• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Romain Bardet Discussion Thread

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

armchairclimber said:
Shame Bardet isn't at the Vuelta. He could have gone stage hunting whilst supporting Pozzovivo. I know he has just been racing the Olympic route in Brazil but still.

Yeah -- the best French riders all seem to be opting out (apart from Bouhanni). I was expecting to see Alaphillippe there too, but no dice.

Bardet has been my favourite rider of 2015, as he was last year. Despite his off day and a lower finish at the TDF, I think he actually enhanced his reputation as a racer this year, not only for his two nutty descent attacks for stage wins in the Tour and the Dauphine but for his willingness to attack in general. Now he is sole AG2R leader for the 2016 Tour, anyone fancy him for the podium?

Puh. It depends on whether he's fully going for a top 5 classification spot or more for stage wins and the polka dot jersey. I guess the last option provides a higher chance to reach a podium spot.

Bardet could produce a nice joint venture with Aru in order to crack one of Froome, Contador, Quintana in a baf moment with some fearless attacks. That way Aru actually could sneak a Tour podium and Bardet the polka dot jersey AND a top 5 classification spot.

It's purely theoretical of course. But I really hope he and Aru realize that attacking never mind should be their best tactic to reach their goals.

No way he'll get a podium if Froome, AC, Quintana, Aru all make it to Paris without incident. There are others that could beat him as well if things go right. I like his style of racing, but imo he can only keep that style up if he rides for stage wins and the KOM jersey. If he rides for a top 5, he'll have to be more conservative for most of the Tour.

I like Bardet super much as well. Felt like you had to take side last year between Pinot and Bardet and I like him a lot better for some reason. That said, I think the ceiling is top-5 this year barring 2 or more crashes. Im hoping to see him race aggressively right from the Pyrenees since he honestly is pretty horrible at TT'ing, but I could see a more defensive approach in order to be at 100% for the Alps without losing too much time.

I'm inclined to agree that KOM is a more realistic target, along with stage wins. I just hope that he gets stronger/more robust as he ages. His main hope for podium is to make a lot of time on a mountain breakaway stage (ie if there's a crash or something behind him amongst the chasing group). Then he might just be able to defend.

Re:

yaco said:
Time trialling is far below standard - You put together the best characteristics of Pinot and Bardet and then you have a Podium GT rider.

errr... Surely Pinot is a podium GT rider by definition :confused:

I like the way Bardet races but I don't think he has as much GC potential as Pinot

Re: Re:

motty89 said:
yaco said:
Time trialling is far below standard - You put together the best characteristics of Pinot and Bardet and then you have a Podium GT rider.

errr... Surely Pinot is a podium GT rider by definition :confused:

I like the way Bardet races but I don't think he has as much GC potential as Pinot
Regarding the mainly steady Tour de France cols, yes.

If one of them would once (again) ride the Giro or Vuelta: I tend to believe Bardet got his uphill kick in favor of Pinot on those irregular, steep ramps.

Although of course, Pinot did well at Lombardia recently and the Giro suits diesel climbers like Basso, Kruisjwijk, Breukink, as well.

TRENDING THREADS