• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

RR merger new name Rock Racing-Murcia ... UCI code RRM

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
A

Anonymous

Way to blame FLandis for your inability to obtain a license, Ball! Although I don't recall Team Ouch having that issue... It certainly wasn't your lack of $$, sponsors and instability that had anything to do with it.

I actually liked the original concept of an outlaw team but we all knew the party wouldn't last.

But keep living in your own little world Ball and have fun racing in the local Gran Fondo's!

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
See, if that was Brad said that there would be a whole thread devoted to it. :rolleyes:

To be honest, I don't think that is the case. The difference is that most of the cycling world had that opinion about Ball well before he became lord of the largest team of "reformed drug cheats" the world has ever seen.

Joking asside, I think Baden's point was quite valid and seems to be born out by press articles over the last year or so.

Jul 26, 2009
Visit site
mikeNphilly said:
Sad day for cycling in America, people really liked that team. Hopefully Ball gets his act together and has a team for 2011.

I don't like his blaming his intentions of signing Landis as the reason RR were not allowed a licence.

I just bought a new kit from them the other day....

sorry man just had jump in here for a minute.......dont know exactly where you mean when you say america, or whom these people are that liked that team.......ball is a tool......seen him around plenty.......have actually ridden in small groups with him present , spoken to him , and even though he was cordial that man is delusional .........best thing about his team was bahati , now he was and is kool...............and hey i hate to break this to you but we all and i mean WE ALL make fun of anyone wearing rock gear........oh and he also owes moneys to the kit manufacture'r , yeah there suing him also.....:D

A

Anonymous

mikeNphilly said:
Sad day for cycling in America, people really liked that team. .

I think the only people who liked the team where the people who had no idea of the stories behind ball and the various riders. People who have little clue about cycling but liked the romance of a bunch of rag tags standing up against the world..

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
lagartija said:
sorry man just had jump in here for a minute.......dont know exactly where you mean when you say america, or whom these people are that liked that team.......ball is a tool......seen him around plenty.......have actually ridden in small groups with him present , spoken to him , and even though he was cordial that man is delusional .........best thing about his team was bahati , now he was and is kool...............and hey i hate to break this to you but we all and i mean WE ALL make fun of anyone wearing rock gear........oh and he also owes moneys to the kit manufacture'r , yeah there suing him also.....:D

I meant mainly people that just show up to watch a race, everyday people, kids..people like that...they probably don't know the riders, maybe Fast Freddy, just like the look and the skulls the cool cars and the black kit. I don't mean the people that really know cycling, and pour of the details of each pedal stroke. Alot of people I know, who don't even follow the Tour De France, like Rock Racing. They came to the Philly race to "party" with RR. But at least they came to the race. Maybe that will spark their interest in cycling, maybe not.

Hate to break it to you, but most people like the Rock kit, not many on this msg board, but people that just like to watch a race, and yell when the riders go through..you know people that come to watch just to have fun. I've seen the Rock cycling jackets in hip hop clubs in Philly. I got my new kit, by Fed-Ex on Friday and it looks good.

I don't care about Michael Ball or who he owes money to, has no affect me in the least. In 2008 his team did well, and helped cycling in America alot, I wish for cycling's sake he would have continued that trend. Guess people stopped purchasing $200 pairs of jeans(Thank god my girlfriend did, always hated buying those things. Her new thing is UGG boots..Ugg is right)

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
I think the only people who liked the team where the people who had no idea of the stories behind ball and the various riders. People who have little clue about cycling but liked the romance of a bunch of rag tags standing up against the world..

Your right, most people that like the team like them because the looked cool, had cool cars and have cool bike gear. They don't care who Michael Ball is, care who any of the riders are, but when they show up for a race it's like a bunch or rock stars have come. It worked. To bad Ball ran out of funds, missmanged funds, or just got bored of the whole thing.

The thing I think he messed up (mechandise wise) on was the other clothing he sold at races. T-shirts and such. People were not going to buy $50 T-shirts, when that $50 could be spent on discounted bike gear that is always for sale at races in the US. The booth he would set up was crazy with Plasma screens and such and $150 hoodies, no one...not even me lol...is going to buy that.

Jul 26, 2009
Visit site
mikeNphilly said:
I meant mainly people that just show up to watch a race, everyday people, kids..people like that...they probably don't know the riders, maybe Fast Freddy, just like the look and the skulls the cool cars and the black kit. I don't mean the people that really know cycling, and pour of the details of each pedal stroke. Alot of people I know, who don't even follow the Tour De France, like Rock Racing. They came to the Philly race to "party" with RR. But at least they came to the race. Maybe that will spark their interest in cycling, maybe not.

