• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Romain Bardet Discussion Thread

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

portugal11 said:
Bardet is the only french that could win a gt in 2 years
You won't mind if I disagree, do you :p .

This being said, that's the closest a French rider has been to winning the TdF since Hinault. Even Virenque never got this close. Had Froome crash been worse, Bardet would be in yellow tonight. Not that I wish Dawg any bad luck, but a fall is a fall, and between a small crash and a DNF, there isn't much particularly at this speed.

Well-designed and gutsy move, well-deserved podium. I don't think he'll lose his second place. He opened a decent gap on the only real threat right now: Porte.

Fantastique! Bravo Romain!

Brilliant stuff. Well, he has answered the question we asked earlier in the year. He certainly can podium a GT. His performance in the MTT and the attack yesterday were outstanding. What's really encouraging is that, even though his rivals know what he is likely to do, they can't do much about it when he goes. He is thrilling to watch....if a little terrifying at times.

The next stop is a GT win. He should have the self belief to do that now.

Apr 3, 2016
Visit site
It would be great to see him in a stronger team, built around him for the Tour, and come back and fight for the win. Porte and Quintana as super domestics....I'd buy into that :razz:

The wheel will turn my friends ;) , Pinot will be back with guns blazing. Regardless, Romain took over the #1 spot in French cycling, due to smart tactics, guts, what he did was wonderful. So let's celebrate. Unlike way too many who raced not to lose, Bardet took chances, and it paid off. Well done, bravo, and keep getting better.

Re:

IndianCyclist said:
He is not yet at big 4 level but he is the best of the rest. However he may have a consistency problem. Last year he gave up on GC
He vomited en route to Cauterets last year due to the heat and was fighting for the stage win the day after. He came from 20th on GC to 9th plus a stage win, finishing with the GC group behind Nibali-Quintana-Froome on La Toussuire the day after his stage win.

It's too early to talk of consistency, obviously, but the guy knows how to fight back a disappointment. Most importantly, it's his best sequence ever, showing that his preparation works well.

TRENDING THREADS