• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Roman Kreuziger Discussion Thread

Page 25 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
...and to think there was a time when he and Nibali were on par with one another. Even with Kreuziger saying that he didn't think Nibali had the "engine" to be a grand tour winner. He seems to (or teams have) have resigned himself to be a super domestique for the grand tours (while chasing wins in week long stage races) where before he was seen as a potential grand tour podium finisher. What happened?

Re: Re:

dirkprovin said:
yaco said:
Kokoso said:
Kokoso said:
yaco said:
Its a case of Kreuziger probably feeling too comfortable in his role at Orica. He wanted to join the team and is extremely happy at the team. He enjoys the atmosphere in the team finding it less pressured than his previous teams. Which could be the reason for his under performance. In saying that he has been an invaluable aid for the younger riders. Expect he will ride a better Vuelta.

Altitude training. My understanding is Kreuziger, Hayman and Durbridge didnt attend one of the pre TDF altitude camp. Durbridge was coming back from injury so his situation was understandable. Fact is only Yates and Keukeliere performed well at the TDF while the rest were undetwhelmong.
So according to you it's probably a case of feeling too good at Orica and has nothing to do with no altitude camp preparation. Interesting.

Aren't more convenient words "team didn't take Kreuziger, Hayman and Durbridge for altitude camp" rather than "Kreuziger, Hayman and Durbridge didnt attend one of the pre TDF altitude camp".

Where dou you get these information's about he feels at Orica etc. from?

Regarding Keukeleire, he didn't show anything significant so his form at Tour is a question. At the stage where Albasini worked for him Boasson Hagen was much better than Keukeleire, so...it doesn't look he was very good.
No answer? Why?
Forgot question mark - aren't more convenient words "team didn't take Kreuziger, Hayman and Durbridge for altitude camp" rather than "Kreuziger, Hayman and Durbridge didnt attend one of the pre TDF altitude camp"?

Why do you think Kreuziger underperorming has probably to do wh him feeling comfortable there and ot with no altitude camp before the Tour? (actually you avoided cometing on altitude camp at all) Do you think rest of the team underperforming is probably because of them feeling comfortable with the team, too? Where dou you get these information's about he feels at Orica etc. from?
Thank you for answers.

Kreuziger is happy at Orica, but it doesn't change the fact he has under-performed so far this year - I pointed out in this thread and in the Orica thread, the team as a whole, under-performed in the TDF, except for Yates and Keukeliere - My understanding is there were two specific altitude camps for the TDF and Kreuziger, Hayman and Albasini weren't at one of these camps - The reason why ? I have no idea - I also believed Keukeliere missed one of the camps because he preferred to race.

I'd take a middle line between your viewpoints. My view is that he has rode well this without being exceptional. How much of this has been his form and how much of this has been him riding in support roles rather than having opportunities of his own. With regards to the latter, perhaps he could've been given a chance to ride for himself at at least one Ardennes race but that's been and gone. Maybe he could be given an opportunity at Bretagne or the two Laurentian races ?

Orica has no clearly defined leader for the Canadian races - A GC rider can be competitive depending on how the race is run.

Re:

dirkprovin said:
Was just putting forward a proposition that he hasn't really had any real openings to ride for himself. The races I highlighted could be opportunities to be given that licence. I could however be very wrong

It's a likely scenario seeing the gc riders will be at the Vuelta - A.Yates was 2nd in one of the Canadian races in 2015.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Angliru said:
...and to think there was a time when he and Nibali were on par with one another. Even with Kreuziger saying that he didn't think Nibali had the "engine" to be a grand tour winner. He seems to (or teams have) have resigned himself to be a super domestique for the grand tours (while chasing wins in week long stage races) where before he was seen as a potential grand tour podium finisher. What happened?
Lol about Nibali's engine, he was always a great TT rider, 3rd places at the ITT WC as a junior and U23 rider, when he was younger him having a bad day in the mountains and the crazy high climbing level in some gts was his main problem. I don't know what happened to Kreuziger, maybe he just peaked early like many (former) eastern bloc riders before him.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Angliru said:
...and to think there was a time when he and Nibali were on par with one another.
Nibali was always better, maybe except for first year.
Even with Kreuziger saying that he didn't think Nibali had the "engine" to be a grand tour winner.
Always someone pulls out this ooooooooooold story. Don't understand why. This is Kreuziger thread and you are talking more or less about Nibali. Petty, bad Angliru.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site

