't close in 30 + km a gap of 1'30'' which says to me that kadri wasn't today only the strongest rider from breakaway but probably one of the strongest from the whole peloton. absolutely deserved

gorgeous place for a bike race, it was a win to have this back

+1

It just looks stunning to win with the Colloseum in the background, the Forum Romanum to your left and Forum Traiani to the right. The Giro should put this in their route asap. Much better than Champs Elysees.

A sprint royale would have been great had it been for the victory, but Kadri had it coming for a long time. He idd profited from the confusion by lack of radios, but he still deserved all the glory.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
jens_attacks said:

The reason there should be race radios isn't to make racing safer, it's so riders don't make themselves look foolish by sticking their arms up at the finish when they haven't won. :p

jens_attacks said:
Oh poor thing. Wasn't he working with the other riders with 3Km to go to catch Kadri? Maybe he should pay more attention since he was near the front.

Races without radios rule!!!!

jens_attacks said:

Pippo was ok about it afterwards though.

Not so bad when it happens to top riders who know what its like to win the biggest races. They can shrug it off and dream on their monument and gt stages.

Its when its small riders who think theyve just got a victory they will never forget, like Marcos García at the Vuelta, that it looks sad.

Would be hillarious though if Pippo won Flanders not wanting to make a fool out of himself and didnt celebrate, then found out he won

cineteq said:
Oh poor thing. Wasn't he working with the other riders with 3Km to go to catch Kadri? Maybe he should pay more attention since he was near the front.

no, he wasn't, he was one group further back. Bole didn't know as well, he thought they were sprinting for the win.

In the end this might have even been to Kadri's advantage. The bunch took ~half of his gap between kilometers 12 and 6 to go but just another ~10 seconds on from there. Maybe they did not want to catch that group with Nibali and so on too early

But I'm just guessing of course, and Kadri did a magnificent race, no disrespect to him

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
garyhoop1 said:
Watch highlights of todays Roma Maxima race here: http://bit.ly/YIeJLH

Just watched the full highlights, what a great race! An outstanding ride by Kadri, loved it when he went away in the narrow alley way. And then getting his chain back on while descending, that took some skill.

Maybe riders should be able to listen to race radio, yes it improves racing that the team managers can not just shout down their ear but also can not have guys sprinting for 2nd thinking they are going for a win.

Impressive power from pozz considering he doesnt sprint in the full out style.

search said:
no, he wasn't, he was one group further back. Bole didn't know as well, he thought they were sprinting for the win.

In the end this might have even been to Kadri's advantage. The bunch took ~half of his gap between kilometers 12 and 6 to go but just another ~10 seconds on from there. Maybe they did not want to catch that group with Nibali and so on too early

But I'm just guessing of course, and Kadri did a magnificent race, no disrespect to him

The bunch took too long to organise the chase and even without race radios it's hard to believe the information about Kadri could not have come from a car riding beside the riders. Kadri was fantastic and the fact that the chasing group was hovering on a minute for what seemed ages until the very end and Kadri had trouble with his chain just shows how good he was on the day. What are these team managers getting paid to do ? Considering the length of time Kadri was in front. I was glad he won.

TRENDING THREADS