• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Russian Insider Says State-Run Doping Fueled Olympic Gold

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Re: Russian Insider Says State-Run Doping Fueled Olympic Gol

MOSCOW (AP) — Russia's doping cover-up went far beyond the Olympics, according to a vast archive of emails released by a World Anti-Doping Agency investigator.

Besides the 12 medal winners from the 2014 Winter Olympics whose samples were supposedly tampered with, messages show a system which covered up drug use by blind athletes and children as young as 15.

In 2015, a year after the Olympics, Russia's top doping scientist, Grigory Rodchenkov, complained that the scheme Richard McLaren termed the "disappearing positive methodology" had grown so large it was covering for doping — and apparent abuse of power — in disabled sports.

Five blind athletes in powerlifting, a form of weightlifting, had tested positive for the banned steroid methandienone at the same training camp. Rodchenkov suspected unscrupulous coaches eager for medals were doping the athletes without their knowledge.

"It's a disgrace," Rodchenkov wrote to Alexei Velikodny of Russian state's Sports Training Center. The coaches were "picking on the blind (who) can't even see what people are giving them."

https://apnews.com/8be9cb7fcb5b4d65b1031597bb9f9e5e/Emails-show-how-Russian-officials-covered-up-mass-doping?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP_Sports

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Re:

Jagartrott said:
The Russian secret service changed 'hot' samples with clean ones (taken months earlier) via a hole in the wall.
Sounds like a B-movie from the 80s or something.
*cue synthesizer music*

wahaha, precisely B-pr0n

Olympic Glory Hole

(through the hole to glory)

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Re:

gooner said:
I just knew with this important news, that someone would bring it back to Britain.

Yawn.
This is a bit like if we'd hear more details about USPS doping.
And more...
And still more...Yawn indeed.
I mean it's probably kind of semi-interesting for the fanatics, to have a laugh, or simply to update Dopeology.org.
But "important news"? It's not even news.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Re: Re:

sniper said:
gooner said:
I just knew with this important news, that someone would bring it back to Britain.

Yawn.
And more...
I mean it's probably kind of semi-interesting for the fanatics, to have a laugh, or simply to update Dopeology.org.

This not important. It's disgraceful as he admitted.

Besides the 12 medal winners from the 2014 Winter Olympics whose samples were supposedly tampered with, messages show a system which covered up drug use by blind athletes and children as young as 15.

Five blind athletes in powerlifting, a form of weightlifting, had tested positive for the banned steroid methandienone at the same training camp. Rodchenkov suspected unscrupulous coaches eager for medals were doping the athletes without their knowledge.

"It's a disgrace," Rodchenkov wrote to Alexei Velikodny of Russian state's Sports Training Center. The coaches were "picking on the blind (who) can't even see what people are giving them."

But it's only deemed important if it's British related.

The amount of times I have seen this over the last few days.

Re:

King Boonen said:
This is getting ridiculous. The thread is specifically about state sponsored doping in Russia and, surprise, surprise, as soon as there is a development to be discussed the off-topic posting about Sky and Britain begins.
Good point. UK is mosl likely only involved with the cover up, not the actual doping.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site

gooner said:
sniper said:
gooner said:

Yawn.
And more...

This not important. It's disgraceful as he admitted.

But it's only deemed important if it's British related.

The amount of times I have seen this over the last few days.
You didn't know that this was happening? Well in that case, yes, I suppose you must be shocked.

To me it's a bit like finding out that women and children are being abused by soldiers in war zones.
Yes, it's terrible, yes it's shocking, but is it news?

More generally, if you are not the least bit alarmed or annoyed by the vast amount of Russia bashing by people who themselves claim to be squeeky clean...

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site

MOSCOW (AP) — The IAAF may reanalyze Russian samples from the 2014 world indoor track championships over suspicions that athletes who failed doping tests were allowed to compete.

Messages between then-Moscow laboratory director Grigory Rodchenkov and Sports Ministry official Alexei Velikodny, released on Friday as part of World Anti-Doping Agency investigator Richard McLaren's report into Russian doping, show eight athletes gave suspicious samples the week before they were to travel to the competition in Sopot, Poland.

