• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Ryder Hesjedal Discussion Thread

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 26, 2009
Visit site
Ripper said:
Chapeau! Chapeau! Mothertrucking chapeau!

This is awesome. I was off to a race today and was stopped several times by folks seeing me on my bike and exclaiming about Ryder's win.

Absolutely superb!

And not only am I impressed with the win, but like so many others, about the way he rode the entire race.

Similar thing happened to me on a training ride on a sunny Monday, here in Alberta. I was wearing club kit, which makes me look more like an pro rider despite the fact that my actual riding does not, but I had several random people excitedly calling out Hesjedal's name and both "Giro" and "Italy" as I rode past. This is in start and pleasant contrast to how people would randomly shout "Lance Armstrong" when I was training back in the early 2000s.

It would be better yet if they shouted MY name, but still...

Eric8-A said:
He said the story of him winning the Giro has been front page news in alot of sources in Canada.
It's great to see how much coverage it's getting in Canada. However, from what I've read on the online newspapers it seems that many of them have written stuff like: "now when Hesjedal has won the Giro d'Italia, he's one of the biggest favourites for the TDF". This is very unfortunate as it's not only far from the truth but also puts unnecessary pressure on Hesjedal's shoulders. The Giro-Tour is impossible and it will only lead to disappointment for all parts if people believe otherwise.

He might as well skip the TDF and aim for the Vuelta instead. There he would have a good chance of finishing 25 minutes behind Contador (aka 2nd place).

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
maltiv said:
It's great to see how much coverage it's getting in Canada. However, from what I've read on the online newspapers it seems that many of them have written stuff like: "now when Hesjedal has won the Giro d'Italia, he's one of the biggest favourites for the TDF". This is very unfortunate as it's not only far from the truth but also puts unnecessary pressure on Hesjedal's shoulders. The Giro-Tour is impossible and it will only lead to disappointment for all parts if people believe otherwise.

He might as well skip the TDF and aim for the Vuelta instead. There he would have a good chance of finishing 25 minutes behind Contador (aka 2nd place).

Just your typical media hype. But even if he does go to the Tour, he'll be in service of either Tommy D or Vandevelde. And it's probable that he won't be gunning for a shot at the GC at the Tour for another two years since it's likely that he'll return to the Giro next year to defend his title.

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Has ryder been on the front pages today?

He was most of the front page on the Globe & Mail, one of our two major national newspapers. But I only know that since it is sitting in our lunchroom. I've no idea what our local papers did as I get all my news on the internet.

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
silverrocket said:
Similar thing happened to me on a training ride on a sunny Monday, here in Alberta. I was wearing club kit, which makes me look more like an pro rider despite the fact that my actual riding does not, but I had several random people excitedly calling out Hesjedal's name and both "Giro" and "Italy" as I rode past. This is in start and pleasant contrast to how people would randomly shout "Lance Armstrong" when I was training back in the early 2000s.

I commute to work in lycra/club kit every day, and no one in my office has even mentioned the Giro over the past three weeks. Apart from some guy who passed me wearing an old Maglia Rosa on the bike path during Ryder's first stint in pink who yelled go Hesjedal at me after I commented on his jersey, I've seen no evidence in person (I have seen mentions on the news) that anyone in my city knew what was going on.

I'm in Calgary, so it's nice to hear that it is out there somewhere.

maltiv said:
It's great to see how much coverage it's getting in Canada. However, from what I've read on the online newspapers it seems that many of them have written stuff like: "now when Hesjedal has won the Giro d'Italia, he's one of the biggest favourites for the TDF".

You clearly have not read neither candian newspapers nor this thread. I spent all day yesterday checking every newspaper in canada with a website and very few had anything like that, a point i even made a few pages back.

Jan 2, 2010
Visit site
silverrocket said:

Great story! At least many Canadians now know the name of a cyclist other than Armstrong and a race other than the TDF so it's a pretty big improvement.

maltiv said:

Canadian media are also hyping him for the Olympics which is even sillier given the route and the fact that we only get to send one rider. He's likely to always skip the Vuelta now that it conflicts with the Quebec and Montreal races as well as some nice lumpy US races.

cineteq said:
Hmmm...I wondered the same thing. In fact, I haven't seen anything on him in Canada until now. I'm used to how they pronounce it in Europe. :confused:

i'm not a language expert, but for me it seems like that's the english version of the french pronunciation of hesjedal.

while in europe everybody is pronouncing his name like if he's a dutchman :D

Jan 2, 2010
Visit site
cineteq said:
Hmmm...I wondered the same thing. In fact, I haven't seen anything on him in Canada until now. I'm used to how they pronounce it in Europe. :confused:

I've heard him introduce himself by name and that's not how he pronounces it. He emphasizes the first syllable.

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Not that this is relevant to how Ryder wants to pronounce his own name, but the place Hesjedal (where his name originates) is a little valley out west in Norway, pronounced something like "Heshe-dal."

"Sj" is just another way of writing "sh."

The "Hesh" and "dal" is pronounced sort of like in that Canadian TV clip, close enough. Emphasis is on "Heshe." You just replace their "jiyah" middle part with a short "e".

Heshedal, basically. Bit easier to say than "Hesh-jiyah-dal". But if that's how he says it then it's all good. :)

During the TdF last year, Ryder got a videogram from his old Hesjedal relatives on Norwegian TV. Ryder's eyes got teary, was nice to see.

icebreaker said:
Wrong coast then.

Ryder has been a big story out on this end for a lot of years. We knew he was going to hit it BIG at some point.

Actually wrong timing too, I used to live in Vancouver, but left on 2007. So what's the way it's pronounced over there anyway? :)

Nielsa said:
Not that this is relevant to how Ryder wants to pronounce his own name, but the place Hesjedal (where his name originates) is a little valley out west in Norway, pronounced something like "Heshe-dal."

The "Hesh" and "dal" is pronounced sort of like in that Canadian TV clip, close enough. Emphasis is on "Heshe." You just replace their "jiyah" middle part with a short "e".

Heshedal, basically. Bit easier to say than "Hesh-jiyah-dal". But if that's how he says it then it's all good. :)

During the TdF last year, Ryder got a videogram from his old Hesjedal relatives on Norwegian TV. Ryder's eyes got teary, was nice to see.
Great info, thanks. Love to see videogram.

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
http://www.tv2.no/sport/sykkel/tdf/...her-maa-hesjedal-toerke-en-taare-3539095.html

:)

No subs. Basically the old gent is saying he's following Ryder's career, and that he's always welcome to visit, and all the best of luck etc.

You can actually see they're relatives. :D

Edit: Actually, listen to how Ryder says Hesjedal in the end there. He says it like the Norwegians do.

Edit 2: Maybe not teary eyed? I did watch it in HD last year and I think I remember his eyes were a bit wet. But I could be wrong :D.

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Nielsa said:

Heshedal, basically. .

My Mum is Norwegian and she agrees with you Nielsa.

Its pronounced "Heshedal" just like you said, great description, thank you.

Bravo Ryder, has now entered the exclusive club of GT winners...better late than never, since he rides for JV that will have to be because the competition was weak, like when CVDV finished 4th in 2008. Will be interesting to see how he does on the TDF as the 2010 and 2011 Giro winners ran out of gas in the third week...and the competition will be stronger.

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
webvan said:
Will be interesting to see how he does on the TDF as the 2010 and 2011 Giro winners ran out of gas in the third week...and the competition will be stronger.

Its clear he won't do well. His role will be support and maybe a go for a stage win. Anyone who expects him to battle for GT doesn't understand current GT racing, or racing for JV.

My guess is he'll end up 33rd.

King Hesjedal.