• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Romain Bardet Discussion Thread

Page 18 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

deValtos said:
Rollthedice said:
deValtos said:
Rollthedice said:
Isn't it that you can take a bottle from a spectator but it is forbidden to get one from your team? Uran got one from a Cannondale guy while Bardet clearly has one from a fan.

"Marien's first response was that he didn’t care if the feed came from a small child or anyone, the penalty would still be the same"

Not to mention Uran didn't even get his bottle from a team member.

Who is Marien? JV recognized Uran did get the bottle from a team employee.

Cannondale employee to be correct, he isn't part of the team staff, they don't know the guy. JV says the team staff would not make that mistake as they were all briefed. But ok I can see that being an issue.

Marien is the head of the UCI jury on this race.

You also have Bennet who didn't take a drink, only poured it on himself. Bardet actually did take a drink.

Something ain't right regardless of which angle you want to tackle it from.

I just read JVs take on this. Though not a fan of JVs version of other things in life, this is definitely fishy and in the end favouring Bardet and penalising a direct competitor. Not nice.

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
From JV's conversation with the jury on twitter:

"Have they offered any explanation on why Bardet was not penalized?"

JV: yes. They didn't see him take bottle.

Despite the fact JV showed them a video of Bardet taking a bottle ...

To sum up though he said he doesn't think there is a french bias, just sheer incompetence.

If Bardet was 2 minutes away from Aru he'd get penalized.
It's weird. Or not. Cycling is a kind of a joke not because of the teams, or the riders, but because those who are intended to regulate the competition have no idea on how to do it, hence their incompetence, like JV mentioned.

Such a shame that such a world-known event is so poorly managed.

deValtos said:
Alexandre B. said:
carton said:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BWfuMaEB8-3/
Via (who else) JV.

Love it when he's being a knat that ASO can't quite swat.
What a sad character he is.

Whatever happens, they won't took away his stage win.

I won't defend JV for many things but for reals ... if you have a contender in your team that has been singled out for a penalty where someone else who is also contending for the same place gets away scott free I think I'd bring that up to no? A TDF win is up for grabs, I don't think you let UCI jury incompetence slide like that.

Eh, I like Vaugters, always have. He's a flawed character but passionate. And good for him for sticking up for his rider. Uran appreciates it, I'm sure. Bardet clearly being protected.

Re:

lenric said:
It's weird. Or not. Cycling is a kind of a joke not because of the teams, or the riders, but because those who are intended to regulate the competition have no idea on how to do it, hence their incompetence, like JV mentioned.

i agree, I do not add anything else. Just disgusted by this theater

Matteo. said:
lenric said:

Imagine the embarrassment if he was to win by less the 20 seconds.. :D

happytramp said:
Matteo. said:
lenric said:

Imagine the embarrassment if he was to win by less the 20 seconds.. :D

Hopefully not, it would be a shame :cry:
I have nothing against bardet, but rules are rules.
They could pretend not to see and punish anyone. Instead they chose to punish only uran and bennet, decision even worse than the first hypothesis because it feeds too many doubts.
Worse than they could not do

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Rollthedice said:
They reversed the decision, no penalty for Uran and Bennet.
Best outcome. Makes it more likely the GC competition will be close whilst avoiding the indefensible double standard that would be a different treatment of Bardet and Uran

Re:

Alexandre B. said:
I hope this will end the pathetic flow of insults against french people or riders (not specifically here, but in general).

Well, not that I agree with insulting anyone, but it's still quite ridiculous ... First they punish 2 riders, then they noticed a French rider is involved as well and all of a sudden no punishment is needed at all! "Wasn't that big of an offence anyway, was it?"

Come on.. if they decided taking a bottle of water in the final 10K deserves a penalty, then give the stupid time penalty already, but don't come back on it as soon as a French riders gets involved.

Re:

Alexandre B. said:
I hope this will end the pathetic flow of insults against french people or riders (not specifically here, but in general).
What? No doubt this would've happened with Italians or Spaniards if there were double standards shown by the race jury in their respective GTs. It isn't a flow of insults but rather pretty gentle questioning of the race jury's true intentions. Like South Korea in their World Cup - when fifa pretty explicitly pulled many a string to get them into the semi finals. That isn't a flow of insults toward the South Koreans.

