• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Ryder Hesjedal Discussion Thread

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
webvan said:
?

Hope he doesn't do an Evans 2002 when he lost 15 minutes and the Giro...Basso and Scarponi are certainly going to attack very hard at the foot of the Stelvio, they don't have much left to lose, especially Basso as Scarponi still needs to prove he can win the Giro on the road, it could be deadly...

they will go on the mortirolo. it simply is impossible to ride the mortirolo without causing a massive selections.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
If you want to have a good laugh read through this thread from 2 years ago:

Canucks: How 'bout our Ryder, eh?

Some very high profile current and past forum members turned out to be very wrong. I guess that just goes to prove that EVERYTHING is possible :D

I am just kidding though and not trying to expose anyone since even I myself have probably been wrong before. Seriously don't know how anyone could have seen this coming but big respect to Hesjedal, he rode a brave race so far and deserves the win

Christian said:
If you want to have a good laugh read through this thread from 2 years ago:

Canucks: How 'bout our Ryder, eh?

Some very high profile current and past forum members turned out to be very wrong. I guess that just goes to prove that EVERYTHING is possible :D

I am just kidding though and not trying to expose anyone since even I myself have probably been wrong before. Seriously don't know how anyone could have seen this coming but big respect to Hesjedal, he rode a brave race so far and deserves the win
I was wrong, although in my defence, my case was based on the type of climbs Zomegnan was putting in the Giro at the time.

I was wrong about Hesjedal, I didn't think he had this in him. In fact, I still consider him an even more unlikely GT winner than Cobo, but that's simply because Hesjedal has gone about accumulating his palmarès in quite an unassuming way, that Tour top 10 notwithstanding, and so I simply hadn't noticed a lot of his good performances, while some of Cobo's (often incredibly suspect) big performances to that date had been incredibly visible; there are a few top 10s in Ryder's palmarès in stage races that I simply don't recall him even being at (8th at Tirreno 2009, 6th at Catalunya 2010) and races I wasn't sure how seriously to take (5th, California 2010). It seemed to me that he was predominantly a one day rider who had some decent qualities for stage races but nothing out of the ordinary, who could pick up some fairly good but perhaps anonymous top 10s. But clearly his skills for the race were better than I had suspected, perhaps aided by his being nearly 30 when he broke through meaning he hasn't been as burned out as some young talents who broke through early.

Hesjedal will likely win this Giro, unless he has a 2002 Evans moment tomorrow, which I don't expect. He has been aided by some rather timid racing (Scarponi admitted as much a couple of days ago, that he wished they'd put more pressure on Hesjedal when he wasn't looking as strong earlier in the race, perhaps underestimating him in the mountains), but he is also a strong rider, who has also gone all out to be in the right form at this point in the race, and has timed it perfectly, and is achieving more than most of us could have expected.

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I just don't know what to say. After his attack on Saturday I was like, okay it was good, but win the Giro? Ah, max a podium. But after today? I liked him before, but now I can't say what I feel. Ryder, just win this!

richwagmn said:
Well, good plan then. God knows, Garmin needs a big win at some point. That team seems to be a runner up far too often.

Nice ride by Ryder today though. Attacking like that at the end will win you fans. Sitting on wheels - not so much (see Levi).
Yep, anyone who loves cycling had to be impressed today. Hope he doesn't pull an Evans 2002 tomorrow...can't be ruled out if Basso wakes up and goes all out in the Mortirolo at the risk of cracking himself llater ike Simoni did a few years ago.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Today is a nail in the coffin for Purito. 17 seconds is gonna kill him. Ryder is a former national TT champion, so unless Ryder crashed hard, he should be able to win it all. Seeing a Canadian flag flying at the end of a Grand Tour will be unprecedented. And it'll help raise the profile of cycling in a hockey-mad country like Canada.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Red Rick said:
Are there Canadians in here, i'd like to know how the Canadian people think about Hesjedal (almost) winning the Giro

Cycling is not a big sport in Canada, though we have a great number of competitive riders. It's a hockey country, plus baseball, basketball and American football. So Ryder winning the Giro will have tremendous impact to Canadian cycling. Not quite the kind of impact like Lance had on American cycling by winning the Tour 7 times, but hopefully more like Cadel had on Australian cycling by winning the Tour.

I'm excited!

TheEnoculator said:
Today is a nail in the coffin for Purito. 17 seconds is gonna kill him. Ryder is a former national TT champion, so unless Ryder crashed hard, he should be able to win it all. Seeing a Canadian flag flying at the end of a Grand Tour will be unprecedented. And it'll help raise the profile of cycling in a hockey-mad country like Canada.
Hesjedal is not a great TTist either, I'd rate him in the "fairly decent" category, but even that should be enough to win this thing. Everything in this Giro is just going perfect for him, these last two days should be no exception.

I already thought he was a bargain for the CQ game :)

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
webvan said:
Yep, anyone who loves cycling had to be impressed today. Hope he doesn't pull an Evans 2002 tomorrow...can't be ruled out if Basso wakes up and goes all out in the Mortirolo at the risk of cracking himself llater ike Simoni did a few years ago.

Complete possibility. Tomorrow should be outstanding. If you're Rodriguez or Basso what's the point of being second or third. Go for it and see what happens.

Along those lines, I like what Contador said when asked about a possible podium position last year. His response was that only winning matters, not getting on the podium.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Rodriguez still will gauge himself he never even podium in GT before, but Basso is another story, he definitely will go all out , he already is in 4th position with nothing to lose.

richwagmn said:
Complete possibility. Tomorrow should be outstanding. If you're Rodriguez or Basso what's the point of being second or third. Go for it and see what happens.

Along those lines, I like what Contador said when asked about a possible podium position last year. His response was that only winning matters, not getting on the podium.

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Wow this is great for Canadian cycling...he isn't in Bauer's league but this put him 2nd best by a long shot!
Killer performance today.
still 2 more day's!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cheers

May 26, 2010
Visit site
CanSprint said:
Wow this is great for Canadian cycling...he isn't in Bauer's league but this put him 2nd best by a long shot!
Killer performance today.
still 2 more day's!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cheers

If he wins Il Giro, a GT, he leaps Buaer by a long way!

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Bavarianrider said:
If he wins thos one, than that's one of the greeatest feats in cycling history! The big guy from Canada destroying the small southern climber sin their own terrain.

Would be an even better story if he rode for Spidertech :D

TRENDING THREADS