• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Romain Bardet Discussion Thread

Page 14 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

lenric said:
Good ride today. Don't know if that would be this good if he had not lose so much time in the ITT, but ok.

Needs to train his ITT, as others have stated, otherwise he'll hardly win a GT.
Bardet was no threat: Dawg and LRP let him go. Still, he looked good.

For the ITT discussion, I agree. Yet, and he made no secrets about it, Romain thinks that his best chance is to play yo yo. Lose time, get off the radar, launch a ninja attack that the big dogs don't chase, and more than make up for lost time on everybody in the 3-10 standings. Entertaining. Efficient? For a top-5 yes, a podium maybe, for the win, no way.

I don't blame him. It's the media, the fans who set unrealistic expectations. Bardet knows where he's at, what his weapons and options are. And now that Pinot got a top-5, he has the additional pressure to deliver GC wise. I'd rather see him go for polka dot and 2-3 stages.

Re: Re:

In last decade, I have never seem any 5th positioned GC to beat leader by attack
Contrador have fixed leaders when 1st vs 2nd competition.
But he has strong riders such as Michael Roger and Saxo bank in his disposal.

RB has decided to lose time in ITT and go to attack.
Yellow is out of his reach.

He had a poor TT even by his standards and I don't think his form is at peak yet ... which is a good thing really. What's great to see is that he will still attack and attack and attack again. When the stakes are high at the tour, you may get a situation where Porte and Froome mark each other and just let him go. If not the first time, the second or the third etc. Podium would be a good result for him this year. I just hope he stays safe.

Great ride, and, yes, he wasn't a threat so he wasn't marked closely. I don't think he would have gotten away if he was top 4 and within 1:30-2:00 of leader.

Regarding his ITT form: Surely it's worth a few weeks of aero work and coaching to get his form up. I just don't understand the logic: 'I'll concede 2-3 minutes even before the prologue to Froome/Porte, so I can surprise them in the mountains."

Tonton said:
lenric said:
Good ride today. Don't know if that would be this good if he had not lose so much time in the ITT, but ok.

Needs to train his ITT, as others have stated, otherwise he'll hardly win a GT.

I don't blame him. It's the media, the fans who set unrealistic expectations. Bardet knows where he's at, what his weapons and options are. And now that Pinot got a top-5, he has the additional pressure to deliver GC wise. I'd rather see him go for polka dot and 2-3 stages.
He finished 2nd at the Tour last year, why on earth would he feel pressure or even care about Pinot finishing top 5 at the Giro? :confused: Granted, I am not French and don't know the situation there but that just sounds silly.

Tonton said:
For the ITT discussion, I agree. Yet, and he made no secrets about it, Romain thinks that his best chance is to play yo yo. Lose time, get off the radar, launch a ninja attack that the big dogs don't chase, and more than make up for lost time on everybody in the 3-10 standings. Entertaining. Efficient? For a top-5 yes, a podium maybe, for the win, no way.
The right choice as long as the TDF keeps the ITT mileage (relatively) low, IMO. Bardet doesn't have the physique of a Tour winner, so I think it's best for him to keep focusing on what he's actually very good at.

Pity he had cramps in the last two kilometers yesterday. Not that it would have changed his overall GC.

He was very surprised by Astana this week and particularly by Fuglsang (when both were on the attack on La Colombière, Bardet said to the Dane: "Excuse me, I'm going all out. You're one leg ahead.") He saw a very strong Valverde too.

Not sure whether Bardet fully rides for gc at the Tour. Polka dot, a stage win, kamikaze attacks and a top 5 might be more than enough. Virenque syle. Might've his full peak at the Vuelta instead, if he really tries to win it. Normally Bardet got a long peak last years. Being already good at the Dauphine and then even improving during the Tour. This time around he was pretty weak by his standards during the Tour. Might be because he's got other plans this year.

Re:

It seems RB under pressure. He pointed that yellow is not everything. Best performance rather win is more important. I hope French people understand RB has only tiny chance to win the tour.
Yellow is unrealistic.

Meanwhile, LRP shows us more about his quality yesterday.
Compared with RB, Pinot, Rolland, etc, LRP is more likely....

TT, climbing, endurance, spirit... If LRP could be consistent for 3 weeks. French hope will come ture。

toolittle said:
It seems RB under pressure. He pointed that yellow is not everything. Best performance rather win is more important. I hope French people understand RB has only tiny chance to win the tour.
Yellow is unrealistic.

Meanwhile, LRP shows us more about his quality yesterday.
Compared with RB, Pinot, Rolland, etc, LRP is more likely....

TT, climbing, endurance, spirit... If LRP could be consistent for 3 weeks. French hope will come ture。
You're probably referring to that interview (nice read btw): http://www.liberation.fr/sports/2017/06/22/romain-bardet-je-ne-cours-pas-pour-gagner-le-tour_1578862
He sounds realistic to me, not particularly stressed. He knows that the difference in level between top riders is tiny.

As for Pierre Latour, we'll see how he does. As a teammate, in his first Tour de France, in fact in his first Grand Tour, Romain achieved 15th place. He's made for these races, or at least for this race.

Re:

sir fly said:
I think Bardet is approaching the race with right attitude.
You can't openly claim you're going for the Yellow in such competition.
Let the others carry the burden of being a favourite.
What's ironic is the reactions of the so-called fans in France. Like RB is not ambitious enough. Had Romain said "I'm going for the win", the same would have called him arrogant.

I think that he's smart managing the pressure, not adding fuel to the fire, Doing his own thing. In the end, it's his pedaling that will do the talking. In the prediction thread I have him 6th, but really, a nice Ninja attack like last year could make it a better placing than that. I agree with his statement in this interview: as long as he gives it all, that's all that matters. Then let the chips fall where they may. No regrets.

Re:

staubsauger said:
Top 5, 1-2 stage wins, polka dot jersey. That's my prediction!

Virenque style! :cool:
That's a pre-ban Virenque result...so Vayer was right? Make it top-10...please...post-ban.

I don't think he'll go for the KOM, unless the GC race is going wrong, and by then, Majkas or Pinot will be 50, 70 points ahead...coming from a 2nd place, he has no choice but stick with the GC thing.

Tonton said:
staubsauger said:
Top 5, 1-2 stage wins, polka dot jersey. That's my prediction!

Virenque style! :cool:
That's a pre-ban Virenque result...so Vayer was right? Make it top-10...please...post-ban.

I don't think he'll go for the KOM, unless the GC race is going wrong, and by then, Majkas or Pinot will be 50, 70 points ahead...coming from a 2nd place, he has no choice but stick with the GC thing.
It's possible to go for gc and polka dot like Rasmussen 05, Virenque 94 & 97, Sanchez 11.

His main opponent for the polka dot jersey might be Giullaume Martin anyway. Since Majka wants to go for the gc and I don't expect Pinot to be much of a factor after an intense Giro.