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
"In light of the inability of teams to resupply their riders before the last climb of stage 12 of the 2017 ..."

Funny that, I remember when Skys car broke down in 2013 leading to an inability to resupply their riders before the last climb ...

Porte took a feed at 6km and Froome got docked 20 seconds.

Consistency!

Re:

deValtos said:
"In light of the inability of teams to resupply their riders before the last climb of stage 12 of the 2017 ..."

Funny that, I remember when Skys car broke down in 2013 leading to an inability to resupply their riders before the last climb ...

Porte took a feed at 6km and Froome got docked 20 seconds.

Consistency!
Not to mention that it clearly was possible to feed riders before 10km to go, as evidenced by Sky yesterday when they handed out musettes to their riders.

portugal11 said:
lenric said:
Rollthedice said:

A precedent was created.
Shameful... they are hungry to have a french winner that they forget the rules. Shameful shameful shameful

Meh. I'm OK with the UCI changing their minds and taking away the penalty for Uran and Bennett. I believe them when they say they didn't give a penalty to Bardet because they initially didn't see him take a bottle. OK, so Vaughters later shows them a videoclip of Bardet taking a bottle. They didn't want to penalize a rider after the fact, so they reversed their initial penalty to make it more fair for the riders that were initially penalized. I realize this isn't consistent with the after-the-fact decision to kick Sagan out of the TDF, for instance. But how much to we want UCI to be watching video clips after the end of the race to hand out various penalties? It's not a perfect system, but I think it was more fair to take away the initial penalties rather than keep them in place and add another penalty to a rider hours after the end of the race for a minor infraction. (I realize they provided a different justification for their retraction of the penalties for Uran and Bennett.) Not an easy call either way.

portugal11 said:
lenric said:
Rollthedice said:

A precedent was created.
Shameful... they are hungry to have a french winner that they forget the rules. Shameful shameful shameful
So he is all honest but guilty at the PN and a liar & guilty at the TDF where the stakes are much higher. Hypocrite

Re:

Alexandre B. said:

Everyone expects race organisers in every country to favour their home riders to some extent, particularly if it involves deciding whether or not to make a judgment call against home riders in the hunt for the win. It's nothing to do with France in particular. If anything most people expect the Giro and Vuelta organisers to be less subtle about their preferences.

We are talking about commercial enterprises which would enjoy commercial advantages with a home winner. There's nothing more universal than financial interest.

We are also talking about a sport where whole GC parcours have on occasion been designed to assist particular riders.

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I enjoy reading l'equipe's comments and Bardet definitely rustled a few of his french fans (to clarify a very small minority) by lying (twice) to french and english journalists about the bottle incident. He's been the perfect gentleman so far in his career but he's getting the taste of actual victory at the TDF and that always brings a slight shift in attitude.

Jul 14, 2017
Visit site
Re: Re: Incompe

IndianCyclist said:
portugal11 said:
lenric said:
Rollthedice said:

A precedent was created.
So he is all honest but guilty at the PN and a liar & guilty at the TDF where the stakes are much higher. Hypocrite

Philippe Marien and his unprofessional friends (UCI jury) are incompetent Commissars, and the same stupidity was applied by him, and his jury, to Sagan. These commissars take there tests every 10 years and get complacent, and really do not know how to apply the rules, as they have never raced at pro level, for the most part. He, and his jury wanted Bardets' result to stand, so much, they could not apply the rule fairly so they erased the infractions. B.T.W. Philippe is Belgian, not French. Sagan's rule infraction was enforced to show the "Tour" is concerned with safety after their debacle at Dusseldorf. The paint lines could have been scraped to a rough level on the dangerous corners, to cure the problems, they knew that were there, to begin with. Being a Judge, requires imparting a fair sentence, when the rules are broken, even if you do not agree with the rule, as the Judge. Poor old Valverde, out for the season, maybe ending his career, the most prolific rider this season, with 11 REAL wins, suffers the consequences, of poor judgements as well. :)

TRENDING THREADS