• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Russian Insider Says State-Run Doping Fueled Olympic Gold

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Re: Re:

Irondan said:
Glenn_Wilson said:
Irondan said:
glassmoon said:
Russia showing that it's serious about cleaning up it's image.... :rolleyes:
No doubt!

But honestly why the hate towards the Eki? Because he is a Russian? There are quite a few dopers in Cycling today at many levels.
No hating going on here, I'm just simply calling it like I see it.
Hate was a strong usage of the webster.

But I understand it is like letting the rooster into the hen house. I just don't understand why people like JV and many other are not looked upon the same. I'm not talking to you on a personal level just a generalization.

Glenn_Wilson said:
Irondan said:
Glenn_Wilson said:
Irondan said:
glassmoon said:
No doubt!

But honestly why the hate towards the Eki? Because he is a Russian? There are quite a few dopers in Cycling today at many levels.
No hating going on here, I'm just simply calling it like I see it.
Hate was a strong usage of the webster.

But I understand it is like letting the rooster into the hen house. I just don't understand why people like JV and many other are not looked upon the same. I'm not talking to you on a personal level just a generalization.
Yeah, I got it. But, who says JV isn't looked at like a phony or ex doper? I think JV's reputation in this forum is not so good as most members see through the BS he spins...

Jul 5, 2009
Visit site

Glenn_Wilson said:
Irondan said:
glassmoon said:
No doubt!

You know that's one reform I'd love to see. If you get caught doping, okay. Serve your suspension and come back as a rider. But once you're caught, I think it would be great if there was a lifetime ban on taking any other role such as DS, coach, working for your federation, etc. I also think it would be great if there was a UCI fund that any ex pro could use for their education after retirement. It might take away some incentive from doping and add some incentives for staying clean. A neo-pro who probably isn't making much money wouldn't want to jeopardize that safety net. And after a generation passes, all the dirty folk who run the sport now will be gone.

And while I'm dreaming I want a pony. And a nice bottle of Caol Ila.

John Swanson

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Yes that is true. It just seems the Russian bit these days is a bit played. Eki is not the right choice if someone wants to present a clean transparent image I will concede that. I just think he has every right to make money in this corrupt landscape as anyone else. I'm one of the jaded fans. Not like I was ever fooled but I can admit I had the hope that at least one Hero could be clean.

Peace.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site

ScienceIsCool said:
Glenn_Wilson said:
Irondan said:
glassmoon said:
No doubt!

You know that's one reform I'd love to see. If you get caught doping, okay. Serve your suspension and come back as a rider. But once you're caught, I think it would be great if there was a lifetime ban on taking any other role such as DS, coach, working for your federation, etc. I also think it would be great if there was a UCI fund that any ex pro could use for their education after retirement. It might take away some incentive from doping and add some incentives for staying clean. A neo-pro who probably isn't making much money wouldn't want to jeopardize that safety net. And after a generation passes, all the dirty folk who run the sport now will be gone.

And while I'm dreaming I want a pony. And a nice bottle of Caol Ila.

John Swanson
Great ideas. I said a long time ago on a forum of the past now. Why is the Union not stronger? Why do they not determine the rules? Why do they not provide for the future of the cyclist? Maybe you would have a less greedy bastad like Lance and USPS. They were true capitalist no doubt but if there was some incentive of a future beyond the TDF victory?????

So Eki gets the job and we continue to ride the same rut in the cobbles.

Glenn_Wilson said:
Irondan said:
glassmoon said:
No doubt!

Wasn't Ekimov the one who spat on Simeoni? I'm not sure if i remember well but he seems like a complete douche if that's the case.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
I still think Seppelt is an antidoping legend but i do feel he is now losing the plot.
Tweeting (I paraphrase) "Russian use of TUEs is being ignored in public debate. Rather telling."

How is it even remotely relevant that Russians use TUEs?
It's a bit like Sky saying "well Lance used tramadol and retrospective TUEs too, so cut us some slack". Completely besides the point.

Re:

sniper said:
I still think Seppelt is an antidoping legend but i do feel he is now losing the plot.
Tweeting (I paraphrase) "Russian use of TUEs is being ignored in public debate. Rather telling."

How is it even remotely relevant that Russians use TUEs?
It's a bit like Sky saying "well Lance used tramadol and retrospective TUEs too, so cut us some slack". Completely besides the point.

Not sure he is a 'hero.' The guy has a political agenda. Well, not him alone, he didn't hire himself to work for ARD, but you get the picture. He is also a massive hypocrite, because when fancy bears leaked information (and will continue to do so, as far as I can see) about the use or rather the misuse of TUE's from American athletes, he and people like Travis Tygart said it was a breach of privacy and that essentially FB didn't know what TUE's are and what they are for and that application for TUE's isn't doping. Now he is complaining about Russian use of TUE's. So which is it? And what exactly are the Russians doping with? EPO? Xenon? Steroids mixed with cocktail? Meldonium? Various medications that they have TUE's for?

