• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Sam Oomen Discussion

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Valv.Piti said:
His stage placing consistency is pretty mind boggling for a 22-year old.

I don't think he has GT winning potential, but I think he has the potential to be a very solid top-5/top-3 GT rider alá Pinot. Hopefully sans the bad days.
We'll see. This was better than some 22 years olds who went on to win GTs and worse than some who didn't. Personally I find him being his strongest at the end of a Giro that has been this insane very promising. But there's no need to put that kind of expectations on him yet.

I guess he's still some time away from leading a GT on his own, and I hope he gets some decent targets in the rest of the year. Hoping he doesn't go to the Vuelta.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
His stage placing consistency is pretty mind boggling for a 22-year old.

I don't think he has GT winning potential, but I think he has the potential to be a very solid top-5/top-3 GT rider alá Pinot. Hopefully sans the bad days.
I don't see him winning a GT as well, but we're gonna see more of him. I see him being a contender for AGR/LBL and perhaps some WC RR's as well.

Re: Re:

Bardamu said:
Armchair cyclist said:
Great GT for him, plenty to look forward to.

But am I the only one who looks forward to him being known as "The Walrus"?
The Walrus? Why?

Oology = study of eggs, and many associated terms have the same prefix (from Greek ᾠόν, whence Latin ovum)

Oomen: he is the eggman, he is...

The Walrus

(also has nice irony for a skinny climber)

He's a solid TTer, already climbing with the best on some days, must have good bike handling to be always up there even in sprint stages, recovery is great. At 22 years old.

If he's not a potential GT winner, who is (apart from the colombian youngsters)?

Armchair cyclist said:
Bardamu said:
Armchair cyclist said:

The Walrus? Why?

Oology = study of eggs, and many associated terms have the same prefix (from Greek ᾠόν, whence Latin ovum)

The Walrus

........... what?
:p

Re:

SafeBet said:
He's a solid TTer, already climbing with the best on some days, must have good bike handling to be always up there even in sprint stages, recovery is great. At 22 years old.

If he's not a potential GT winner, who is (apart from the colombian youngsters)?
Good question. He might very well be a GT-winner, but I just dont get that vibe from him. For some reason I don't think he will get that top climbing level, but as the past has shown, you don't necessarily need that in order to win GTs. Consistency and a little good luck can be enough to win, especially when you are this relatively all-round and is very good at positioning.

LaFlorecita said:
Armchair cyclist said:
Bardamu said:
Armchair cyclist said:

The Walrus? Why?

The Walrus

........... what?
Expert, texpert choking smokers
Don't you think the joker laughs at you

LaFlorecita said:
Armchair cyclist said:
Bardamu said:
Armchair cyclist said:

The Walrus? Why?

The Walrus

........... what?

Makes more sense than the "Flying Black Sausage", or indeed a dog or a shark.

Goo goo g'joob

Red Rick said:
Armchair cyclist said:
Red Rick said:
Seriously, Lo Squalo fits Nibali so freaking well it's not even funny.

Maybe, but my proposal is no more contrived than calling Mikel Nieve "King of North".
Actually his team called him both Mikel Snow and Frosty on the backstage pass video of yesterday

Both reasonable enough, but the leap from that to applying a the title of a character from a non-mainstream TV programme who happens to have the same surname (after translation), but a different forename, is a less than obvious move, to say the least.

So, anyone up for trying to get Oomen=The Walrus into the cycling mainstream?