• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Romain Bardet Discussion Thread

Page 13 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Alexandre B. said:
He won't improve from second to first if he continues to TT like Purito, that's for sure.
The most disappointing thing is what I read in l'Equipe today: Romain stating that he doesn't focus on improving his ITT; that bad ITT and time losses gives opportunities for future attacks. The Ninja approach may be OK if a top-5 is the objective, but as you mention, he'll never win a GT like that.

Regardless, let's see what RB does in the mountains. If he destroys everybody, then with so little ITT in the Tour, Bardet still has a shot at a very high placing in the GC.

Re: Re:

Tonton said:
Alexandre B. said:
He won't improve from second to first if he continues to TT like Purito, that's for sure.
The most disappointing thing is what I read in l'Equipe today: Romain stating that he doesn't focus on improving his ITT; that bad ITT and time losses gives opportunities for future attacks. The Ninja approach may be OK if a top-5 is the objective, but as you mention, he'll never win a GT like that.

Regardless, let's see what RB does in the mountains. If he destroys everybody, then with so little ITT in the Tour, Bardet still has a shot at a very high placing in the GC.

Romain on wind tunnel photo pop up more than 10 times in Facebook since Paris nice.
Romain must spend some time but result is bad.

I think it is all about form. Romain may not train hard enough after a successful 2016.

Latour showed that he is capable. AG2R have a decent TDF team this year.

Remember TJVG and Porter. Froome and Wiggins.
AG2R boss.... a choice is there.

If RB can't perform a good show next 3 days (beat the big 4)but Latour could match big guns, ...

I really like Latour, but GT-wise, he's nowhere near the level of Romain Bardet. It would be like supporting Geraint to lead Sky because Froome doesn't look as strong as usual. Let's see what the mountains bring, and after all, there're three weeks left until July. The prediction thread hasn't popped-up yet, but assuming that no contender DNF, after Froome, Porte, Contador, and Quintana,, Bardet is right there (with Valverde if Don Alejandro can both help Quintana and himself). Not a bad place to be. I'd like to see something though...

Re:

Pozzovivo did a good show for the team in giro.

TDF is another story. AG2R won't be happy with TDF version of pozzovivo.

I can't imagine RB in top3 GC this year.

AG2R team is quite good this year. With RB, Latour, and Frank Matthias team classicification is quite possible.

Latour has a real chance for white jersey.

If RB targets potka and combative, the chance is sky high.
Then, RB could still attack and do his Ninja way.

I believe French communities will be happy with potka + white + team + combative + nice stage(s) win + 3 person in top 12.

It isx if use all the horsepower to get a GC 5th and nothing else.

The truth is that old generation of gc will be past in 2 years time.
In New generation, none super strong all round riders.
All of up and coming guys on the table are climb strong with ok TT only. RB has real chance for yellow 2 years later but not now.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Let's calm down, Latour is more of an allrounder and not a pure climber, so him being better in the ITT isn't that much of a surprise.
Let's see how he does on the mountain stages.

Latour performance in Stage 20 of 16 Vuelta left a huge impression in my brain.

At age of 22.
First entrance to GT
Won last stage which is epic & demanding w/MTF
Fast and crazy start
Around 30 persons in breakaway
Breakaway includes Robert Gesink, LLS, Pierre Rolland, Louis Meintjes, Frank Matthias, Darwin Atapuma
Brutal finish
Passed 2 times by opponent last KM.
Won and drop 2nd in last 50 meters.

More surprise when I reviewed video.
In last 10km of 9% average climb :
Loss 30 sec to Froome & Quintana duo attack from pletelon
Take 10 sec from Alberto Contador group
Take 30 sec from Esteban Chaves
Take 60 sec from Simon Yates group

toolittle said:
Latour performance in Stage 20 of 16 Vuelta left a huge impression in my brain.