Hate to break it to you, but most people like the Rock kit, not many on this msg board, but people that just like to watch a race, and yell when the riders go through..you know people that come to watch just to have fun. I've seen the Rock cycling jackets in hip hop clubs in Philly. I got my new kit, by Fed-Ex on Friday and it looks good.

I don't care about Michael Ball or who he owes money to, has no affect me in the least. In 2008 his team did well, and helped cycling in America alot, I wish for cycling's sake he would have continued that trend. Guess people stopped purchasing $200 pairs of jeans(Thank god my girlfriend did, always hated buying those things. Her new thing is UGG boots..Ugg is right)

haha........its all good man, but i would make fun of them in spades......i dont live in philly, so your safe.......:)..........enjoy your kit

dimspace said:

Nah. I liked the team they got riders that did great before. As Mancebo and many riders returning from their bans wish i think is pretty cool.

DAOTEC

BANNED
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
José Enrique Gutiérrez retires
José Enrique Gutiérrez has decided to quit cycling, after Rock Racing didn't go for a pro UCI license in 2010.
The 35-year-old Spaniard has been riding for Kelme, Phonak, LPR and finally for Rock Racing.
His greatest act was his 2nd place in the Tour of Italy in 2006. Biciciclismo

galeria16346-001.jpg
Gutiérrez here pictured with the team after winning in the Team overall ToU 2009.

© DoesAnybodyOutThereEvenCare

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
Rock Racing brought an edge to bicycle racing that increased interest in the sport. The sport has a tendency to be very conservative and stuck on traditions.
The problem was that the management was disorganized and pretty much clueless. They were difficult to work with and never came through on most promises made to riders and promoters. Luckily many of the smart riders and managers have moved on to better opportunities.

DAOTEC

BANNED
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Michael Ball Interview Part 1:

Saturday, March 06, 2010 | by Neil Browne at 1:19 AM EST

'No apologies, no regrets'

Francisco] Mancebo, [Oscar] Sevilla, [Victor Hugo] Peña are real stellar, blue collar riders. They are not trying to scam someone. That's another thing I learned about this sport. There are so many scam artists who are just looking out for themselves and stab someone in the back. You only hear one side which says, I am this or I am that. But you don't know the other side of the story. I don't have the time or interest to defend myself. I don't need to. I have done and accomplished things that any of these riders in hundred lifetimes would never come close to.

VN: So where does this leave the team now? Guys are retiring or they have been given the opportunity to look for another team.

Ball: No, no, no. We are now going to be the baddest, fastest amateur team on the planet[laughing]! We are going to go to every race that we can, as long as the promoters want us, and kick everyone's as$ like we have every year that we have been able to race.

It is a bad as$ team. The core guys will be there. Gutierrez unfortunately retired. We were trying to do something like have him come on as a director sportif, but that didn't work out. However the team will be Mancebo, Sevilla, Pena, [Glen] Chadwick, three Mexicans and a Columbian. It's an eight man team.

VN: With the team reverting to an amateur status and you retaining the core riders, how are they making a living?

Ball: They are still drawing a paycheck. They can't race for free and I understand that. They are going to be the highest paid amateurs. It will be the fastest amateur team on the planet.

Part 2 of the VeloNations interview with Michael Ball concludes on Monday with his plans for the future of the team, the branding of Rock Racing and what he would change in the sport of cycling if he could.

Complete interview: http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/3340/Michael-Ball-Interview-No-apologies-no-regrets.aspx

1267796720_gross.jpg
A great man.

DAOTEC said:
It is a bad as$ team. The core guys will be there. Gutierrez unfortunately retired. We were trying to do something like have him come on as a director sportif, but that didn't work out. However the team will be Mancebo, Sevilla, Pena, [Glen] Chadwick, three Mexicans and a Columbian. It's an eight man team.

So FLandis is screwed. Nice of Ball to blame his licensing woes on Landis when it is obvious that he never fulfills his financial obligations.

DAOTEC said:
1267796720_gross.jpg
A great man.

Wow. He looks like a tool there.

