• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Salty Bike Shorts

Apr 10, 2009
Visit site
Last summer after a bad ride (I felt kind of sick afterwards) my wife pointed out that my bike shorts appeared to have salt all over them.

Anyone run into this or have any ideas?

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
My shorts have white stripes after every single ride.... no kidding. I also used to suffer of cramps so I made the connection of dehidratation and cramps. In my personal experience the cramps happened from the salt (in a lesser way) but mostly from my lack of endurance training.
Don't worry about the salt, if you have a normal diet, you already consume enough of it.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I guess you are a fellow sweat hog :D

Its most noticeable on black shorts and other black colored clothing. On very long rides in the summer I even notice salt deposits (as I call them) on my arms. If you don't clean up your helmet like I have to, the straps turn white where there's build up is heaviest, nothing some soap and water can't prevent, if you don't do it the straps get super nasty after a while.

I've started to use that new deodorant detergent Win (not an advert, I'm sure there are other brands) which helps keep the kit from reaking due to the excessive sweat.

Notes from a fellow sweat hog.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
ElChingon said:

Its most noticeable on black shorts and other black colored clothing. On very long rides in the summer I even notice salt deposits (as I call them) on my arms. If you don't clean up your helmet like I have to, the straps turn white where there's build up is heaviest, nothing some soap and water can't prevent, if you don't do it the straps get super nasty after a while.

I've started to use that new deodorant detergent Win (not an advert, I'm sure there are other brands) which helps keep the kit from reaking due to the excessive sweat.

+1.
I'm much the same way -- after a good summertime ride, or even coming home from work in the summer, my shirts look like they're tye-dyed; helmet pads and straps look like they've been bleached.

Oddly enough, I also discovered that Gatorade tastes better when I'm like this....lol

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
ElChingon said:

worth pointing out that salt is pretty abrasive, so when it's in your clothes/straps or whatever it will increase the wear dramatically if left on/in there. and on the Gatorade etc, much cheaper to make your own home brew with essentially sugar, some salt and weak fruit juice for example. heaps of recipes on the net....:)

TRENDING THREADS