• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

sagan VS young cav

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sagan is Definitely a better rider than Cav was at age 21, and he definitely will be regarded as the better rider at the end of their careers barring any career ending injury to Sagan now.
Sagan has a very good chance of winning all five monuments and can be competitive in different type of courses.

CQmanager said:
Long, flat, wide boulevards Cav may win.
Anything technical, with any kind of moderate hill before or during the sprint Sagan wins.

The same applies to sagan vs kittel (although marcel is 2yrs older I think). Last year at tour of poland, kittel won all 3 pure sprinter stages, sagan won two, those which included hills + overall. Interesting fact was that kiittel won also last sprint in krakow, which was a bit tricky and included a section of coblles I think. But this could be also because of sagan's celebration of overall victory at the finish line ( which was really close to dan martin, just a few secs he gained that day on bonus sprints).

TourOfTexas said:
Have they ever gone head to head?
They have actually.

Starting in 2010, Cavendish won stage 2 of Tour de Romandie where Sagan finished 5th.

Then we have to go all the way forward to 2012 before we got a real showdown between the two as they both sprinted for the win on the second stage of Tirreno-Adriatico. Cavendish won this stage while The Beast from East finished 4th.

I believe these are the only two instances.

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
Froome19 said:
Tbh very excited for the Tour sprints between Sagan, Greipel, Cav and Kittel

You have to throw in the others as well...Goss, Petacchi(sic?),...we know Farrar will get in the way....is Ferrari riding?

I can't wait for the drag racing to begin :)!

Didn't read all the comments, but the difference, Sagan can climb coming from his mountain bike background.

Cav and Farrar can't make it over a speed bump without blowing up and putting on their cry baby faces.

Sorry, I'm Slovakian, biased.

zigmeister said:
Didn't read all the comments, but the difference, Sagan can climb coming from his mountain bike background.

Cav and Farrar can't make it over a speed bump without blowing up and putting on their cry baby faces.

Sorry, I'm Slovakian, biased.

For Farrar, getting 5th in RVV is no small feat for a sprinter, he's one of the stronger sprinters but his top speed is lacking and his positioning is bad

Don't see how you can compare the two, they're fundamentally different sorts of rider which makes any comparison meaningless.

Sagan is a huge talent and I predict that he'll be cleaning up in the Classics very soon. However, on a flat bunch sprint I think that Cavendish will always be faster. Horses for courses.

TRENDING THREADS