• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Romain Bardet Discussion Thread

Page 19 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

deValtos said:
I enjoy reading l'equipe's comments and Bardet definitely rustled a few of his french fans (to clarify a very small minority) by lying (twice) to french and english journalists about the bottle incident. He's been the perfect gentleman so far in his career but he's getting the taste of actual victory at the TDF and that always brings a slight shift in attitude.

Why lie, though?

Re:

deValtos said:
I enjoy reading l'equipe's comments and Bardet definitely rustled a few of his french fans (to clarify a very small minority) by lying (twice) to french and english journalists about the bottle incident. He's been the perfect gentleman so far in his career but he's getting the taste of actual victory at the TDF and that always brings a slight shift in attitude.
That's definitely a mistake on his part.

Back to racing, he seemed very concerned with Quintana and Landa back into the game, criticizing the lack of cooperation in the descent. I think he's not happy with the way Aru rode.

I think it's one of yesterday's losers.
After the beautiful victory of peyragudes, I expected him to try to put froome in trouble on the final climb. But above all , with latour and gastauer I expected to keep landacloser, but came to almost 3 minutes at some point.
Maybe the goal was to send vuillermoz as a point of support for the final, but when he saw that he could not stand with quintana and barguil he would have to make the team work more coordinated to get closer to landa.
if I was a journalist I would have asked him some informations about it :p

Re:

Matteo. said:
After the beautiful victory of peyragudes, I expected him to try to put froome in trouble on the final climb. But above all , with latour and gastauer I expected to keep landacloser, but came to almost 3 minutes at some point.
Maybe the goal was to send vuillermoz as a point of support for the final, but when he saw that he could not stand with quintana and barguil he would have to make the team work more coordinated to get closer to landa.
That was the point, but what Sky achieved with Kwiatkowski, AG2R didn't with Vuillermoz.

Re: Re:

Alexandre B. said:
Matteo. said:
That was the point, but what Sky achieved with Kwiatkowski, AG2R didn't with Vuillermoz.
Yes, i finally agree

Re:

Alexandre B. said:
He lost 4 seconds on Froome and Uran but took back 21 seconds on Aru.

This finish wasn't ideally suited to his qualities so overall it's okay. And I think a scenario with Froome in yellow and Landa in domestic duties is better.
No it isn't. If an attacker goes, Landa won't go with them and pull them back because of the current situation. Which means that Froome won't work in this scenario and will be fresh for the final which means that Aru/Bardet/Uran's gains, if any, wouldn't be enough for TT (in the other scenario, Landa joins the attackers and goes rogue which means that Froome wastes himself chasing Landa Gr.(and possibly Quintana, too) before Aru/Bardet/Uran trio try to drop Froome with everything they got and may get minutes on Froome)

Alexandre B. said:
deValtos said:

Back to racing, he seemed very concerned with Quintana and Landa back into the game, criticizing the lack of cooperation in the descent. I think he's not happy with the way Aru rode.
He had plenty of teammates that could have worked before Péguère.

Netserk said:
Alexandre B. said:
deValtos said:

He had plenty of teammates that could have worked before Péguère.
He's specifically talking about the descent after Péguère.

So the gap to Quintana and Landa was irrelevant to what he said? He may have wanted a different scenario after the descent, but he could just as well have done something about that himself with his team before that, so he wouldn't be so dependent on the cooperation of others.

I missed yesterday's stage, I was moving and off-line for two days, and now catching up. And I still read the same mix-up, folks who don't know who makes the decisions but are so eager to take an anti-French stance that they go on rants...the bitter...after Demare, now it's Bardet. Sour grapes, if you ask me...cry me a river, Sagan was DQed...

I don't know what Romain said. If he wasn't honest, I'm disappointed. I was off-line for two days and will make my opinion. Regardless, I sense some fear in some of the posts. Yep, Romain Bardet is for real. Be afraid: he may finish 5th, but he may also win the whole thing.

The sad thing is that some here would try to spin it, like there was a grand design, a conspiracy. The truth is on the bike, Bardet is where he deserves to be, let's enjoy and stop the negativity.

I'm a fan of cycling, much more than any rider. My favorite should be home resting, he's toast from the Giro. Still, I enjoy Le Tour. I enjoy cycling...that's all.

Alexandre B. said:
hrotha said:
That was one of the most baffling things I've ever seen in cycling. Bardet and AG2R acted like putting time on Froome was no biggie.
They tried. They failed. But they tried.
No, they half-arsed it. They failed because what they attempted (to magically put time on Froome without Bardet taking any risks or having to take responsibility by himself, without his domestiques) was impossible.

Alexandre B. said:
hrotha said:
That was one of the most baffling things I've ever seen in cycling. Bardet and AG2R acted like putting time on Froome was no biggie.
The team did very well. Impressive performance.

That said, the captains (not just Bardet) should have attacked before Froome bridged. So they should probably have used up their doms more quickly.

Netserk said:
Alexandre B. said:
hrotha said:
The team did very well. Impressive performance.

That said, the captains (not just Bardet) should have attacked before Froome bridged. So they should probably have used up their doms more quickly.

I totally agree.