• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Route and teams of the fifth Montepaschi-Strade Bianche announced

May 5, 2009
Visit site
May 28, 2010
Visit site
This race has been growing really well over the last few years, but to continue the growth, the organizer should make sure the best riders have the opportunity to ride it... Team selections like these will not help it continue to rise in the sport. I'd have thought that having the defending champion would have been enough to get Astana in at least.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
I feel like this must have been an error, 14 teams can't be right. Unless the organisers had some financial crisis or lost a sponsor and we didn't hear about it?

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
you guys don't understand this at all. this race is for italy and italian tv. they don't care for teams like sky or astana. they want just a small bunch of italian teams like back in the old days when races never had more than 12-14 teams.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
you guys don't understand this at all. this race is for italy and italian tv. they don't care for teams like sky or astana. they want just a small bunch of italian teams like back in the old days when races never had more than 12-14 teams.

Problem with this statement is that this particular never actually seen those old days, being on its just fourth installment.

Another problem is presence of Pozatto and Gasparotto (just two italians who could have targeted this race from the top of my head) in those non-italian teams.

rxgqgxnyfz said:
Problem with this statement is that this particular never actually seen those old days, being on its just fourth installment.

Another problem is presence of Pozatto and Gasparotto (just two italians who could have targeted this race from the top of my head) in those non-italian teams.

Pozzato? Please. The only things Pippo Pozzato targets are tattoo parlours and Tom Boonen's back wheel.

Ryo Hazuki said:

On the one hand I applaud the organisers for this, but on the other I think they're a bunch of idiots.

But surely inviting Sky would be beneficial for the Italian TV bit, seeing as Sky Italy are involved in theteam.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Doubt Cuddles will have the form as it will be his first race for the season.

hasn't stopped you from tipping him before :p
he will still be up there tho, I bet.

and yeah, 14 teams is not a bad thing... Oh no sky, astana, rabo etc don't get to race... blah. who cares.
If anything it will make the race less controlled, and thus attack galore.

what was Gilbert's stance on this race.. go, no go?

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
@ rxg. that doesn't have anything to do with this. they ride unpaved roads like before and just after the war. it's purely nostalgic race for italians. if you know italy wel you would understand how that country almost lives on nostalgia. it's purely heroic.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Roland Rat said:
On the one hand I applaud the organisers for this, but on the other I think they're a bunch of idiots.

But surely inviting Sky would be beneficial for the Italian TV bit, seeing as Sky Italy are involved in theteam.

that only matters to the sponsor, this race isn't broadcasted on sky so why would the organiser care??

it may seem racist but that's italy.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
that doesn't have anything to do with this. they ride unpaved roads like before and just after the war. it's purely nostalgic race for italians. if you know italy wel you would understand how that country almost lives on nostalgia. it's purely heroic.

I'm not questioning, nor suggesting i care about the reasoning about the team selection. Just pointing out it probably means better entertainment.

You might have been directing that comment to someone else tho, whatevz :cool:
edit; yep :D

oh yeah, and the real travesty would be if there is no live stream again.

Ryo Hazuki said:
that only matters to the sponsor, this race isn't broadcasted on sky so why would the organiser care??

it may seem racist but that's italy.

Because if it's broadcast on Sky the organiser can charge more to sponsor the race and in TV rights.

And I wanted to watch the last hour or so live! ;)

TRENDING THREADS