I wasn't sure what to really call the guy at first. Perhaps David Walsh? I think he's worse than Walsh.

It's been a while since I've visited his tweeter feed. I don't plan on visiting anytime soon. I agree about hims losing the plot, but IMO he lost it a while ago.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site

ColonelKidneyBeans said:
Glenn_Wilson said:
Irondan said:
glassmoon said:
No doubt!

Wasn't Ekimov the one who spat on Simeoni? I'm not sure if i remember well but he seems like a complete douche if that's the case.
Someone did and probably he was the culprit.

Maybe Berzin is a better choice? He ever spit on someone? :rolleyes:

Glenn_Wilson said:
ColonelKidneyBeans said:
Glenn_Wilson said:
Irondan said:
glassmoon said:
No doubt!

Someone did and probably he was the culprit.

Maybe Berzin is a better choice? He ever spit on someone? :rolleyes:
I'm just pointing that they are very legitimate reasons to dislike Ekimov, more than "he's a Russian doper". Me i don't care about the Russian part, and i don't care that much about the doper part. But i can't stand that he acted like trash. He didn't need to go that far. And with what we know about how Katusha managed their rider the past few years, he's unlikely to have changed. Still an ass.
And no, Berzin would not be a better choice as a credible cycling federation president, but maybe he would be a bit more... insufferable?

Poor misunderstood Russia. It's a conspiracy, everyone is after Russia. I guess until other countries have shown to be doping on an industrial sized scale by testing it is Russia maintaining it's reputation re corruption as the leaders in sports doping and they always rate highly on international corruption lists but of course that can't be right either can it ? Death threats to whistle blowers naah they just wanted to scare them. Athletes fleeing Russia in fear of their lives ? You can't be serious. Sports doctors committing suicide ? It must be depression. Mass doping in the Paralympics, Winter Olympics ? Nyet it's simply Western propaganda it's inconceivable that Russia is as bad as others make out.................

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
I didnt see anybody deny any of that though. It's very conceivable. They are also an autonomous country though. To see Tygart and UKAD and some others stick their noses in Russia's business whilst not guarding their own shithouse is a bit too much for some.

Re:

sniper said:
I didnt see anybody deny any of that though. It's very conceivable. They are also an autonomous country though. To see Tygart and UKAD and some others stick their noses in Russia's business whilst not guarding their own shithouse is a bit too much for some.

Tygart has to justify his 'job,' which is apparently 'anti-doping,' but it looks as though he is trying out for a position in Trump's cabinet. And obviously the hypocrisy with the TUE's. This guy would make a perfect politician.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Yep, agreed.
The IOCs hypocrisy is also worth stressing.
Seppelt going after IOc and Bach is main reason why I think we should not be giving up on Seppelt just yet.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Thats good.
Let's hope Hajo Seppelt (and co.) will now give it a rest.
Or at the very least he should start providing some more balanced commentary. His tweets are so one-sided at the moment, as if systematic doping really only happens in Russia.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Oh well. RUSADA now say it was taken out of context.

"In response to the publication in The New York Times, RUSADA states that the words of acting General Director Antselovich were distorted and taken out of the context," RUSADA said in a statement provided for TASS.

"During Antselovich’s talk with journalist Rebecca Ruiz, the acting general director made a remark that in his report of December 9, 2016 Richard McLaren had given up the phrase ‘state-sponsored doping system’ and used the words ‘institutional conspiracy,’ thus excluding the involvement of the country’s top leadership," the statement said.

"Unfortunately, Rebecca Ruiz took these words out of the context, thus creating an impression that the RUSADA leadership admits to the institutional scheme of doping cover-up in Russia," the RUSADA statement said.

http://tass.com/sport/922973

Re:

gooner said:
Oh well. RUSADA now say it was taken out of context.

"In response to the publication in The New York Times, RUSADA states that the words of acting General Director Antselovich were distorted and taken out of the context," RUSADA said in a statement provided for TASS.

"During Antselovich’s talk with journalist Rebecca Ruiz, the acting general director made a remark that in his report of December 9, 2016 Richard McLaren had given up the phrase ‘state-sponsored doping system’ and used the words ‘institutional conspiracy,’ thus excluding the involvement of the country’s top leadership," the statement said.