yaco said:
Kokoso said:
Kokoso said:
yaco said:
Its a case of Kreuziger probably feeling too comfortable in his role at Orica. He wanted to join the team and is extremely happy at the team. He enjoys the atmosphere in the team finding it less pressured than his previous teams. Which could be the reason for his under performance. In saying that he has been an invaluable aid for the younger riders. Expect he will ride a better Vuelta.

Altitude training. My understanding is Kreuziger, Hayman and Durbridge didnt attend one of the pre TDF altitude camp. Durbridge was coming back from injury so his situation was understandable. Fact is only Yates and Keukeliere performed well at the TDF while the rest were undetwhelmong.
So according to you it's probably a case of feeling too good at Orica and has nothing to do with no altitude camp preparation. Interesting.

Aren't more convenient words "team didn't take Kreuziger, Hayman and Durbridge for altitude camp" rather than "Kreuziger, Hayman and Durbridge didnt attend one of the pre TDF altitude camp".

Regarding Keukeleire, he didn't show anything significant so his form at Tour is a question. At the stage where Albasini worked for him Boasson Hagen was much better than Keukeleire, so...it doesn't look he was very good.
No answer? Why?
Forgot question mark - aren't more convenient words "team didn't take Kreuziger, Hayman and Durbridge for altitude camp" rather than "Kreuziger, Hayman and Durbridge didnt attend one of the pre TDF altitude camp"?

Why do you think Kreuziger underperorming has probably to do wh him feeling comfortable there and ot with no altitude camp before the Tour? (actually you avoided cometing on altitude camp at all) Do you think rest of the team underperforming is probably because of them feeling comfortable with the team, too? Where dou you get these information's about he feels at Orica etc. from?
Thank you for answers.

Kreuziger is happy at Orica, but it doesn't change the fact he has under-performed so far this year - I pointed out in this thread and in the Orica thread, the team as a whole, under-performed in the TDF, except for Yates and Keukeliere - My understanding is there were two specific altitude camps for the TDF and Kreuziger, Hayman and Albasini weren't at one of these camps - The reason why ? I have no idea - I also believed Keukeliere missed one of the camps because he preferred to race.
Well, there were four questions and you've avoided to answer single one. It looks you did not understand the questions right, because you've just repeated what you've siad previously plus addded some non-related sauce.

So, I am asking again: aren't more convenient words "team didn't take Kreuziger, Hayman and Durbridge for altitude camp" rather than "Kreuziger, Hayman and Durbridge didnt attend one of the pre TDF altitude camp"?

Thank you for answers.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site

dirkprovin said:
yaco said:
Kokoso said:
Kokoso said:
yaco said:

No answer? Why?

Thank you for answers.

I'd take a middle line between your viewpoints. My view is that he has rode well this without being exceptional. How much of this has been his form and how much of this has been him riding in support roles rather than having opportunities of his own. With regards to the latter, perhaps he could've been given a chance to ride for himself at at least one Ardennes race but that's been and gone. Maybe he could be given an opportunity at Bretagne or the two Laurentian races ?
You aren't taking any middle line, though. This is your opinion. Anyhow, what do you think?

Do you think Kreuziger underperforming at the Tour has to do with no altitude camp before the Tour? Are more convenient words "team didn't take Kreuziger, Hayman and Durbridge for altitude camp" or "Kreuziger, Hayman and Durbridge didnt attend one of the pre TDF altitude camp"? Thank you for answer.

aren't more convenient words "team didn't take Kreuziger, Hayman and Durbridge for altitude camp" rather than "Kreuziger, Hayman and Durbridge didnt attend one of the pre TDF altitude camp"?