The samples collected at the national training base near Moscow included three with unusually high testosterone levels, four containing the anabolic agent ostarine, and one containing both ostarine and the banned steroid turinabol.

All were given "save" orders by Velikodny — the command which meant a suspicious sample should be recorded as clean. Rodchenkov, however, responded that some cases would have to be reported positive.

http://www.newser.com/article/3bbb04032ce641cd8bbe509ac6778e85/iaaf-to-look-into-2014-world-indoors-for-russian-doping.html

Re:

King Boonen said:
This is getting ridiculous. The thread is specifically about state sponsored doping in Russia and, surprise, surprise, as soon as there is a development to be discussed the off-topic posting about Sky and Britain begins.

You deal realise that one of the enablers was Craig Reddie head of WADA, do you think it was only Russians he was allowing to dope? Not his own countrymen and women?

thehog said:
King Boonen said:

You deal realise that one of the enablers was Craig Reddie head of WADA, do you think it was only Russians he was allowing to dope? Not his own countrymen and women?

If you want to discuss other nations doping go to a different thread. There are plenty available.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site

thehog said:
King Boonen said:

Another one directly involved in the cover up was Martial Saucy. Not to mention Papa. And that french guy Gabriel Dolle.
It makes one wonder, is State-run doping an accurate denomination here?

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site

Wishful thinking but the World Cup should be next.

Sochi has been stripped of the International Bobsleigh and Skeleton Federation (IBSF) World Championships today, with another location "to be determined" in coming days.

In a statement this evening, the IBSF Executive Committee felt that "during this difficult time it is prudent not to organise such an event in Russia".

The decision was made to "allow athletes and coaches from all nations to participate in a competition that focuses on sport rather than accusations and discussions - whether justified or not".

They added that the Russian Bobsleigh Federation has put a "great effort" in the preparation of the World Championships, but that the "current climate would make it nearly impossible to appreciate the efforts of the Organising Committee to host a great event or the quality of the Sanki Sliding Center as one of the best tracks in the world".

The decision comes after South Korea, Germany and Austria joined Latvia and athletes in Britain and United States in calling for the event to be moved from Sochi in response to evidence of state sponsored Russian doping.

Last week's McLaren Report produced damning evidence of a doping manipulation scheme in which more than 1,000 Russian athletes are thought to have been implicated at events including the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympic Games.

Latvia, home of the Olympic silver medallist and world champion Martins Dukurs, had already withdrawn from skeleton events.

American athletes and Britain's reigning Olympic skeleton champion Lizzy Yarnold were others to have called for a similar move from their countries.

http://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1044780/sochi-stripped-of-international-bobsleigh-and-skeleton-federation-world-championships

King Boonen said:
thehog said:
King Boonen said:

If you want to discuss other nations doping go to a different thread. There are plenty available.

You'll have to excuse me but when Fancy Bear began leaking information you were telling everyone not to have a Fancy Bears thread, so I take what you say with the proverbial grain of salt.

Reedie and Coe enabling Russian doping is much a part of the story as the Russians actually doping. They are not separate aspect, one doesn't exist without the other.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Why only the Russians? You know that from what we have seen uncovered by leaks and confessions of the busted ----there are other countries involved in systematic doping. It is obvious. Why argue the fact.

Travis needs to get after these Russians though cause they are surely out of control.

thehog said:
King Boonen said:
thehog said:
King Boonen said:

You'll have to excuse me but when Fancy Bear began leaking information you were telling everyone not to have a Fancy Bears thread, so I take what you say with the proverbial grain of salt.

Reedie and Coe enabling Russian doping is much a part of the story as the Russians actually doping. They are not separate aspect, one doesn't exist without the other.

Excuse me but you're going to have to show me where I said that.

You did not mention Reedie or Coe did you? You mentioned Brailsford and Wiggins.

gooner said:

Sochi has been stripped of the International Bobsleigh and Skeleton Federation (IBSF) World Championships today, with another location "to be determined" in coming days.