DAOTEC

BANNED
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Francisco Mancebo: "There will not change that much"

Contacted by [Cyclismag], Paco Mancebo confirms it will remain good with Rock Racing this season. After twelve years of professionalism, the Spanish rider said that for the fans back home will not change much: "Actually the timing is good and a little is going to be changed".
It's clear now that we can do more races and .1 . HC, we will focus on the Mexican and American national calendars as well as every 2.2 race that we find, like the Tour of Mexico or Colombia.
" Despite a schedule 'almost' exclusively located on the other side of the Atlantic, Mancebo is not planning to move: "I will continue to live in Spain, like last year and keep a close look at the European Calender in particular Spains for Rock Racing. I will travel three to four times during the year overseas for a stay of one month every time. "
According to Michael Ball, wages should not suffer too much of this decline:
"Ils vont être les amateurs les mieux payés". Il leur devait bien ça.:eek:

Rock Racing retains its core | 2010 Roster signed thuss far >
Oscar Sevilla,
Paco Mancebo,
Victor Hugo Pena,
Glenn Chadwick,
Ignacio Sarabia, 15/07/1983 (Mex)
Juan Pablo Magallanes 06/02/1982 (Mex)

Despite the loss of professional status, the truculent fashion pattern American team owner Michael Ball is enthusiastic: "This will be an amateur team the strongest in the world (...) We go to all races that we can race, as long as the organizers want us, and the feared skull will kick some as$ to our opponents as we have done in last years where we lined up ...

More announcements Monday Valonation Mr. Ball interview Part II ~ © DoesAnybodyOutThereEvenCare

xnobrakesx said:
I'm happy FLandis is not on the Am squad. I'd rather see him race unattached then race for Rock as an amateur. Someone pay him though!

From the Velonation interview:

"Let me tell you something about Floyd. I like the guy, but his idea of business dealings were not a lot to be desired. It didn't work out in the end because I couldn't take his word, so it ended. I'm fine with that. It didn't end in a bad way, but didn't end in a good way."

Some more interesting things:

"I have given my own personal wealth into this sport, even to the point where I am supporting the sport of cycling in the US through sponsoring races and underwriting events. To that point when Medalist Sports came to me in the 11th hour and said they needed more money to put on the national championships [2008 U.S. Cycling Championships in Greenville], they asked if I would be interested. I said, 'Sure, what is the return on this? What kind of marketing and branding?' They told me and we did it. I helped facilitate that race. Then in 2009 they did not invite us to the Tour of Missouri. They are some of the most unethical, hypocritical people I have ever met in my dealings in business. I have never seen anything like it."

"I have to be honest with you, no one wanted to race with Freddy. The other riders did not want to race with him. He is a great guy, great athlete, but very difficult..."

"...Here is how screwed up the UCI is. All of our registration papers came from Mexico and they continued to call it an American team. No idiots read your e-mails and the forms! You know, they still have my money. They [UCI] still have my half-million dollars..."

DAOTEC

BANNED
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Michael Ball Interview Part 2:

Monday, March 08, 2010 | by Neil Browne at 3:49 PM EST

'If I could change the (cycling) world'

VN: If you could wave a magic wand, what would you change about the sport of cycling?

Ball: I would decentralize it. The UCI holds too much power and that power needs to go to the riders. The riders are the ones that own the sport, but so many are happy to get a paycheck. A lot of them aren't the most sophisticated characters. I use Mancebo as an example. He is a very simple guy and most cyclists are. That is not a jab at them. This is only what Mancebo is interested in: his family - obviously, go out and train, go race, at the end of the day have a nice dinner and a bottle of Spanish wine – no matter where he is in the world and go home and fu*k his wife. That's it! It's very simple: training, Spanish wine and fu*k his wife. It's not too complicated and I think it is beautiful and that is the cool thing about cycling and what drives me to the sport. The 'pureness' of it. Forget about all the scandals and the politics. At the end of the day it is so simple and such a beautiful life compared to mine. Mine is as complicated as you can get.

Complete interview: http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/3381/Michael-Ball-Interview-Part-2-If-I-could-change-the-cycling-world.aspx

DAOTEC

BANNED
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
So let's see... you're worried about your job security and long term prospects and trying to save a little money. What's it going to be, the $200 jeans with the fancy stitching on the a$$ at Nordstroms, or a $30 pair of Levis 501s at Fred Meyer? I'm so surprised that R&R is going belly up. But I'm sure this will have absolutely no effect on the distribution of their pricey bike with the fancy logo on the bars--they'll just do a little "restructuring" and that'll fix everything.

TRENDING THREADS