Kokoso said:
yaco said:
Kokoso said:
Kokoso said:
yaco said:

No answer? Why?

Thank you for answers.

Well, there were four questions and you've avoided to answer single one. It looks you did not understand the questions right, because you've just repeated what you've siad previously plus addded some non-related sauce.

So, I am asking again: aren't more convenient words "team didn't take Kreuziger, Hayman and Durbridge for altitude camp" rather than "Kreuziger, Hayman and Durbridge didnt attend one of the pre TDF altitude camp"?

Thank you for answers.

Think you are wasting time by quibbling over words - Fact is Kreuziger, Durbridge and Hayman trained in Andorra while the rest of the team ( excluding Keukeliere) did specific altitude training - Why this happened I have no idea - But I know riders train all over Europe and outside Europe at different times of the year - No riders have the same program - AFAIK Kreuziger is happy at Orica - Please inform us if you know otherwise.

Chaves was never going to perform at the TDF - No racing for 4 months with around 2 months off the bike - You may have noticed that he finished with the bunch in every flat stage, and could only get up one mountain, before he was done - I suspect he was riding to wattages - Chaves is a funny rider in that he suddenly hits his peak, but in the preceding month or two he struggles in races. So I have no idea how he'll perform at the Vuelta.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Seems like you guys are forgetting that Roman is a seriously ill person that needs thyroid meds just to function as a normal person, therefore, IMHO, his TdF performance was very good and nobody should expect any future top results from him only due to his severe medical condition. :cool:

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site

yaco said:
Kokoso said:
yaco said:
Kokoso said:
Kokoso said:

No answer? Why?

Thank you for answers.

Thank you for answers.

Think you are wasting time by quibbling over words - Fact is Kreuziger, Durbridge and Hayman trained in Andorra while the rest of the team ( excluding Keukeliere) did specific altitude training - Why this happened I have no idea - But I know riders train all over Europe and outside Europe at different times of the year - No riders have the same program - AFAIK Kreuziger is happy at Orica - Please inform us if you know otherwise.

Chaves was never going to perform at the TDF - No racing for 4 months with around 2 months off the bike - You may have noticed that he finished with the bunch in every flat stage, and could only get up one mountain, before he was done - I suspect he was riding to wattages - Chaves is a funny rider in that he suddenly hits his peak, but in the preceding month or two he struggles in races. So I have no idea how he'll perform at the Vuelta.
Now you've really annoyed me. You are the one quibbling over the words, avoiding to answer simple questions. And top of that you try to manipulate me to believe I'm quibbling over the words. What a moronic behavior... I don't expect you to acknowledge that though. Basically by avoiding to answer those questions you gave your answers - as well as me you acknowledge that no altitude camp can be reason of underperforming more and that it can be Orica made mistake by not taking Kreuziger to altitude camp.

So your reasoning is that Kreuziger is happy at Orica is based on that no one knows otherwise. That doesn't prove anyth though. You could as well say Kreuziger is unhappy at Orica because no one knows otherwise. We don't know whether he is, or isn't happy at Orica.

Kokoso said:
Angliru said:
...and to think there was a time when he and Nibali were on par with one another.
Even with Kreuziger saying that he didn't think Nibali had the "engine" to be a grand tour winner.
Always someone pulls out this ooooooooooold story. Don't understand why. This is Kreuziger thread and you are talking more or less about Nibali. Petty, bad Angliru.

If he said it to the media he's going to be quoted on occasion. Overly sensitive individuals need to just accept it and not whine about it. I asked a question that you could have chosen to answer but instead decided to mak an issue with a quote the obviously hits a nerve. He and Nibali are eternally connected whether you like it or not.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site

Kokoso said:
dirkprovin said:
yaco said:
Kokoso said:
Kokoso said:

No answer? Why?

Thank you for answers.

You aren't taking any middle line, though. This is your opinion. Anyhow, what do you think?