At age of 22.
First entrance to GT
Won last stage which is epic & demanding w/MTF
Fast and crazy start
Around 30 persons in breakaway
Breakaway includes Robert Gesink, LLS, Pierre Rolland, Louis Meintjes, Frank Matthias, Darwin Atapuma
Brutal finish
Passed 2 times by opponent last KM.
Won and drop 2nd in last 50 meters.

More surprise when I reviewed video.
In last 10km of 9% average climb :
Loss 30 sec to Froome & Quintana duo attack from pletelon
Take 10 sec from Alberto Contador group
Take 30 sec from Esteban Chaves
Take 60 sec from Simon Yates group

He is the real deal.

2016 Il Lombardia, he finished in an elite group with Valverde,Robert Gesink, Warren Barguil, Alessandro De Marchi, Fabio Aru after his effort as RB's domestique.
Finished in top 10.

Re:

Alexandre B. said:
Before the Formigal demise he was sitting 18th on GC.

But Tonton is right in my opinion. Bardet's record in GTs is super impressive (15th, 6th, 9th with a stage win, 2nd with a stage win) and I don't think Latour could match that.

I am not to say Latour is stronger than Bardet.

I believe Bardet likely to finish top 5 if he focus in GC. However, top 3 is a big ask. Till today, it is unlikely unless his climbing ability increase a lot.

If Latour focus in GT, I bet he could finish in Top 10 and got white jersey.
If Bardet focus in Potka, he still could finish in Top 10.

For example :
1% of yellow jersey +
5% of Top 3 +
50% of Top 5
10% of 2 stages win
VS
50% of white +
50% of Potka +
30% team classification +
50% Combative
30% of 2 stages win
5 % of Top 5
50% of Top 10

What is your choice?

If not chased down by a white/brown/Blue team, Oliver Nessen must have won today.
Directeur sportif resposiblity.
Misuse of leadership
Such kind of misuse never end.... Is it too difficult to calculate?

Last year's results were honestly pretty skewed, as long as there is a decent amount of flat to hilly time trailing, Romain has big limitations. There weren't last year in Dauphine and you can argue the Tour as well (where the 2-5 spots were very, very close anyways).

I would be careful what I wish for, I think top-5 would be very good and act as a confirmation. In the Tour, that is.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Last year's results were honestly pretty skewed, as long as there is a decent amount of flat to hilly time trailing, Romain has big limitations. There weren't last year in Dauphine and you can argue the Tour as well (where the 2-5 spots were very, very close anyways).

I would be careful what I wish for, I think top-5 would be very good and act as a confirmation. In the Tour, that is.
Agree 99%.

Last year 2-5 were very close, but unlike the other 2-5 riders, Bardet wasn't satisfied. He earned his 2nd place with that gutsy and tactically brilliant attack. And again this year, week 3, there will be riders and teams who will defend their 4th or 6th place rather than attack. That's not Romain Bardet. In a similar scenario, it will be a similar outcome: he will go get it.

Re:

Bardet is a great rider for sure. Close to yellow but not strong enough yet.
Just feel upset for his way for building up career.

Take an example, Fabio Aru, got a Vuelta in bag before go for TDF.

Keen for hunting yellow just to burn team's resource to push him from 6th to 5th GC.
There are ways to get better result for himself and his teammate as well. That is my opinion.

I saw AG2R domestiques are used up for chasing teammate. And left Bardet isolated on climb.

When AG2R was pulling strong after Cote de Jongieux, I thought they are preparing for sending Vuillermoz or Latour to the road.
Jesus, they burned themselve and setup for Astana. Quite a surprise.

HelloDolly said:
Mayomaniac said:
Let's calm down, Latour is more of an allrounder and not a pure climber, so him being better in the ITT isn't that much of a surprise.
Let's see how he does on the mountain stages.

Carlton Kirby thinks LaTour is the new Bernard Hinault ..... :surprised:

Poor LaTour.... he will be a Kirby obsession from now on

As soon as Kirby said De Gendt might hang onto the jersey and mentioned how he won on the Stelvio in 2012 he was dropped. As Kirby was talking you could see him drifting backwards. With Kirby the pictures are always ahead of the voice !

TRENDING THREADS