• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rui Costa Discussion Thread

Page 27 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Probably a question of money. With his poor results he will surely get a salary cut.
Also, with Martin, Aru, Ulissi and Henao, his chances of being a leader in UAE are very slim.

Astana would very good for him, but I'm afraid he will choose Katusha for the portuguese connection (José Azevedo and José Gonçalves on the team).

Costa with his first wins since 2020 and last 3 win season was 2017!!!! It’s been a great change of scenery for him so far.
Guy is an absolute wildcard for his squad.. with his form and skill set he is someone that needs constant coverage and has to be chased down.. he is near the front at all these early races.. Hope something big hits for him this year!!

Guy is an absolute wildcard for his squad.. with his form and skill set he is someone that needs constant coverage and has to be chased down.. he is near the front at all these early races.. Hope something big hits for him this year!!

I read the last sentence as "hope something big hits him this year", and didn't find that to be a particularly nice hope ;)

First place in 2023 CQ Ranking.

With 552 points until the beginning of Paris-Nice/Tirreno, it's also the best start of the season of his career so far. Previous years:

2017 - 460
2020 - 184
2022 - 169
2019 - 141
2018 - 132
2010 - 124
2014 - 116
2016 - 103
2012 - 103
2013 - 96
2015 - 38
2021 - 18
2011 - 0
2009 - 0

And not one player picked him for the annual CQ game...

• Haha
Reactions: noob and Sandisfan
How long will he be out of action?
Minimum 5 weeks, if they put screws and plates as needed, but if they just use an immobilizer takes 7-10 days more and you can't put as much pressure on it as fast, 6 weeks is pretty standard w a clean break on your clavicle. Shoulder blade is also a common broken part for cyclists, but it can be more complicated to heal properly. The more they can secure it the fusing is faster but it can take a couple of months. And you can only do stationary training ( in pain) and you get atrophy because you can't really put any pressure or weight on it.
You do lots of involuntary things, for example you are in a sitting on laying down position and your phone rings, someone knocking on your front door, you hear a buzzer on your microwave or clothes dryer. When you get up and all your muscles momentarily contract, just anything like reaching for the TV remote, that tiny, tiny movement, even coughing can cause a shooting pain like a lightning bolt slamming you in the chest. After a half dozen times, you try not to move or breath, so you don't and it still happens!! It's like having temporary Tourette's syndrome symptoms!! And when you ask an ortho they can't really explain what your collar bone does!! Super easy to break, like @25 pounds of pressure and it snaps.. It's definitely one of God' s mistakes I have prayed to God not to break my again..3 times right side and one time left, and once from not getting unclipped at Jack in the Box in San Diego and I tipped over going zero miles per hour, didn't even get my clothes dirty..
Strange that Rui got same stage finish time as Isaac Del Toro..?

Minimum 5 weeks, if they put screws and plates as needed, but if they just use an immobilizer takes 7-10 days more and you can't put as much pressure on it as fast, 6 weeks is pretty standard w a clean break on your clavicle. Shoulder blade is also a common broken part for cyclists, but it can be more complicated to heal properly. The more they can secure it the fusing is faster but it can take a couple of months. And you can only do stationary training ( in pain) and you get atrophy because you can't really put any pressure or weight on it.
You do lots of involuntary things, for example you are in a sitting on laying down position and your phone rings, someone knocking on your front door, you hear a buzzer on your microwave or clothes dryer. When you get up and all your muscles momentarily contract, just anything like reaching for the TV remote, that tiny, tiny movement, even coughing can cause a shooting pain like a lightning bolt slamming you in the chest. After a half dozen times, you try not to move or breath, so you don't and it still happens!! It's like having temporary Tourette's syndrome symptoms!! And when you ask an ortho they can't really explain what your collar bone does!! Super easy to break, like @25 pounds of pressure and it snaps.. It's definitely one of God' s mistakes I have prayed to God not to break my again..3 times right side and one time left, and once from not getting unclipped at Jack in the Box in San Diego and I tipped over going zero miles per hour, didn't even get my clothes dirty..
Strange that Rui got same stage finish time as Isaac Del Toro..?
Wow, that’s quite an ordeal to go through several times over . . . Never heard a good explanation before. Best wishes it doesn’t happen again.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Wow, that’s quite an ordeal to go through several times over . . . Never heard a good explanation before. Best wishes it doesn’t happen again.
If you race it happens, by the time guys are pro it's probably over 40-50%..I would be curious to see how snapped Mark Cavendish is ..he probably has a calendar that shows dates when his collar bone wasn't broken.. Those guys are tough