• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Ronde van Vlaanderen: April 7th, 2019

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win the 2019 Ronde van Vlaanderen?

• Alexander Kristoff

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • Bob Jungels

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • Greg Van Avermaet

Votes: 14 10.9%
  • Niki Terpstra

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Oliver Naesen

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • Peter Sagan

Votes: 19 14.8%
  • Philippe Gilbert

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Wout van Aert

Votes: 22 17.2%
  • Zdeněk Štybar

Votes: 35 27.3%
  • Other

Votes: 18 14.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re:

It is hard to tell where Sagan is...

Last year "bad" in E3.

Then won GW.

Not at his best in Flanders.

Then won PR with a solo attack. Looking super strong.

This year bad luck in E3 with the gears and then was in a long break in GW. So who knows where he is really at.

Re: Re:

Salvarani said:
It is hard to tell where Sagan is...

Last year "bad" in E3.

Then won GW.

Not at his best in Flanders.

Then won PR with a solo attack. Looking super strong.

This year bad luck in E3 with the gears and then was in a long break in GW. So who knows where he is really at.

I feel like Sagan is almost flying under the radar for the first time in many years and it could help him. Many times in the past he's been hindered by everyone looking to him to chase down the attacks and I don't see that happening this time. It blows me away that there are three or four riders more favoured than him in the betting.

hard to say were Sagan stands, yeah. Pöstlberger said he is the favorite, and he may know a bit more about his shape, I guess.

But on the other hand, in the same (post Dwars door Vlaanderen) interview he also (basically) said that he was the strongest rider in the front group, so who knows what it's worth :D

Re:

search said:
hard to say were Sagan stands, yeah. Pöstlberger said he is the favorite, and he may know a bit more about his shape, I guess.

But on the other hand, in the same (post Dwars door Vlaanderen) interview he also (basically) said that he was the strongest rider in the front group, so who knows what it's worth :D

Didn't he say that it wasn't the strongest rider who won, and that he wouldn't say he himself had been the strongest? I thought it was implied that he thought Jungels had been the strongest.

Peter Sagan: "I want to be the first mustache to win the Ronde."

D3SNz3oW0AA7osu.jpg:large

tobydawq said:
search said:

Didn't he say that it wasn't the strongest rider who won, and that he wouldn't say he himself had been the strongest? I thought it was implied that he thought Jungels had been the strongest.
I thought he implied that he was the strongest himself, just a bit too tired in the end. But maybe I misunderstood.

Aug 16, 2015
Visit site
Ten days ago I was thinking that Sagan timed his spring-peak perfectly but I just watched the highlights of Gent-Wevelgem and seeing him suffer on the last Berg when Trentin accelerated is making me rethink that.

There are many contenders, but if I would have to put my money on someone it would definetly be Greg.

Re:

Cance > TheRest said:
Naesen and Stybar has impressed me the most in 2019, but I am sure that Greg that Never Met will meet up to the occasion and spoil the party. GVA is the most solid of the top favourites, and with Sagan below his best, GVA is the only rider we can absolutely trust to deliver a top result.

I hope you're right! I'll be rooting for GVA!

Yeah, would be nice to see GVA finally take a Rhonde.

Wouldn't mind seeing Bling win as well - he has a touch of the pre-Olympic year GVA's about him. i.e. always close to a big one day win, but never quite on the top step.

I reckon Naesen is the man most in form, but then I heard he got sick this week?

Re:

The Hegelian said:

Wouldn't mind seeing Bling win as well - he has a touch of the pre-Olympic year GVA's about him. i.e. always close to a big one day win, but never quite on the top step.

I reckon Naesen is the man most in form, but then I heard he got sick this week?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/blo...-down-with-illness-ahead-of-tour-of-flanders/
Naesen, who has finished on the podium in Milan-San Remo and Gent-Wevelgem in recent weeks, is suffering from bronchitis.

Naesen identified the chief suspect for his illness as the champagne on the podium at Gent-Wevelgem. He and winner Alexander Kristoff both sprayed bubbly in each other's faces during the post-race ceremony and Naesen believes that has contributed to the respiratory problem.

Champagne causes bronchitis? Mmm ...

Robert5091 said:
The Hegelian said:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/blo...-down-with-illness-ahead-of-tour-of-flanders/
Naesen, who has finished on the podium in Milan-San Remo and Gent-Wevelgem in recent weeks, is suffering from bronchitis.

Naesen identified the chief suspect for his illness as the champagne on the podium at Gent-Wevelgem. He and winner Alexander Kristoff both sprayed bubbly in each other's faces during the post-race ceremony and Naesen believes that has contributed to the respiratory problem.

Champagne causes bronchitis? Mmm ...

I heard the champagne was brought from Lidl, who obviously co-sponsor a certain team. :lol: