• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Roman Kreuziger Discussion Thread

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Kreuziger will crack in the third week, or even before. He always does.

Kreuziger cracked once in his GT career, at Giau. Did anyone expect him to be on level of I dare say Valverde today? Not very likely. So he can surprise in terms of recovery too.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Today he was clearly better than Alberto, tomorrow it can be the other way round. It's shame that he couldn't get his own chance today, but it's understandable regarding Alberto as a leader. Only Alberto could tell him to go, but that didn't happen ofc. God knows what place he could achieve today. Maybe even second place wasn't impossible, probably not, but. To me he seemed very easy pulling Alberto, pedaling on quite high rate and his face didn't show any signs of suffering at all. Compare to what faces he pulled at TdS at Albula Pass or final MTT.

oldcrank said:
Of course this was only one stage and there are two weeks
remaining, but if Roman truly is stronger will Alberto consent
to riding in a supporting role?

An interesting question. I think the team still believes Alberto is potentially the better rider - And I think the resources will be there behind him for this tour.

Contador didn't crack like some others today - BMC in particular are done now. I think if say tommorow Contador loses Kreuziger's wheel they won't wait for him. Contador is still the protected rider, but Kreuziger will also be somewhat protected now.

Kokoso said:
That's pure nonsense, based on nothing. I don't get haters like you.
It's based on every GT he's done. He can't keep this level for multiple mountain stages. I even said it in the Tour de Suisse, and lo and behold: he didn't.

I don't see how seeing this pattern constitutes being a hater. I actually think he did surprisingly well today, the last time on this climb... he cracked ;)

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
theyoungest said:
It's based on every GT he's done. He can't keep this level for multiple mountain stages. I even said it in the Tour de Suisse, and lo and behold: he didn't.

I don't see how seeing this pattern constitutes being a hater. I actually think he did surprisingly well today, the last time on this climb... he cracked ;)

Actually you've said something different fisrt time, now you're changing your original words. Mess. Figure out what you want to say first.
And last time he trully sort of cracked, but it's good not to forget that he was ill that Tour, what can affect your performance, see? And he still lost three minutes there what isn't most terrible cracking. And above all, that wasn't stage after multiple mountain stages ;) In Giro 2011 he kept his level pretty well, did you forget? And he went pretty well up Mt. Ventoux in 20th stage in Tour 2009, actually it was his bet mountatin perormance that Tour and it came in third week obviously.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
IMO Kreuziger ha some mental problems and doesnt handle pressure well so this time around riding in support of Bert the pressure is off and he is doing (so far) OK. The day he will be put under pressure and asked to deliver, he will crack. Top 10 is doable but it will be hard as I believe, as others do, that he will have a day where he will lose some major time.

I just hope that I was wrong and he would get some great result here but I just dont see it.

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
The common sense says Kreuziger must be managed as a protected rider like Alberto.

I agree is too early to form a judgment for one stage, but Roman's season has been better. Contador perhaps have credit in recovery area and 3rd week performances but better having two cards than one.

Also Contador can't score points and everything that is not a GC victory contributes nothing to him.

If I were Bjarne Contador would be my agressive card and Roman my conservative card.

A shame for Kreuziger as he was obviously on a good day while his team leader was not. This scenario is not unusual in any race where the team leader is sometimes weaker than his domestique. Long way to go yet but if Kreuziger continues riding like this he may be able to rejuvenate his career as a possible team leader in future races.

Kokoso said:
Actually you've said something different fisrt time, now you're changing your original words. Mess. Figure out what you want to say first.
And last time he trully sort of cracked, but it's good not to forget that he was ill that Tour, what can affect your performance, see? And he still lost three minutes there what isn't most terrible cracking. And above all, that wasn't stage after multiple mountain stages ;) In Giro 2011 he kept his level pretty well, did you forget? And he went pretty well up Mt. Ventoux in 20th stage in Tour 2009, actually it was his bet mountatin perormance that Tour and it came in third week obviously.
My point is he can't handle multiple mountain stages at this level. That has always been my point, and I stand by it. Until he wins the Tour of course :p

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
theyoungest said:
My point is he can't handle multiple mountain stages at this level. That has always been my point, and I stand by it. Until he wins the Tour of course :p

No, it wasn't always your point, thus the confusion. I'll remind you your first words - "Kreuziger will crack in the third week, or even before. He always does."
Certainly you can see the obviuos difference in the statements. Figure out.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Kokoso said:
No, it wasn't always your point, thus the confusion. I'll remind you your first words - "Kreuziger will crack in the third week, or even before. He always does."
Certainly you can see the obviuos difference in the statements. Figure out.

Thats what he said,, just read the quote again. "Can't handle" & "will crack" so he did not change his opinion. You probably misread the "can't" part :eek:

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Jancouver said:
Thats what he said,, just read the quote again. "Can't handle" & "will crack" so he did not change his opinion. You probably misread the "can't" part :eek:

I don't think that there's quite a difference between "to crack" and "can't maintain his performance at yesterday's level" (and I don't think it alone as you can see above). For example Tejay cracked yesterday. But whatever.

