• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Ronde van Vlaanderen: April 7th, 2019

Page 28 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win the 2019 Ronde van Vlaanderen?

• Alexander Kristoff

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • Bob Jungels

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • Greg Van Avermaet

Votes: 14 10.9%
  • Niki Terpstra

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Oliver Naesen

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • Peter Sagan

Votes: 19 14.8%
  • Philippe Gilbert

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Wout van Aert

Votes: 22 17.2%
  • Zdeněk Štybar

Votes: 35 27.3%
  • Other

Votes: 18 14.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
26 Big Photos from Tour of Flanders 2019 (more to come) — corvos
http://www.steephill.tv/2019/tour-of-flanders/photos/page-02/

030-CORVOS_00030862-057.jpg

270-CORVOS_00030862-140.jpg

Problem with the this years race was that there were 10-15 favs including sprinters like Kristoff, Degenkolb, Sagan and Mathews, A group of 4-6 favs would have chased Bettiol down. Last year nobody wanted to bring Sagan to the finish but Terpstra was still the strongest.
For PR as well this may turn out to be same, a reduced group sprint or some body unexpected taking advantage. Unless the Hardmen like GVA actually drop the sprinters, it may turn out that way

Re:

IndianCyclist said:
Problem with the this years race was that there were 10-15 favs including sprinters like Kristoff, Degenkolb, Sagan and Mathews, A group of 4-6 favs would have chased Bettiol down. Last year nobody wanted to bring Sagan to the finish but Terpstra was still the strongest.
For PR as well this may turn out to be same, a reduced group sprint or some body unexpected taking advantage. Unless the Hardmen like GVA actually drop the sprinters, it may turn out that way
The "problem" was that not one of the biggest favorites were able to follow Bettiol on Kwaremont. Van Avermaet, Van Aert and Stybar didn't have a top day, and Van der Poel spent too much energy on accidents and poor positioning. If two of those guys had been in peak shape, they could have come clear of the peloton and caugt up with Bettiol.

Great win by Bettiol, and he was probably the strongest rider today. But he was a bit lucky that the trio that beat him in E3 wasn't that sharp today.

Congrats to Bettiol.
He was strong and determined, pulled the move perfectly and materialized his team's work.
Van der Poel probably was the strongest, but not the most careful and it cost him
Great showing from Valverde. Sagan still catching up the top form, and Van Avermaet didn't have that extra bit to make the winning move or bridge to Bettiol.
One of those editions when the tactical racing presents a chance for someone from the second echelon.

Re:

gunara said:
Great job, Bettiol!
To say the chasers are stupid is assuming you wouldn't do that if you're in the situation, well...what would you do?
Working together can result in a win, why not give it a try? Worst that can happen is you help someone else win! If you don't win, at least you contributed to a race!

Re: Re:

AQETUYIOI said:
gunara said:
Great job, Bettiol!
To say the chasers are stupid is assuming you wouldn't do that if you're in the situation, well...what would you do?
Working together can result in a win, why not give it a try? Worst that can happen is you help someone else win! If you don't win, at least you contributed to a race!
Yes, but the others refuse to work. Would you ride 13 km with Kristoff and co. in your wheel?

Gigs_98 said:
On another note, am I the only one who thinks the kwaremont was ridden really weirdly today? Usually on that climb the strongest rider goes to the front early and just rides rider after rider off his wheel with a huge but steady pace and at the end riders are all over the road. Today it seemed like the first half was almost softpedalled and with the exception of Bettiol who did a really explosive attack the group that came out on top was almost identical to the one entering the climb. It looked like some riders were holding something back, something you usually never see on that climb. I'd really like to see a comparison of the climbing times from today and previous editions.
If it was a head wind towards the finish, they thought trying, would be futile.

MADRAZO said:
alspacka said:
Mavic said:
OlavEH said:
Disappointing race by Van Aert and Van Avermaet. Very disappointing by Stybar.

And after today's race. Who are the favorites for PR? Most open PR in many years?

Too bad van der Poel is skipping it.

Assuming no injuries, he should definitely reconsider.

His team is not invited

Ah, that'll do it. Shame.

Re:

Pantani_lives said:
Congratulations to the eighteen people who voted "other". I'm sure you all had Bettiol in mind. :cool:

I'm one of those. Didn't exactly have Bettiol in mind. Just liked the idea of taking the entire field over the list of favorites. My thought was if a non favorite was able to get away and the favorites in a group looked at each other the one who got away would have a good chance to win.

Man of my word. Woman of my word. Point is; I'm gonna do this.
Though, if someone had told me the Dane in the top-5 would be Asgreen I probably would have laughed quite intensely! I mean… I kinda made that bet because non of the "expected Danes" had been doing very well…

RedheadDane said:
Jungle Cycle said:
RedheadDane said:
Broccolidwarf said:
Where is the Cykel Cille (Uttrup) interview please? - It is probably crazy :D

Here you go!

i have no idea what she said but sounded awesome !!!
top 10 all time...

There's an English-language interview too - on the RvV Twitter account - unfortunately I don't know how to link from Twitter...

Here, an interview in English:
https://twitter.com/RondeVlaanderen/status/1114898860869074945

RedheadDane said:
Pantani_lives said:
By the way... There's a Dane in the top 5. Wasn't there a bet? :D

Shhh... Don't worry. I'm gonna do it! I'm a man of my words, even though I am - in fact - a woman.

I think you should do Ringvejen from south to north if a Dane podiums next Sunday.

Ringgaden isn't even a punishment, that's just a standard commute route for people who study at the university!