• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rui Costa Discussion Thread

Page 21 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
might not be the man for grand tours. probably should lose time in the alpes now and go hard in the pyrenees. papy horner i feel he's getting better and better, the weather it's going hot so a top 10 and with god's help even a top 5 is still possible.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Parrulo said:
I didn't watch the stage but from what i have read he looked cooked.
I dont know what you read,but imo he did look cooked after crossing the finish line of course cuz he was chasing all alone.But in that descend he didnt look cooked at all.I think he is ok.;)

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Escarabajo said:
He is 14th now at 5:34. He can be top 10 in half - stage. Just saying.

But only with some improvements from where he is now, and that looks unlikely ATM.

He might need to lose more time first, but a lucky break could be his best shot.

Still plenty of climbing to come though, so if he can improve he has a chance to ride into top 10 if others have some bad days.

He just posted his diary on his website

He said that he had a terrible day. At first he thought he was just feeling the effects of the heat after so many days of cold. But since he was having a hard time breathing since the rest day he went to the doctor after the stage and was diagnosed with an acute bronchitis and has already started with medication.

I guess that explains a lot. . . and it seems like his fight for GC is over if it doesn't get better really fast. :eek:

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
So his first race as GT leader and he seems to be going worse by the day...
Lost 1'36 in 'easy' stage today..

Is there anything wrong with him or is he just to inconsistent to be a GT leader?

Something is wrong when Reza arrives in the main group and Costa don't.

This guy won a sprint vs Purito after 272km, this was a ****ty hilly stage and he couldn't hang with the front group?

He's injured or his form took a very strong hit with the rest day (last year he won his first stage after the 2nd rest day).

Parrulo said:
He just posted his diary on his website

He said that he had a terrible day. At first he thought he was just feeling the effects of the heat after so many days of cold. But since he was having a hard time breathing since the rest day he went to the doctor after the stage and was diagnosed with an acute bronchitis and has already started with medication.

I guess that explains a lot. . . and it seems like his fight for GC is over if it doesn't get better really fast. :eek:

it makes sense. he looked very bad indeed. the weather will get better but i highly doubt that he will too...

patrick767 said:
He hit the top ten today thanks to Papy power! :D

Without the bronchitis he wouldn't have lost 1:30 on wednesday and would probably been able to finish with the Peraud group today. That is 2:30 lost so he would have been fighting for a top 5 instead of just barely hanging to the top 10.

I really hope he get's better before the Pyrenees

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Costa really poor. Lampre just got another Cunego. Except Costa will contend for GC in 1 week races. They are crying out for a GT rider who can do well. Scarponi was last man they had and he was not all that. Should try Nibali in a few years.

Parrulo said:
Without the bronchitis he wouldn't have lost 1:30 on wednesday and would probably been able to finish with the Peraud group today. That is 2:30 lost so he would have been fighting for a top 5 instead of just barely hanging to the top 10.

I really hope he get's better before the Pyrenees

This is true, but it doesn't contradict the post you were replying to. Costa was in trouble because he is sick. Horner rescued him from some of the consequences of being sick. Without Horner he probably keeps drifting back after first losing ground.

TRENDING THREADS