• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

RSS News Feed?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
I'll believe it when I see it

I've been asking for this for years - at least 4 years. The answer I ALWAYS get is "we're working on it" or "I can't tell you the exact date, but it's on the way!".

Bottom line: Don't hold your breath for an RSS/Atom feed.

This is one of the main reasons I rarely visit cyclingnews. I have all of my cycling-related RSS/Atom feeds set up in Google Reader and it's pretty sweet to follow cycling news (sadly, not cyclingnews.com) from there.

Cyclingnews: It's obvious you just don't get it. RSS/Atom feeds actually INCREASE your website traffic, not the other way around. If you want to be a serious Web 2.0+ website, you need an RSS/Atom feed. YESTERDAY. Get with it!

Update: Ok, you seem to get it now. See next post. Sorry to be so harsh, but, really, you guys deserved it. ;-)

Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
Wow, the irony. You guys literally got the RSS up "YESTERDAY". Good start. Now, could you set them up so that Safari and Firefox can detect that you have RSS feeds? They both detect the RSS feed on the forum page because you have defined the link tag with the correct type inside the html page. You should be able to do the same for your other RSS feeds, even if they are pointing to feedburner.

Thanks. I must say, I'm a bit shocked. Can't wait to get the feeds set up in my GReader.

Update: I just set up one of the feeds in GReader and it looks good. An adequate amount of summary content so I can determine whether I want to visit the site to read the entire article.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Problem with RSS feeds repeating

I'm using Thunderbird as my RSS reader, and it works fine for all the other sites I follow, including several via feedburner. However the CN feed items keep coming back after having read and deleted them. It's like every half hour or so I get another 25 "new" feeds, and if I leave it a while every news item shows up several times.

Any ideas on what's going on, and how to fix this? Otherwise I think the RSS functionality is great!