In a statement this evening, the IBSF Executive Committee felt that "during this difficult time it is prudent not to organise such an event in Russia".

The decision was made to "allow athletes and coaches from all nations to participate in a competition that focuses on sport rather than accusations and discussions - whether justified or not".

They added that the Russian Bobsleigh Federation has put a "great effort" in the preparation of the World Championships, but that the "current climate would make it nearly impossible to appreciate the efforts of the Organising Committee to host a great event or the quality of the Sanki Sliding Center as one of the best tracks in the world".

The decision comes after South Korea, Germany and Austria joined Latvia and athletes in Britain and United States in calling for the event to be moved from Sochi in response to evidence of state sponsored Russian doping.

Last week's McLaren Report produced damning evidence of a doping manipulation scheme in which more than 1,000 Russian athletes are thought to have been implicated at events including the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympic Games.

Latvia, home of the Olympic silver medallist and world champion Martins Dukurs, had already withdrawn from skeleton events.

American athletes and Britain's reigning Olympic skeleton champion Lizzy Yarnold were others to have called for a similar move from their countries.

http://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1044780/sochi-stripped-of-international-bobsleigh-and-skeleton-federation-world-championships

You whine and moan about the Brits being bashed, but have no problem lambasting the Russians. Yes, this is Russia specific thread, but goodness me....pot meet kettle. Oh sorry, you need evidence of Brits doping, right?

Re:

Glenn_Wilson said:
Why only the Russians? You know that from what we have seen uncovered by leaks and confessions of the busted ----there are other countries involved in systematic doping. It is obvious. Why argue the fact.

Travis needs to get after these Russians though cause they are surely out of control.

Because this is purely political. I'll specifically add a sport I've been involved with, cross country skiing. In 2002 two top Russian women were busted at the Salt Lake City Olympics. Both of these women were two of the best in the world. One of those was one of the most successful in modern cross country, having started her career in the late 80's and was winning medals at every major event. The announcement of their positives was while the Olympics were still going on. The top woman won the 30km event, the ribbon event of the Olympic program for that sport. Now without going into too much detail on the history of doping in that sport, and the widespread use of PED's from everybody that was anybody in the sport at the time, I'll say why weren't the Russians sanctioned at the time? Because politically, the Russians had a 'decent' relationship with the US. Yes, Putin was in the early years of his first mandate, and so was Bush, but there was no real tension between the two countries.

I very much doubt the powers that be care much about 'clean sport,' and 'fair play.' It's about lining their pockets. Just like McLaren. He is a longtime professional lawyer. He knows very well how to manipulate words and make something out of nothing. He is closely tied with Richard Pound, another Canadian that was head of WADA 1999-2007. The other member of this commission is a German. Who are the biggest cheerleaders of getting the Russians sanctioned and banned from everything? Americans, Canadians and Germans.

The ultimate goal is to strip the Russians of the 2018 soccer world cup. Why do you think last years raids on FIFA happened? It wasn't to 'clean up' the sport or make sure there is no corruption, it was to get leads on how to best strip the Russians of the world cup. Also notice how the investigation(s) on prior bidding doesn't go beyond 1998. In 1994 the US hosted the world cup. Why didn't they look into that bid? We already know about the corruption surrounding the 2002 SLC bid, which they obviously won. But hey, Mittens Romney ran for president, so of course they weren't going to stop him via the 2002 Winter Olympics scandal!

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site

BullsFan22 said:
gooner said:

You whine and moan about the Brits being bashed, but have no problem lambasting the Russians. Yes, this is Russia specific thread, but goodness me....pot meet kettle. Oh sorry, you need evidence of Brits doping, right?

Indeed it is.

Evidence. Oh my, how dare anyone want that.

Glenn_Wilson said:
Irondan said:
glassmoon said:
Russia showing that it's serious about cleaning up it's image.... :rolleyes:
No doubt!

But honestly why the hate towards the Eki? Because he is a Russian? There are quite a few dopers in Cycling today at many levels.
No hating going on here, I'm just simply calling it like I see it.

TRENDING THREADS