• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Santambrogio tests positive for EPO

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Telmisartan new said:
Oh well,if Cookson wins its business as usual then.:(

Tygart shouldn't have called Postal the most sophisticated team doping program ever,its yet to be unmasked as we all know.

More sophisticated in that they didn't get "caught" one week after the race. Same sh*t, different generation. So much for putting the Lance era in the past, Pat.

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Trudgin said:
Makes sense that after Di Luca was caught 2nd rest day that he'd probably ease up...:(

Or that the numerous tests in the first week spooked him. Or that since he tested positive after stage one the benefit of whatever he was using prior to the race started to tank. Or some combination of all of the above.

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
"The UCI doping controls are there to catch the dopers when nobody else will stop them. It's wonderful to see we can trust the system." David Millar (Garmin-Sharp)"

lol Yea it's amazing we can catch the use of epo now after they have been using it for about 340 years.

Bannockburn said:
Or that the numerous tests in the first week spooked him. Or that since he tested positive after stage one the benefit of whatever he was using prior to the race started to tank. Or some combination of all of the above.
I've always favoured the theory that the Giro organizers told them to tone it down so as to not turn the race into a complete farce. They had their stage win, but they shouldn't go for the podium.

May 24, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:
I've always favoured the theory that the Giro organizers told them to tone it down so as to not turn the race into a complete farce. They had their stage win, but they shouldn't go for the podium.

Maybe in years gone past but I don't think Acquarone is that kind of player, Zomegan maybe but not Acquarone

Trudgin said:
Somewhere in the clinic, someone is calling out every rider in the peloton when they have a good day... So it's not really worth mentioning that it was said in the clinic..

Christ, there's has been doubt placed over everyone by the Clinic... I'm guilty as well, just a bit selective

What is the clinic? Everytime someone on here attacks a rider that counts as the entire clinic attacking them?:confused:

There are a few posters on here who believe everyone is doping so by definition therefore the clinic accuses everyone.

With santa however as with Contador, Armstrong, Wiggins, it wasn't 1 person or 3 people but hundreds.

Average late mid career rider dopes and stands out enough to win / challenge on mountain stages and draw suspicion on himself.

Does this mean everyone else - people who have podiumed in grand tours and / or won them, and are likely much more talented - is actually doping far more than Santambrogio, in such a way that cannot be detected by the blood passport so that only dodgy Italians (but not Nibali) microdosing EPO get caught?

A rhetorical question for the Clinic I suppose.

argyllflyer said:
Average late mid career rider dopes and stands out enough to win / challenge on mountain stages and draw suspicion on himself.

Does this mean everyone else - people who have podiumed in grand tours and / or won them, and are likely much more talented - is actually doping far more than Santambrogio, in such a way that cannot be detected by the blood passport so that only dodgy Italians (but not Nibali) microdosing EPO get caught?

A rhetorical question for the Clinic I suppose.

Cobo, Froome, Mosquera.

Eshnar said:
Di Luca was caught during the non-conventional rest day of stage 19. Santambrogio had already cracked on stage 16.
You are right. the ease up because of Di Luca's positive does not apply. But the increase in tests in the first two weeks could have been an alarm on him, thinking out loud. Then the ease up came and the results showed during the third week. Or maybe he was warned. Who knows.

Santa has got to have one of the worst dope faces ever...that man was retaining something SERIOUS.
Giro2013_14_etape_Mauro_Santambrogio_podiet__.jpg

BAR101_Italy_Cycling_Giro.jpg-G5GFPUE7.1.jpg

For the sake of comparison...
220px-Mauro_Santambrogio.jpg

Trudgin said:
Somewhere in the clinic, someone is calling out every rider in the peloton when they have a good day... So it's not really worth mentioning that it was said in the clinic..

Christ, there's has been doubt placed over everyone by the Clinic... I'm guilty as well, just a bit selective

In the clinic the regulars are important, lot of people post and there are more who reads it. The opinion of the hardened, cynical SOB are usually what is reffered to as "the clinic"...Jv says there are 12 posters but i think "the clinic" is a bit higher than that :p

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Well this proves that not only EPO works and that no matter how many tests are devised against it or to identify it, its benefits outweigh the risks of getting caught. Those riders still using it know they can get away with it and are, the testing if its still going on is still the same random testing and I'm sure there are still riders who can find out if they're on the random test list and plan accordingly, its not like that secret test scenario has changed. The supposed old unused PED EPO was put on the dopers shelves as a momento but as we see it has not been put up on the shelves and is still helping some get a contract and earn a living way past the official post 2006 there is no doping in cycling time line. The changes are proving to be in pro cycling marketing not the reality of what is going on or still going on. Is it dumb to use EPO? Well if you add up the salary earned with it and the statistics of getting caught and if caught its totally worth it.

All the riders who are now coming out saying they knew or had a hint of what was going on with these two recent EPO positives, well everyone on the planet knew/knows. Much like the reasoned decision, these guys will not say one F-ing thing because their own skins are backed by these EPO fueled riders, but after the fact they come out like Nostradamus, and of course stating they are clean! Wait didn't we hear that before? Yet it repeats.

Nothing has changed and nothing will, those who preach change are just basically living out on some alternative reality from Pro Cycling.

In closing, I should know, "I'm involved with Pro Cycling", AB 3:16.

ElChingon said:
Well this proves that not only EPO works and that no matter how many tests are devised against it or to identify it, its benefits outweigh the risks of getting caught. Those riders still using it know they can get away with it and are, the testing if its still going on is still the same random testing and I'm sure there are still riders who can find out if they're on the random test list and plan accordingly, its not like that secret test scenario has changed. The supposed old unused PED EPO was put on the dopers shelves as a momento but as we see it has not been put up on the shelves and is still helping some get a contract and earn a living way past the official post 2006 there is no doping in cycling time line. The changes are proving to be in pro cycling marketing not the reality of what is going on or still going on. Is it dumb to use EPO? Well if you add up the salary earned with it and the statistics of getting caught and if caught its totally worth it.

All the riders who are now coming out saying they knew or had a hint of what was going on with these two recent EPO positives, well everyone on the planet knew/knows. Much like the reasoned decision, these guys will not say one F-ing thing because their own skins are backed by these EPO fueled riders, but after the fact they come out like Nostradamus, and of course stating they are clean! Wait didn't we hear that before? Yet it repeats.

Nothing has changed and nothing will, those who preach change are just basically living out on some alternative reality from Pro Cycling.

In closing, I should know, "I'm involved with Pro Cycling", AB 3:16.
Dude, i like you but please don't steal my thunder :p :D
http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showthread.php?p=1250211#post1250211

thehog said:
When Di Luca went down obviously Santa laid off his last two micro-doses and he went back to being his normal self.

Which lead us to believe the team management is somewhat aware of what they were doing in the first place. What I sttill don't get is why EPO-well knowing the risks to get caught-perhaps no money to get some BBags?
In retrospective-the entire charade of throwing DiLuca out on the streets like a dog really makes me laugh after this new scandal...:p:D