Do you think Kreuziger underperforming at the Tour has to do with no altitude camp before the Tour? Are more convenient words "team didn't take Kreuziger, Hayman and Durbridge for altitude camp" or "Kreuziger, Hayman and Durbridge didnt attend one of the pre TDF altitude camp"? Thank you for answer.

aren't more convenient words "team didn't take Kreuziger, Hayman and Durbridge for altitude camp" rather than "Kreuziger, Hayman and Durbridge didnt attend one of the pre TDF altitude camp"?
You too are avoiding answers, same as yaco?

So I'm asking some unpleasant questions for you guys. Shame you don't have the balls to answer.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Angliru said:
Kokoso said:
Angliru said:

If he said it to the media he's going to be quoted on occasion. Overly sensitive individuals need to just accept it and not whine about it.
Well, you've felt the urge to pull out this oooold thing when talk wasn't even about Nibali. That makes you "overly sensitive individual", at least by your standards. And, ff my reaction is whining to you, your words certainly must be whining for you, but hardly you'll admit that :) Yeap, it hits my nerve when people are dragging to ongoing discussion topic absolutely unrelated to it, on top of that several years old, on top of that topic related more to the rider thread is not about and on top of that even wrongly quoted (yep, you have it wrong). I have hunch that this would hit your nerves too.

I asked a question that you could have chosen to answer but instead decided to mak an issue with a quote the obviously hits a nerve.
There was an ongoing discussion about what's wrong with Kreuziger. If you mind read it, you'd know that I don't the answer. Have you even read the discussion before asking? Thas was ignorant question, Angliru.
He and Nibali are eternally connected whether you like it or not.
Don't know how you mean it by as you wish, I have no problem with this.

For your general edification, my comment was primarily a response to Yaco's opening line "Kreuziger is happy at Orica, but it doesn't change the fact he has under-performed so far this year" rather that the TDF specific elements of his comment. My comment referred to his season in general, not the TDF specifically. Yaco (the person to whom I was specifically replying) certainly seemed to have understood the context of my comment. For whatever reason(s), you have chosen not to do so

Whilst I cannot, and will not, deign to answer on Yaco's part; I can most assuredly confirm that my decision not to respond to you was in no way due to any lack of testicular fortitude on my part ...... but rather that I really could not be bothered engaging civilly with someone who has repeatedly proven themselves either incapable or unwilling to conduct themselves with any semblance of civility.

That is all that I have to say and will say to you. Please rest assured that I shall refrain from any further comments or posting on this thread.

Anyway Kreuziger is currently at Livigno alongside Kwiatkovski and Stybar - It will be interesting to see the rest of his calendar - Could it be Pro Oztaler, Canadian races, Tour of Britain - Orica riders are all over Europe either training or racing - Don't think anyone has missed an altitude camp.

Kreuziger made sure he had a better off-season and requested more races early in the season - He's actually been in good form all season, bar a bad day in the last stage of PN - For me it was a minor surprise he got a podium at AG - I was confident he could make the final selection and he's definitely in form - Can't see him having any chance in Fleche Wallone,while he has some chance in LBL - Holds his form and he will be vital in the GT's.

Re:

yaco said:
Kreuziger made sure he had a better off-season and requested more races early in the season - He's actually been in good form all season, bar a bad day in the last stage of PN - For me it was a minor surprise he got a podium at AG - I was confident he could make the final selection and he's definitely in form - Can't see him having any chance in Fleche Wallone,while he has some chance in LBL - Holds his form and he will be vital in the GT's.

I'm surprised he is riding the Fleche. Not a race for him.

4th on the hill that does not suit him at all. Certainly very dangerous for Liege. If he gets into a break with right people (who sprint even worse than him), then he can take it. Shame that he was not on podium today as he could get podium in all three ardennes classics.

Re:

rehy90 said:
4th on the hill that does not suit him at all. Certainly very dangerous for Liege. If he gets into a break with right people (who sprint even worse than him), then he can take it. Shame that he was not on podium today as he could get podium in all three ardennes classics.

I honestly only think Valverde will be stronger than him on Sunday and maybe Wellens. Think a odium should be possible.

TRENDING THREADS