• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Roman Kreuziger Discussion Thread

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
SafeBet said:
And the favorite to take the overall at this point. Well done.

I think that Costa is favorite,he won it last year and he is better TTer.Kreuziger should do something similiar(like today) on Albulapass,today great performace of course!

ILovecycling said:
I think that Costa is favorite,he won it last year and he is better TTer.Kreuziger should do something similiar(like today) on Albulapass,today great performace of course!

Costa hasn't looked super strong on either climbs though (yesterday and today). He will probably gets better as the race progresses, but Roman has a good chance to take the GC.

SafeBet said:
Costa hasn't looked super strong on either climbs though (yesterday and today). He will probably gets better as the race progresses, but Roman has a good chance to take the GC.

Indeed, Costa isn't on the same shape he was last year because this year he is aiming more at the Tour while last year he was at his peak in Suisse.

I think Kreuziguer, even if he loses some time on the itt, is the main favourite.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
ILovecycling said:
Costa lost time yesterday and today he hanged at the back on climb. And in prologue he made only 4 seconds on Kreuziger. ITT si half MTT in fact where Kreuziger is very strong too. And they both should get better towards the end. They both are peaking for TdF. Frank is in the game and I wouldn't completely count of Pinot, Martin. TJVG and Peraud marginally in case of brilliant ITT. Spilak if there's fog, rain and cold during last two days :)

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
ILovecycling said:

he got one big mountain to go. If he can put time to costa, should help him in ITT. As I recall, Roman wasn't bad with ITT. Didn't he won hilly ITT in the Giro 2008 or something?

Jelantik said:
he got one big mountain to go. If he can put time to costa, should help him in ITT. As I recall, Roman wasn't bad with ITT. Didn't he won hilly ITT in the Giro 2008 or something?

Kreuziger won the TdS itt in 08 but since 2010 he has been going downhill on the time trials, particularly the longer ones.

Costa has been constantly beating him at those since 2011. But i think Kreuziger can easily put time into Costa on the La Punt stage.

Parrulo said:
Kreuziger won the TdS itt in 08 but since 2010 he has been going downhill on the time trials, particularly the longer ones.

Costa has been constantly beating him at those since 2011. But i think Kreuziger can easily put time into Costa on the La Punt stage.
Yeah. Rui isn't a climber. Even last year in great shape he suffered on the big cols. Obviously there isn't Frank Schleck, Nieve or Gesink but there are good enough climbers to hurt him. Also, no Valverde to pace him this time around.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Parrulo said:

That's right, last ITT where Kreuziger beated Costa was TdS 2012 prologur. It should be toldd that they had very different goals last three years. Kreuziger rode very good TTs at Giro 2011 - both ITT and MTT. But that's quite some time.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
I don't understand why is he pushing so big gears on the climb. Yesterday when there were like 30 people in the group on last climb, you wouldn't find one pushing bigger gear. It just doesn't seem right to me.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Kokoso said:
I don't understand why is he pushing so big gears on the climb. Yesterday when there were like 30 people in the group on last climb, you wouldn't find one pushing bigger gear. It just doesn't seem right to me.

If you dont have lungs AKA VO2max to spin it, you have to depend on your muscles and pedal at slower RPM. Unfortunately this is not sustainable for extended period of time so thats the reason he got dropped ...

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Jancouver said:
If you dont have lungs AKA VO2max to spin it, you have to depend on your muscles and pedal at slower RPM. Unfortunately this is not sustainable for extended period of time so thats the reason he got dropped ...
Thank you.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Jancouver said:

Like Big Mic...I wouldn't mind if that's the case ;)

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Jancouver said:

Andy Schleck or Valverde of the current riders pedal at low RPMs aswell.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
"Rolf Sørensen rode with the motor cycles yesterday during the TTT, and were following Omega and Saxo most of the way, he said Kreuziger was the biggest engine and took some huge leads where he matched Tony Martins top speed with 65 kmt on the long stretch."

After TTT. Great.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Kokoso said:
"Rolf Sørensen rode with the motor cycles yesterday during the TTT, and were following Omega and Saxo most of the way, he said Kreuziger was the biggest engine and took some huge leads where he matched Tony Martins top speed with 65 kmt on the long stretch."

After TTT. Great.

we will see tomorrow if he has something in his legs;)

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Kokoso said:

After TTT. Great.

My own observation of Roman this year is that he gain some power but the extra power was gained from some extra weight he is probably carrying right now.

Similar to Andy Xleck, as they are getting older, their bodies are changing and they both gained some weight.

.... therefore they may be stronger on flats and medium hills, but they will lose time once it gets steeper.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Jancouver said:
My own observation of Roman this year is that he gain some power but the extra power was gained from some extra weight he is probably carrying right now.

Similar to Andy Xleck, as they are getting older, their bodies are changing and they both gained some weight.

.... therefore they may be stronger on flats and medium hills, but they will lose time once it gets steeper.

This doesn't make sense. First he in fact got worse in prologues, where you really nead a power, compared to Liqugas years. I'm observing pretty much the opposite - that he's getting leaner and leaner since 2010. Myabe this year its the same same compared to the last year, but I know quite a few people who say that he seems leaner than ever. So basically - one big no here.

Liquigas said:
A shame he wasn't allowed to ride his own race today, I think he has the best legs of his career right now.

That may indeed be the case. No way he's challenging for yellow, but maybe a podium place would be possible? He looked good today, while Contador was just suffering, and working just to hold Roman's wheel.

TRENDING THREADS