"Unfortunately, Rebecca Ruiz took these words out of the context, thus creating an impression that the RUSADA leadership admits to the institutional scheme of doping cover-up in Russia," the RUSADA statement said.

http://tass.com/sport/922973

This stuff is hilarious. When you change the wording it's not an admission of guilt. Context is everything. To cheat or not to cheat that is the question.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Re: Russian Insider Says State-Run Doping Fueled Olympic Gol

The original article is behind a paywall but this is a good summary of McLaren's latest interview.

Reporter Cathal Kelly notes how Prof. McLaren, 71, turns his phone off as they arrive at a conference room at his London, Ontario offices and tells the G&M:

“This is just far too easy to track. In fact, I can track your phone from here. I have that equipment.”

McLaren no longer uses public Wifi and tells us all to “never, ever use your cellphone is at an airport”. He has even shifted his schedule to work in the hours when those trying to hack into his phone and elsewhere are less active.

We learn from Kelly that during the doping investigations into Russia, Prof McLaren’s

- staff were followed
- computer systems were ‘steadily attacked’
- his students at Western University of Western Ontario were approached.

McLaren was targetted. Schedules, hotels travel plans were changed at the last minute – for the whole team. The spy alert button was switched to permanent ‘on’.

He talks to Kelly of the four types of witnesses approached in the inquiry: those who refused to co-operate; those who wanted everything, questions an answers, in writing; the Skypers; and then those who wanted to speak but were frightened off. McLaren tells the Globe and Mail:

“It was a cover-up that evolved from uncontrolled chaos to an institutionalised and disciplined medal-winning conspiracy.”

http://www.swimvortex.com/doping-its-all-been-a-bit-like-a-spy-story-richard-mclaren-tells-the-globe-mail/

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site

Arguably the film's biggest bombshell — or rather the most significant backing up of long-suspected information — is Rodchenkov's testimony that Putin personally arranged his release from custody to go back to work and oversee a continuation of the doping programme.

'Putin requested me,' he tells Fogel, describing the move back to the head of the lab and Russia's appointed doper-in-chief as his 'redemption'. Rodchenkov says he doped 30 Russian medal winners at Beijing 2008, and at least half of Russia's 72 medal winners at London 2012 before orchestrating Russia's dirty glory on home snow and ice at Sochi 2014.

Where all of this leaves the world of anti-doping — and Russia —remains to be seen. The film will certainly add an element of evidential weight to those arguing Russia is not fit to stage the 2018 World Cup and should be kicked out of the Olympics until they prove they have cleaned up their act.

Infantino also asked Mutko to step away from football.

http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-4143894/Putin-alleged-heart-Russia-doping-scandal.html

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site

Another whistleblower.

Andrey Dmitriev knows that his testimony is unlikely to go down well back home - but the Russian 1,500 metres runner is determined to speak out. "”If everyone remains silent, as is usual in Russia, nothing will change",” says Dmitriev in an ARD exclusive interview. Seeing no sign of change in the Russian athletics world, he has declared his willingness to work as a whistleblower.

Dmitriev has evidence to support his claims. Like Yuliya and Vitaly Stepanov, the first Russian whistleblowers, he shot secret video footage. Recorded on January 12, the resulting images feature Vladimir Kazarin, one of the most successful 800 meters coaches in the world - and currently suspended due to doping practices. He is seen in a sports hall in Chelyabinsk during a training session for 400 metres runner Artem Denmukhametov. "”I would not see him just letting it go. He just continues coaching",” said Dmitriev during a meeting in Kazakhstan.

"It’s imitating changes, but there are none really"

He also reports having seen Kazarin at a training camp in Kyrgyzstan in November 2016. This is the same man who previously supplied Yuliya Stepanova with banned substances, and coached 800 meters Olympic champion Mariya Savinova. The latter was later stripped of her gold medal due to doping offences. In April 2016 the Russian Athletics Federation (RusAF) instructed its regional associations to cease working with Kazarin - albeit, as it seems, to no avail. Andrey Dmitriev is in no doubt: ”"You say that we are changing, but these people are still there. This is just hypocrisy for me. It’s lying. It’s imitating changes, but there are none really.”"

Dmitriev stresses that Kazarin is not the only individual still working despite earlier doping practices. He has given Germany’s ARD further names of prominent Russian coaches who ”are unable to work without doping” and who he claims are still active. Kazarin is not even the biggest name involved, claims Dmitriev. "I see the coaches who I know use doping, they are still there. And the athletes who I know for sure were doping, they still train there.”"

Vladimir Kazarin himself has not commented on the accusations made against him, likewise all other coaches and athletes named by Andrey Dmitriev. The Russian athletics federation failed to respond when contacted by ARD.

http://www.sportschau.de/doping/doping-whistleblower-englisch-100.html