• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Samu Sanchez

May 20, 2010
Visit site
As i wrote in that Stage 8 thread, he is a rider who usually does his best in the 3rd week of a GT.

As i said before the tour started, i expect him to get top 5, maybe even 3rd place if Evans cracks and with a bit of luck.

Shame he didnt get the stage win today though, he should have let Andy pull him up since he would have done it to put time into Contador anyways. Very tactically bad move, the stage was his to lose after they gapped everyone and entered last k.

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
He's not so good at long time trials, I think. But he was looking good today and he can certainly climb... I suppose he could podium if he time trials well.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Climbing said:
Sanchez said after the stage that he got a cramp in the last 20 meters.
He looked very good if you ask me.

That makes sense, since he stopped pedaling just before the line. He did a half-stroke and then quit when two more hard strokes would have done it - Schleck was surprised at first he had won.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Strong enough to podium. As long as the TT doesn't hurt him.

And after the disappointment of nearly having today's stage, he will certainly be hunting for a stage victory. Stage 15 looks taylor-made for him.

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm going with Samu doing Top 5... he can climb very well not in a SUUUPER level but he can do the job... the TT is what he can't do quite good but he is better in TT than Andy... he looks good, he is a 3rd weeker in the GT and he is doing pretty well... Euskatel said that they don't have GC pretentions but I think that Samu has other ideas :D

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Ryaguas said:
I'm going with Samu doing Top 5... he can climb very well not in a SUUUPER level but he can do the job... the TT is what he can't do quite good but he is better in TT than Andy... he looks good, he is a 3rd weeker in the GT and he is doing pretty well... Euskatel said that they don't have GC pretentions but I think that Samu has other ideas :D

This TT is not the same as the TT at the end of this Tour, but it shows he absolutely can ride a good TT.

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Sanchez is very good. He is probably the best downhiller in this years TdF, and will be able to make time on mountainstages that end in the valley.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
The only rider who looked stronger than Sanchez today was Schleck, and that was just barely. He's a better TT'er than Schleck and a excellent descender. I think it will come down to Sanchez and Kreuziger for third.

On Eurosport, they were trying to figure out if Sammy Sanchez was still in the lead group on the way up the final climb. They weren't sure, but one of the announcers - I think it was Kelly, but I'm not sure - said that he didn't even think that Sanchez could finish in the top 10. I didn't hear any follow-up on this when Sanchez barely lost the stage, but I thought that it was an overly harsh assessment. No one is tipping him for the win, but he should be able to at least watch his 6th place from 2008.

hrotha said:
He was great but showed a pretty poor grasp of tactics.

I still think he's wasting his natural talents by focusing on a GT (be it the Tour or the Vuelta like in previous years) instead of on the classics.

He was second in the Vuelta and just showed that he is one of the strongest climbers in the sport's premier event. How exactly is he wasting his natural talents? He's competed in the classics in previous years but where he's shown the biggest progress is his efforts in the grand tours. It's possible that had he not crashed early in the Vuelta that he may have won instead of Valverde.
I'm a bit biased though. I'm a big Samuel Sanchez fan.:D

Angliru said:
He was second in the Vuelta and just showed that he is one of the strongest climbers in the sport's premier event. How exactly is he wasting his natural talents? He's competed in the classics in previous years but where he's shown the biggest progress is his efforts in the grand tours. It's possible that had he not crashed early in the Vuelta that he may have won instead of Valverde.
I'm a bit biased though. I'm a big Samuel Sanchez fan.:D
Personal opinion. I don't see him doing better than 5th in the TdF and I don't rate a Vuelta podium above a LBL, for example. Samu is one of those riders who could win almost anything he rode from March to October. Almost. ;)

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Last 4 GTs (3 vueltas and 1 tdf) i watched him he would always **** up the first week, and then turn out to be the strongest guy in the last week (in vueltas) or at least one of the strongest (tdf). So this is looking pretty good for him, if he follows that trend.

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
I got into an argument with somebody who claimed he'd come 12th at best. Notwithstanding me being a huge mark for all things Basque (I know he's Asturian but anybody who pulls on the orange is an adopted son of the Basque country) I think he has the talent to podium.

probably me, and yes, i stick with that prediction

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
NOt sure about Sammy but I like his style. He and Andy were impressive but we mus not get too ahead of ourselves and see the bigger picture. The gc!:D

What is this "GC" of which you speak? Rabobank is leading the Team competition - that what counts.

Thee_chisa said:
probably me, and yes, i stick with that prediction

You also said that Wiggins would top 5, and Radioshack would place 2 people in the top 10. That Menchov would scrape top 10 at best and be behind Vino overall. Care to revise any of those, or is it all going as you expected? The only thing in the GC battle that's surprised me is Schleck being ahead after the cobbled stage.

Libertine Seguros said:
You also said that Wiggins would top 5, and Radioshack would place 2 people in the top 10. That Menchov would scrape top 10 at best and be behind Vino overall. Care to revise any of those, or is it all going as you expected? The only thing in the GC battle that's surprised me is Schleck being ahead after the cobbled stage.

you knew frank schleck was going to leave the race on the cobbles?;)