• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Ronde van Vlaanderen: October 18th, 2020

Page 30 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
On the road, yes, Wout had the better year. That said, there is absolutely no question at all as to who is the best overall bike racer in the world - that is MVDP hands down. There is no human alive that can do anything close to what he can do in Cross/Road/MTB.

We were talking about RR. So overall on the road Wout is better based on this year’s results, there’s no getting around that.

As far as overall on all types of surfaces than yes, based on the latest results Mathieu is the better rider.

However to be fair, Wout’s most recent CX performances have been affected by his choice to focus more on the road and the different preparation schedule that goes along with it. Than again, Mathieu proved last year that both CX and Road can be done at a high level. So there’s that.

As far as MTB is concerned, Mathieu is the more technical rider so MTB probably suits him more but we’ll never really know how Wout would fare in MTB until he actually tries it, so who knows really.

At the end of the day does all of this really matter? As long as they can give us races like last Sunday I couldn’t care less. All I know is that these two and their rivalry are a breath of fresh air in cycling and I can’t wait for next season.

Reactions: senna6541

TRENDING THREADS