• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Russian ban to stay for Olympics

I'd hold fire to see how many individuals escape through the net.

Quote from The Grauniad:-

" 'Many expect those Russian athletes who have not tested positive for a banned substance will appeal to the court of arbitration for sport, arguing that it is wrong to punish clean athletes for the crimes of others.' John Coates, the Australian IOC member, said on Friday"

As usual with anti-doping bodies, when it suits they conveniently conflate "not testing positive" with "cleans" as they're rapidly showing now.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
So IAAF on one hand banning Russia Athletics, but opening up a window for those Russian athletes who can show they are clean!!

Showing you are clean, does that involve large amounts of untraceable currencies?????

Not so fast... the IOC are yet to make their minds up. Pistols drawn at dawn. Human Rights Court will convene a hearing within a week. Putin will make some calls. Russian hackers will threaten to create anarchy.

I think proving they are clean is short form for having been monitored outside the Russian system by a credible anti-doping body. Thats more in lines with what Andersen said IIRC. It's much easier for the media to say clean/not clean than what I wrote above.

How about cleanish and cleanishness?

Re:

ebandit said:
...this i don't understand....IAAF have banned but IOC could allow?

or have i got that wrong

Mark L

In theory the IOC could overturn the decision. Buuut. The IOC can not reinstate the athletes since they are banned by the Federation.

If they were to overturn it, I would be running outside to look for the Pigs flying,

Re:

Benotti69 said:
So IAAF on one hand banning Russia Athletics, but opening up a window for those Russian athletes who can show they are clean!!

Showing you are clean, does that involve large amounts of untraceable currencies?????

Why doesn't that seem fair? Is it fair that those that haven't been implicated nor been suspected of anything don't get to compete, yet a whole host of other athletes that have faced prior suspensions (Gay, Gatlin, Blake, Powell, etc) get t to race without compunction? This isn't a question of saying Russia is treated unfairly because they actually don't have a doping problem, it's a question of they are treated unfairly because they do have a doping problem, and so do countries with similar histories (and current systems) like the US get to race. If a former head of USOC anti-doping said that the hundreds of positives were covered up, why didn't the US get a similar ban post 2000? They don't have a problem in going back in time to reveal positive tests from Russian athletes, but no peep about US doping, when it's already established that went on. When you cover up that many positives (and at least half of those athletes went on to win medals-Carl Lewis, a big example), over a time period that spans over a decade, with some of the most famous athletes in the history of track and field and the olympic movement, then there is a serious problem. Putin may not be angel, I think we can all agree there, but I honestly wouldn't blame him if he were to send in a complaint on behalf of the federation, and least of all the aforementioned perceived 'clean' track and field competitors.

And Lord Coe, what about his predicament? He was in on it. He was part of the bribing and manipulation and the omertà. Why isn't he banned as well? First he was in on it, then he denied and called it an 'attack' on IAAF's credibility, then he attacked the Russians and told them to 'clean up' and now he is part of the vote that bans the Russians from Rio. Does any of that regarding "Lord" Coe make sense?

Re: Re:

BullsFan22 said:
Benotti69 said:

And Lord Coe, what about his predicament? He was in on it. He was part of the bribing and manipulation and the omertà. Why isn't he banned as well? First he was in on it, then he denied and called it an 'attack' on IAAF's credibility, then he attacked the Russians and told them to 'clean up' and now he is part of the vote that bans the Russians from Rio. Does any of that regarding "Lord" Coe make sense?

This ^

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
the jv doppelganger, umlaut, but since it is cycling, the JV chimera, race walker, and no that aint idiom or euphemism for that thing i cant say cos irondan will banhammer me

jared talent, race walker

wants the russians banned.

currently flying to st moritz for pre Rio training camp, like the Garmin boys in 2007 were there too, think Schumi has his chalet there... just sayin'

cRKvWkaD.jpg

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
So... say UCI said "Russian cyclists you are banned from Rio due to terrible RUSADA". The Russian pros say "hey UCI we arn't we controlled mainly by your UCI system"? "So if you are letting the pros from other countries into Rio who are under your testing (especially ones who don't live in the country of their NADO's) how can you ban us?" The crack in the door looks big.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I think the week before Rio Russia will be allowed to show up due a technicality and then the games start and media at games get threats to not talk about doping and Brazilian police will assist in 'removing' any journos not abiding by a doping reporting ban.

oldcrank said:
Irondan said:
They ought to just cancel the games....
Spoken like an non-athlete that hasn't spent three years
minimum and possibly eight or more years preparing for
the Olympics. But hey, non-athletes are entitled to their
opinions too, my friend.
Obviously my sarcasm went way over your head, perhaps it was because in your juvenile attempt to personally attack me you didn't realize that what I said is so ridiculous, it couldn't possibly be something a normal, rational person would say. <sarcasm>

But hey, you took your best shot and missed.

Better luck next time. :rolleyes:

May 26, 2010
Visit site

oldcrank said:
Irondan said:
They ought to just cancel the games....
Spoken like an non-athlete that hasn't spent three years
minimum and possibly eight or more years preparing for
the Olympics. But hey, non-athletes are entitled to their
opinions too, my friend.

Three or possibly eight years on PEDs, all that money it is imperative they get their chance of GLORY! :D my entitled friend.

Re:

Benotti69 said:
I think the week before Rio Russia will be allowed to show up due a technicality and then the games start and media at games get threats to not talk about doping and Brazilian police will assist in 'removing' any journos not abiding by a doping reporting ban.

I don't think they'll be let in, at least not as an entire delegation. There might be a decent number of Russians competing under the IOC flag, if they can prove they are indeed 'clean' but if they are fully let back in, expect some fireworks. Isinbayeva says she'll sue, and the Russian OC has said they have put in a complaint and are trying to overturn the decision via the IOC, but unless the IOC wants to look worse than it already is, they'll uphold the ban. It will also be interesting to see what WADA and the IOC do regarding other federations that haven't been 'compliant' with testing and their labs being shut down. Also, if the Puerto scandal opens up, what will that do the Spanish federation? Will more happen there? If the statute of limitations is indeed expired, can something still be done?

TRENDING THREADS