• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Romain Bardet Discussion Thread

Page 37 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Red Rick said:
SafeBet said:
Great performance. In hindsight France should have played it a bit differently, considering both Bardet and Pinot looked very strong. But it made sense to ride for Alaphilippe.
Except for that it didn't
Last climb is too difficult for Alaphilippe.
What if they had sent Pinot and Alaphilippe to attack when just arrived to last climb?

Looks like he is in great shape.

I'd like to see him do well in Il Lombardia. The ascend+descend of the Civiglio climb is almost tailor-made for him. I could see him doing "a Nibali".

The other in-shape riders can be dropped uphill (Moscon) and downhill (Woods). Dumoulin and Valverde must be so tired that he is almost the favorite.

Re:

movingtarget said:
How long before Bardet knocks off that big win ? He is racking up some podiums.
Only 7 pro wins, 4 at WT level (3 TdF stages one Dauphine stage), that's light. But many times in the mix, and some big results like Strade and today in '18. Can he break the ceiling and turn these 2 or 3 into wins? I think so.

Re:

movingtarget said:
How long before Bardet knocks off that big win ? He is racking up some podiums.

I think 2019 will be his breakthrough season. He stated he actually prefers the tactics of one day racing over the long term strategy of the grand tours. This in itself tells me that he is a well rounded racer with a strong tactical sense, able to make decisions on the fly. His big win is coming.

I too wonder which Frenchman will deliver more. Both exciting riders but have always been lacking that something:

Pinot = has the explosivity to drop people on climbs and win reduced sprints but always has a jour sans over 3 weeks.

Bardet = very consistent over 3 weeks but doesn't have the explosivity to drop people on climbs

A mix of both riders' talents with Pinot's TT form of 2016 would be a real threat.

Re:

Alexandre B. said:
Romain will race Paris-Nice next year and wants to do the Giro. (L’Équipe)
Not just Giro, Giro Tour which is a big mistake IMO. He is very consistent in one GT/yr namely the TDF. But if he tries to save himself for the tour in the giro as its his prime target, he will reach the TDF third week empty and will not achieve anything in either GTs. More suited to him would be Classics, Tour, Lombardia. He has the ability to win a monument as long he does not try to sprint with the like of Valverde, Alaphilippe.

Re: Re:

tobydawq said:
Red Rick said:
I wish Bardet would do Giro/Vuelta/fall classics as main targets. He's not great in the spring stage races, and his prospects for LBL aren't enough to warrant a peak IMO. Could still ride it before the Giro.

Podium in Strade and Liege this year = not warranting a peak?
Didn't come close to winning LBL. Can still easily ride Strade at a decent level, nobody truly peaks for that race.

I don't think that the '19 Giro suits him well, but the TdF does if AG2R can produce a solid TTT. Doing both is stupidity, but I can imagine that Bardet skips Le Tour due to not having recovered...and then goes for a Vuelta that should be more catering to his skills. Now that Pinot has committed for the TdF, Romain can play that game and not face a PR issue. The French will still have a GC iron in the fire.

Romain Bardet saw Thibaut Pinot very close to basically getting two GT podiums in'18, it opened new horizons, and I would guess created or reinforced the desire to explore, ride free...ASO recognizes that, they're scared to death that none of the two will show up in July. So put a stage in Brioude on THE holiday and a PDBF on steroids that Pinot will have scouted more than anybody else. For good measure.

Both Pinot and Bardet are being tricked, taken hostages by ASO. Like the design or not, but this '19 Tour was also made to corner them by appealing to their local fan bases, add pressure to participate. ASO is afraid, but also ruthless; put their fan base between Bardet, Pinot, and what they see as their best interest. The sponsors will do the rest.

Not personal...business.

TRENDING THREADS