• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Ryder Hesjedal Discussion Thread

Page 17 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
His top 10 placements actually are a big FU to the likes of Levi Leipheimer as you'll remember them. He knows his grand tour victory was a fluke and he most likely will never ever by able to equal it. But no matter what misfortune arrives on him: nevermind! He just says to himself : "I'm a former Giro winner. I have to show myself and see what I can get out of it!"

Nice attitude it is!

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
His Giro win was no fluke. It was the one race where Garmin got it right and bad luck stayed away.
IMO I just don't think JV keeps his eye on the ball.
I reckon Ryder could have won more at another team. Garmin just don't play the team game as good as their rivals. To many climbers and riders who can win a stage, every time they enter a GT they never do it with the total conviction of supporting 1 rider for overall . if they had proper focus on one rider they may have won more.

May 26, 2015
Visit site
This sums up Ryder's team support this year at the Giro.

"We knew there was a chance that a break would go to the line,” explained Charly Wegelius. “We also knew that Ryder has been riding extremely well, so we wanted to have riders in the break for either the chance to go for the stage if the gap was big or to work for Ryder. He’s going so fast uphill that the only way our riders can stay with him to help is if they have a head start on the climb.”

Unless it's flat he's on his own.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Ryder going again today ,Awesome stuff. How the Fu$$ does he lose so much time.
Perhaps he should start riding a week before everyone else in order to peak at the right time.

Re:

ray j willings said:
Ryder going again today ,Awesome stuff. How the Fu$$ does he lose so much time.
Perhaps he should start riding a week before everyone else in order to peak at the right time.

The Astana attack the first day., he was not in the front, there was a hot day... he was close to close the gap, but he couldnt.

Of course the first climbs he was to lose some time, as in the TTT, but he could recover now at the end...

He was in the correct breakaways, but this Giro has never stopped, some people as Kreuziger, Basso, Cataldo, are off to cacth people as Hesjedal...too much energy wasted for anything.

In a normal Giro Hesjedal would be maybe pink even with that 5 minutes lost the first day...but as we see, the pure climbers as Aru if have the day can beat him...

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
In a normal Giro, Hesjedal is absolutely nowhere near the maglia rosa, and indeed, in this edition he is once again light years off the lead. But once every hundred years, the stars align, and a rider like ryder can defy astromonical odds to win a race like the Giro.

Re:

Dazed and Confused said:
If Cannondale allows him to stage hunt in the tour without looking after Talansky, he will add spice to the race methinks.

Yea, I agree. Pra Loup stage would be for him. Perhaps he will start off as a dom, but if Talansky fails to perform Hesjedal should already be unleashed come the Alps.

Maybe he will be able to even go for a GC in the TdF.

I remember that in 2012 he seemed to be in the very good shape in the first few stages, but then crashed out. And in 2010 he was great on cobbles, so that may play for his favour also.

Not that I'm convinced he can do that, but I also wasn't convinced he would be among 5 strongest climbers in the second half of this Giro.

So Ryder says he's not interested in moving up a couple places in the GC, yet yesterday he burned a few matches to bridge up to Contador to gain a couple places in the GC. I know TV time is important, especially when you're pacing the race leader to the line, but c'mon.
He should have stayed with the Aru group yesterday and daydreamed the whole way home about a stage win today.

Re:

the delgados said:
So Ryder says he's not interested in moving up a couple places in the GC, yet yesterday he burned a few matches to bridge up to Contador to gain a couple places in the GC. I know TV time is important, especially when you're pacing the race leader to the line, but c'mon.
He should have stayed with the Aru group yesterday and daydreamed the whole way home about a stage win today.

He is not in the Giro, he is in his own race, something we cant maybe understand.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts