Roval CLX32 noise ?

Apr 22, 2017
A "creak" sound has started coming from ( I think) my rear wheel , a set I bought used last Spring. It's not constant, mainly under load & not in sync w/pedal stroke. More so under load climbing or 18-20 mph cruising.
I've heard of spoke-rub on the drive side as one possibility and hub wear as another. LBS not up for diagnosing, any feedback appreciated.

Apr 22, 2017
Couldn't detect any play but found an account on another forum of CLX 40's crossed-spokes ( ie drive side) rubbing one another due to poor spoke tension . Having truing & tension addressed, we'll see.
Meanwhile I've put my Hed Ardennes back on and all's quiet so I'm sure the "creaking" is coming from the rear wheel.

Thanks for the input

That's not a bad set of back up wheels!

If it doesn't solve it my next port of call would be getting the bearings out, taking the covers off and having a look. Might need re-greasing, if there's no play I doubt they need replacing.

Apr 22, 2017
With the wheel trued + tensioned, bearing checked, BB & headset bearings all OK I guess I have a "phantom noise"
I've swapped out wheels & pedals, re-set seatpost w/friction paste and put on new cleats. Checked saddle mount and the bottle cage screw/boss mounts. Quiet & smooth for the first 20 mi. then "creak" began to return - not constant , a few revolutions at a time. Shifting up or down interrupts noise but then it returns. Mostly quiet but from time-to- time it sneaks back.
Next step will be deraileurs… ugh

My favorite century is in 3 wks, hate to think of a day with it :mad:
Suggestions ??

Ceramic is apparently great as long as you make sure they're well maintained.

So the creaking has been isolated to the wheels which is good. If shifting interrupts it my next guess is the freehub. Any play there? If the Ardennes were fine then I think it's unlikely to be the derailleurs.

ASK THE COMMUNITY