Today another great performance taking care of again quite weaker Alberto. He could probably go with Fuglsang and Martin, but had to make a pace for Alberto, who I think was depleted after Quintana's attacks.

Kokoso said:
I don't think that there's quite a difference between "to crack" and "can't maintain his performance at yesterday's level" (and I don't think it alone as you can see above). For example Tejay cracked yesterday. But whatever.

Today another great performance taking care of again quite weaker Alberto. He could probably go with Fuglsang and Martin, but had to make a pace for Alberto, who I think was depleted after Quintana's attacks.

What? Do you have inside information? Alberto reacted to the attacks very easily.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Kokoso said:

Hey, I'm not bashing him. I'm just keeping it real. Roman is riding quite well and with some strong TT performance he can get on the podium in Paris ... unless he will crack on one of those stages in the Alps.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Jancouver said:
Hey, I'm not bashing him. I'm just keeping it real. Roman is riding quite well and with some strong TT performance he can get on the podium in Paris ... unless he will crack on one of those stages in the Alps.

With top ten I'd be satisfied if Alberto can get podium.

Yesterday Kreuziger told his father that first time he turned around on the las climb he found out, that they are only five riders remaining what was a bit of surprise to him because he didn't went full gas at the moment. Then when Froome attacked he had to pace Alberto so other riders went in from of them. His shape was ok.

LaFlorecita said:
What? Do you have inside information? Alberto reacted to the attacks very easily.

Alberto didn't react. Froome reacted and Alberto followed Froome. Quite a difference...

I couldn't quite determine Conti's level today. He did motion for Roman to take it to the front, but at other times did seem to hang with one shoulder - one of the things I seem to notice he does when he's getting tired (when both shoulders hang it's really bad!).

Roman looked great! Constantly looking over to Contador and being there for his captain. If he can keep it up he could really be the key to (hopeful) victory in Paris...

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Roman Kreuziger interview in czech newspapers:

You did a great job in both two Pyrenees days, were you praised for that?
I'm here to work for Alberto, I have no idea why I should or shouldn't be praised. We're here as a team and we did a team work.

What was the mood yesterday evening?
normall, very relaxed. Alberto had a bad day but that could happen to anyone. Maybe it was his last bad day this Tour and he'll be only better from now on. There are still two weeks to Paris and we must build every day.

Aren't you sorry you can't fight for yellow jersey yourself?
Absolutely not. I'm on Tour for Alberto.

But anyway - you look very relaxed when climbing.
it maybe seems like that on TV. Once more gaain: nothing has changed, Alberto is our leader, today he was far better and the next week in Alps everything will be completely different.

Are Alps worse than Pyrenees this year? (WHAT A DUMB QUESTION! btw.)
mainly there are mountains every day.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:

Inside information about what? No, I don't have any inside information. I just watched TV. As another said, Froome chased down attacks and the rest kind of followed him. When Roman take turn in front, Alberto looked in trouble and called him off probably. When Roman took turn on the flat part to the finish, you could see Alberto falling down the group. Kreuziger was good in riding high stable pace.

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Kreuziger (and Costa) did something good forming a big break before Peyresourde but both (and us) were betrayed by Valverde and Unzue.

My feeling is Saxo will have to ride for Roman in the 3rd week.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
today reminds me of contador's 2009 paris-nice, when he lost the yellow jersey. He responded to everyone's attack and finally he cracked himself out. *I remember Lance's twitted about it*. What we saw today, Froome kept answering quintana's attacks and when roman is finally being unleashed, he'll be doing the same thing. He is higher up on GC. Too bad, contador wasn't in a good form. He probably took advantage of that *or maybe not* like 2011 TDF stage to Gap. *seems like his kinds of thing.

what if in the last week, quintana/kreuziger attack and attack and Froome keeps responding *seem froome concerns about Quintana*, then immediately another attack comes berto, purito, valverde, and andy too? boy, I guess, paris is still a long way. And the fat french lady is still busy having manicure now. So no singing yet :D

Btw, just heard, kiryenka finished outside time limit?? Porte crashed and burned from the 2nd spot. *that should wipe his smug now*. Boy, sky came out with bloody nose today by the look of it. Movistar is the superstar and Garmin is the hero today. Saxo? TBD :D

Kokoso said:
Inside information about what? No, I don't have any inside information. I just watched TV. As another said, Froome chased down attacks and the rest kind of followed him. When Roman take turn in front, Alberto looked in trouble and called him off probably. When Roman took turn on the flat part to the finish, you could see Alberto falling down the group. Kreuziger was good in riding high stable pace.

That's not what I saw. I get that you're gutted Roman has to ride for Alberto but hey it was his own choice.